2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2-1/2 hours in the harbour for me today. Not a sniff but still lots of stuff on the sounder. Saw seals doing the pack hunting thing again. Hit a nasty snag between the 1st and 2nd mike markers at 70’ - ripped of my cannonball and the fishing line was still snagged. Backed up to get on top of it. Must be tying my knots too tight because the rod broke before the line did!!! Fun day nonetheless.

Attachments

• CD876F68-0D81-4C97-B49E-B1D308430535.jpeg
    CD876F68-0D81-4C97-B49E-B1D308430535.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Fished 11:30-3:30 mile markers to Bell to QB. Had 4 fish on. 2 barely under. Kitchen sink on green glow flasher at the bottom. Needle fish AP spoon on purple haze also produced. It was a bit choppy west of the bell but overall a great day to be out on the water in November. Crabbing was OK and we found 2 keepers in one trap. Can’t wait to get out to the Sound and try some prawning.

Saw some wired looking crane ship that was anchored in English bay. Anyone knows what the heck this thing is for?.
those r a bunch of new container cranes loaded onto a freighter waiting for a call to be unloaded for their new home

2-1/2 hours in the harbour for me today. Not a sniff but still lots of stuff on the sounder. Saw seals doing the pack hunting thing again. Hit a nasty snag between the 1st and 2nd mike markers at 70’ - ripped of my cannonball and the fishing line was still snagged. Backed up to get on top of it. Must be tying my nots too tight because the rod broke before the line did!!! Fun day nonetheless.
I had same happen to me at that spot. Im sure depth said 90-100 and rigger at 70. Lost ball and fishing gear. Could it be a cable ??
I tried back ing over it no luck.

We had a couple of hours to get out from 2pm to sundown (at 4:30!). Dropped the crab traps in 40 and 45 feet off Spanish Banks and did well – 4 keepers and traps pretty full. Fishing was less successful trolling between the western mile marker and beyond the bell buoy. Kept the cannonball down to bottom, marked lots of bait and fish but only managed 2 shakers. Still a great November afternoon.

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

Its the Zhen Hua 35 and is arriving from Shanghai carrying container cranes for Vancouver Terminal.

If you ever want to find out about a vessel just go to marinetraffic.com. It has live info on all ships in the world.

We had a couple of hours to get out from 2pm to sundown (at 4:30!). Dropped the crab traps in 40 and 45 feet off Spanish Banks and did well – 4 keepers and traps pretty full. Fishing was less successful trolling between the western mile marker and beyond the bell buoy. Kept the cannonball down to bottom, marked lots of bait and fish but only managed 2 shakers. Still a great November afternoon.

View attachment 58916

View attachment 58917
Great looking crab haul. Well done!!

Thinking of heading up to Porteau Cove to get a day of prawning in the next couple of weeks if we get a good day ..does anyone know if the boat launch at the provincial park is open?

Thinking of heading up to Porteau Cove to get a day of prawning in the next couple of weeks if we get a good day ..does anyone know if the boat launch at the provincial park is open?
I’m staying at Porteau Cove now.
boat launch and campground are open. Shower facilities closed.
Prawning has been decent. A few smaller ones and big berried females in the mix.

Attachments

• 1550B154-EF47-4BAE-8839-3D381E0311B2.jpeg
    1550B154-EF47-4BAE-8839-3D381E0311B2.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 106
I’m staying at Porteau Cove now.
boat launch and campground are open. Shower facilities closed.
Prawning has been decent. A few smaller ones and big berried females in the mix.
Thanks for the update if you coming up for the day is there trailer parking and is there any winters around ?

Thanks for the update if you coming up for the day is there trailer parking and is there any winters around ?
Free launch. Free parking for the day.
I left the trolling gear at home, but there’s a couple boats trolling right out front.
it’s glassy & sunny right now.

May I ask an unrelated question. I am just about to start prawning. What bait do you use? And where do you get the bait? Is it pallets for regular fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back