2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trail Islands or further North?
With most areas closed for retention and only slot sizes open in certain areas I think it's best to try not to get lot's of boats in specific areas which just gets everyone frustrated more than anything. We have been seeing some areas with boats crammed in small areas from 15 to 40 boats all tacking same spots. So trying not to cause that to happen in more areas. We have fished no crowded areas at all. Only seen a couple boats here and there where we've been fishing. The fish are all through the straight we have been finding.
Have been getting them from Sechelt and way up further this week on both sides of the straight. Depending on wind directions, have been fishing all over the open slot size areas.

As well maybe we could keep local reports local. Post in appropriate area listings.
Out at Cowan right now. Nasty on the outside. Was going to try for Gower but gave up. Try here and make the best of it. One small spring on the outside of Cowan. Purple haze hootchie at 29’ on the rigger. Doing 2.6-2.7.

Fished cap - fisheries this evening. Lots of logs and not a single hit. Shallow 30-60ft. Marked lots of bait near fisheries and pink apartments

Follow up report from Saturday since nobody else is posting reports.

After pulling up from the Gower/Cape Roger Curtis area due to the NW winds (and associated waves) I headed down toward Cowan Point on Bowen. Several boats were motoring past me in to the NW wind, especially right around Cowan. I dropped in to the calm water and within 5 minutes of getting my gear in the water I had a solid fish on. Took a few little runs and had about a 75cm chinook on. Quick plier release at the side of the boat. Trolled around for another hour without much happening. I was gazing out on the horizon looking toward Point Grey and saw a puff of mist from a whale! Moments later the back of a humpback whale was visible as it was diving down. Cool! I've never seen a humpback in the Vancouver area before. Another half hour and I had a coho on. It went spastic right near the boat and got off the line. Bummer.

About 20-25 boats were milling around the area by the time I left around 12:30. It was windy but not rough there.

cowan.jpg

For anyone wondering, winds are down residuals are still up. Mixed with the ebb she’s .25-.5 m and short. Sitting off the hump, fishable. RC is a little nautical. Going west or north if she settles a bit

I'm off the west side of Roberts creeks right now and it's really nice. Barely a whisper of breeze and it's just going to drop more. Still some rollers but they're finally gone. 3 day NW blow typically for July.

I'm off the west side of Roberts creeks right now and it's really nice. Barely a whisper of breeze and it's just going to drop more. Still some rollers but they're finally gone. 3 day NW blow typically for July.
I came home yesterday afternoon from Nelson Island. Anyone ever see a 15000lb boat get airborne? Good to be home. Will be back to reporting all my 20 lbers shortly ;)

Thanks for the update. Pretty nice once out of Howe sounds reach. Just got to entrance will put up a report later.

Entrance has been a bit of a grind. Everything but legal chinook. Tonnes of small coho down deep, under chinooks and rockfish.
Moved out deeper and south and hit a double both good fish, didn’t see one and bagged a 77cm hatch red. Chartreuse splatter/BC flasher 217 on the rigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back