2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping weather holds for this weekend. Want to get out Saturday. have been out 4 times so far with new boat, with nothing to show for it. Lucks gotta change soon. Thinking Tunstall or freighters. Any suggestions?
Heading up the sound tomorrow morning and possibly Friday, will send updates

View attachment 51369 This was in one off my traps today, anyone know what it is? It sure was feisty niped me 3 times trying to get it back overboard
Hoping weather holds for this weekend. Want to get out Saturday. have been out 4 times so far with new boat, with nothing to show for it. Lucks gotta change soon. Thinking Tunstall or freighters. Any suggestions?

I was out yesterday. Started at the bell went out to the QA. On the return at about the westerly mile marker, while tending to rods on one side of the boat I looked over my shoulder and saw one rod doubled over and line peeling out of it. Thought I might be in a trap. Picked up the rod and didn't feel anything so put it back in the holder, swung the boat around and chased it down. Got 2/3 of the line back when I realized it was a seal. After another 10-15 min he surfaced close enough that I did not see any fish in its mouth. It was then I realized he was pinned with my lure. I got within about 20' and fortunately had just flipped the line on the reel so new line on top. Just got taught, pointed the rod at him and waited for him to swim away with my $15 Tomic. I hope it goes septic on the p%#*@. After that, lost a shaker in normal fashion, then picked another fish and seal. Its rampant this year. I usually have a seal encounter once every 4 or 5 yrs. This is the 6th time in 5 outings. By 11;30 the wind was up, couldn't even troll solo into the wind so called it a day. Unfortunately I did not pay enough attention to my battery terminals and had to come in on the kicker. Once home established what the problem was and all good now. I haven't been able to get out to Tunstall at all but myself and Chromie are thinking to hit the south side of Bowen for the last week. Hopefully there are less seals out there. Real frustrating day yesterday.

Managed to get the lines wet from 1-3PM at the Bell-ish area. Wife and kid had a nap down below :). 200' of water (riggers at 200 and 230) about a third of the way to QA I had a shaker on every 5 minutes. Bloody exhausting. After over a dozen I switched over to plugs but no luck after that. Trolled East the whole time to keep the noise down in the V-Berth. Marked tons of bait and fish the whole way. A few keeper crabs for dinner at least. Gorgeous Day.

Headed to Grace yesterday morning. Just as we were pulling in we noticed a pod of orca swimming through. Turned around and headed to Tunstall. Lots of boats, nice water. Didn’t notice much bait but did see one fish landed. Stayed a while then moved out to the cape. Beauty day, lots of prawns but no salmon.

Managed to get the lines wet from 1-3PM at the Bell-ish area. Wife and kid had a nap down below :). 200' of water (riggers at 200 and 230) about a third of the way to QA I had a shaker on every 5 minutes. Bloody exhausting. After over a dozen I switched over to plugs but no luck after that. Trolled East the whole time to keep the noise down in the V-Berth. Marked tons of bait and fish the whole way. A few keeper crabs for dinner at least. Gorgeous Day.
I’ll come nap on your boat, wake me up when there’s a pin popper on! Deal?

10-1 at the waterfall. 1 60cm and 1 smaller. Moved to Grower Pt. Bit of a bite with 4-5 unders until it fizzled out around 4:00. 2 crabs for dinner and back for the prawn traps tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back