2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is quite the fishery in Puget Sound so figured I would try for squid in English Bay last night - no signs of them but gonna give it a shot once a month over the winter. If anyone else has tried and had any luck locally would love to hear about it.

It is quite the fishery in Puget Sound so figured I would try for squid in English Bay last night - no signs of them but gonna give it a shot once a month over the winter. If anyone else has tried and had any luck locally would love to hear about it.
I would love to try this. I've only ever seen them at Salt Spring mid summer under the lights.

the issue in vancouver is the salinity , with the fraser runoff it is just not salty enough for them to spawn around vancouver , closest i have seen was a small nest in nanoose bay

the issue in vancouver is the salinity , with the fraser runoff it is just not salty enough for them to spawn around vancouver , closest i have seen was a small nest in nanoose bay

They are definitely here. We just haven't figured out the how, when and where aspect of catching them locally. Largely because their is zero effort I think. Lots of info on how to catch them a bit south of us if you google "Seattle Squid Fishing". Not sure how salinity may or may not affect their spawning but that is only a surface water issue.

Have a look at this article:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sixgill-sharks-vancouver-1.5195910
To quote:".....tons and tons of squid species that we don't really see much of in shallow water in that part of Vancouver"
This was a kilometre off of UBC in 300 feet of water. Like many species squid are deep during the day and come up at nightfall.

Also:
- I snagged and brought to the surface a ghost crab trap close to Tunstall once - covered in squid eggs,
- a guide once told me he caught a 12" squid at Hole in the Wall while trolling deep with an anchovy,
- I tried last winter once, and did see one small squid swimming around attracted to the lights but not my jig.
- I've heard a report of a squids in False creek during the summer months

So they are here but it's the how, when, and where that will require some effort to narrow it down.

They are definitely here. We just haven't figured out the how, when and where aspect of catching them locally. Largely because their is zero effort I think. Lots of info on how to catch them a bit south of us if you google "Seattle Squid Fishing". Not sure how salinity may or may not affect their spawning but that is only a surface water issue.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sixgill-sharks-vancouver-1.5195910
To quote:".....tons and tons of squid species that we don't really see much of in shallow water in that part of Vancouver"
This was a kilometre off of UBC in 300 feet of water. Like many species squid are deep during the day and come up at nightfall.

Also:
- I snagged and brought to the surface a ghost crab trap close to Tunstall once - covered in squid eggs,
- a guide once told me he caught a 12" squid at Hole in the Wall while trolling deep with an anchovy,
- I tried last winter once, and did see one small squid swimming around attracted to the lights but not my jig.

So they are here but it's the how, when, and where that will require some effort to narrow it down.
I've had jigs at the ready at all times since that day 5 years ago...

.....I've heard a report of a squids in False creek during the summer months...
I cycle around FC all the time and always stop, rest and check out what's going on in the water-ever ever seen Squid but every other kind of bait Yes.

Hi All-- I know this is a long shot, but I think I left my 5-year-old son's fishing hat on a mid-river island on the Stave river last weekend. It is a cool black and orange Berry's Bait trucker hat, and he is sad to be missing it. If anybody found/finds it, I would love to get it back. Thanks.

Hi All-- I know this is a long shot, but I think I left my 5-year-old son's fishing hat on a mid-river island on the Stave river last weekend. It is a cool black and orange Berry's Bait trucker hat, and he is sad to be missing it. If anybody found/finds it, I would love to get it back. Thanks.
I’d post this on a fresh water fishing forum like Fishing with Rod. You may have a better luck.

Hey... site is back. Tried to post yesterday but site was under maintenance.
4-5 more boats showed up. At the end we got 3 to the boat, all undersized unfortunately (keeping it legit and legal boys). One got away (that May had been borderline). We were there until 1 or so. Fishing mostly at the bottom and got most between 125-165.

Then we headed back to harbour and fished the line between red bell buoy and first mile marker in front of Spanish banks. One shaker and we landed one. Also undersized.
Not bad for a short day. But the winner of the day was crabbing.

Fished from 11-4 in the harbour and mile markers, close to bottom or bottom bouncing, skunked not even a shaker. Both crab traps were also skunked however there was a suspicious blue hull sea ray looking boat that spent some time near my buoys (slow fishing so had the binoculars on em!).

Also:

if there is such an abundance of squid around our local waters why are they not turning up in our chinooks stomaches like other areas on the coast?

if there is such an abundance of squid around our local waters why are they not turning up in our chinooks stomaches like other areas on the coast?
I never said there’s an abundance but our waters are not void of them and we really do not know much about their migrations and habits which may not even be consistent year to year. Are Chinook in Puget Sound caught with squid in them? In any case will keep trying every once in a while and report if anything to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back