2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I had better things to report on from Gower Point, but don't. Went out there yesterday from about 2:30 pm to 6 pm. Was super excited to get a jack-sized Chinook at 95' within the first five minutes, but after releasing it, got bupkis for the next 3 hours as I headed north past Camp Byng. Barely saw anything at all on the screen either. Guessing that it may be you have a slightly better chance closer to the Howe Sound waters, but nothing to write home about. I saw a few other boats. Talked to a guy in one of them - he said he didn't get a single bite there. Anyone else have anything to report from Gower?

Fished Cowans yesterday 10-2. Lots of action but all wild coho. Saw a suspicious unmarked aluminum flat bottom boat pulling large strings of prawn traps with no bouys attached. Reported to DFO who said they were investigating. If anyone out at Cowans today keep an eye out as they dropped traps again so will likely be there to pick up today.

I'm west of gower by 10 kms or so, I havent fished much locally and have not seen any coho. I have seen some nice springs on the troll west of byng in the past 2 days, it's been pretty scratchy with the big NW winds.

Was off SW Bowen Island this morning and caught 3 nice Chinook, release beside the boat with gaff. Went to SE Bowen late morning and caught 2 more. No sign of the Coho for me.

Fished West Van today 12:00 to 1:00 and picked up 2 dinner sized hatchery cohos and missed another hit. All 3 hits at 26’ on rigger on the hootchie pictured. All hits in about 100’ of water in front of that first beach just east of lighthouse park. Trolling as fast as my kicker can push the boat. The male had an empty gut. The female about 6 small anchovies in a full gut
B3911862-ED04-4197-937C-105E497A5AF0.jpeg A6FA533D-6F57-4F2E-9FAD-FAC1EF571BCF.jpeg 7B01AB8E-5886-4AC1-B4A5-BAAEEA97333F.jpeg

Is that the green onion chartreuse flasher? Is it just me, or does that seem to work pretty much at all depths?
Probably. I’m not sure of the names of anything really. I forget as soon as the wrap comes off. But pretty much all the flashers I run are glow regardless of depth. Can’t be bothered to buy others when these work. In my opinion it is the movement of the flasher through the water that attracts the fish and is more important than the colour. But I do like to match flasher and lure colours. A superstition of mine. The side I was running with a skinny G spoon didn’t get a sniff. Also - when fishing a hootchie I remove the swivel between the flasher and lure. Spins the hootchie around way more.

Not much luck with skinny G's for me also, only juvies chinooks every time I used them no matter The colours.
White hootchie and green splatter back hootchie work great so far. Now just need to find something that just hatchery coho like so I dont have to stick all those wilds.

.... I haven't had much luck with Skinny Gs so far on Cohos either
They were murder on Coho at Duval Point last week.

IMGP0281.jpg

Got out today from 12 - 4 PM. trolled from Point Cowan to Tunstall bay and back. 1 Shaker, two small fish off right at the boat, not sure who it was but 100 % wild. And one mini-chinook. 50 feet on riggers, big and small white hoochies. Seems like it's time to start moving out early to fisheries and capilano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back