2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redemption for the nice one I lost yesterday. Wanted to cross the straight today but South Easterly was blowing pretty good so tucked up the sound a ways, dropped the prawn traps out and put the rods out. This nice fatty smashed a 7" Herring bouncing the bottom at 240 ft. Shortly after released another one about 10 lbs. A couple under sized as well. All on Herring.

FB_IMG_1584914382891.jpg

Was at hump on Saturday, no keepers but oddly I picked up two greenlings 150 feet down in 500 feet of water.

Noneltheless - watch out for rolling boat launch closures coming up! Vanier launch is open for the pickup of boats but the lot is closed until further notice.

Was at hump on Saturday, no keepers but oddly I picked up two greenlings 150 feet down in 500 feet of water.

Noneltheless - watch out for rolling boat launch closures coming up! Vanier launch is open for the pickup of boats but the lot is closed until further notice.
I just spoke with Burrard Marina, public launch (Vanier) is not closed and they don't foresee that happening. Did you see a sign somewhere suggesting it was closed? Parking has been closed in the area for kits beach but not for truck/trailer parking.

You sure they were greenlings and not walleye pollock? Greenling out that deep and suspended would be suuuuper rare . The pollock can be thick in the spring out there some times , then some years non existent . One of the best lingcod baits you can find , run em live .

You sure they were greenlings and not walleye pollock? Greenling out that deep and suspended would be suuuuper rare . The pollock can be thick in the spring out there some times , then some years non existent . One of the best lingcod baits you can find , run em live .

They certainly were not pollock. I often catch them as well (will keep for ling bait in the future...thx for the tip) and you are correct...I usually get the pollock in the spring but these were, without a doubt...greeling! This is why I mentioned that I found it odd. They shouldn't have been there. Two of them even.

They certainly were not pollock. I often catch them as well (will keep for ling bait in the future...thx for the tip) and you are correct...I usually get the pollock in the spring but these were, without a doubt...greeling! This is why I mentioned that I found it odd. They shouldn't have been there. Two of them even.

in that case that’s pretty cool then! Have always found it interesting getting bottom dwellers up in the water column, hali it is pretty common but for other species not so much. Snagged a 20 lb ling in the butt two seasons ago off thrasher , 81’ in 500’ , go figure

They were following you since you left the shallows of the RCA ;)

in that case that’s pretty cool then! Have always found it interesting getting bottom dwellers up in the water column, hali it is pretty common but for other species not so much. Snagged a 20 lb ling in the butt two seasons ago off thrasher , 81’ in 500’ , go figure
Halibut...I wish! Never caught one unfortunately, been on the chuck for about 10 years, but only local. Might go try to figure it out this year somewhere. Not sure where yet. Uculet maybe? My inbox is accepting suggestions, lol. I hope your ling was in season, be a shame to have to put it back.

On the commercial troller on the west coast we would catch lings on the surface sometimes and lots of foul hooked ones because they attack the flasher lots of teeth marks on the flashers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back