2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting them last year out front of bedwell from the closed area trolling to tilly point along the contour lines and around the hump infront of Wallace point.

Thanks I might give that a shot.

Fished all over the place today for the SAA "round-up" derby. Released a few undersized, lost a keeper at the boat, and released an unclipped oversized. Im not usually able to fish this derby because Im up north working... normally I wouldnt mind these regs because I release what I catch anyways unless Im fishing with someone else, but for derbies it sucks! All my fav fishing spots are closed to retention, the slot size is silly in that it probably just leads to more damage to the fish that get measured and released, and if there wasnt a slot size you probably wouldnt be able to keep unclipped fish. Oh and Sidney Channel is a minefield of commercial traps.

Not a huge deal for guys like me that just enjoy the tug of war and dont care about filling a freezer, but it sucks bigtime for the anglers that eat fish regularly, as well as the fish.

Man I really wish there was an easy way to find out about derbies across the island. I live in sidney and had no idea there was a derby. Thats super disappointing.

Its not much of a derby really. Just a chance for members to get out and enjoy the day fishing. Its free to enter for members and top prize is 100 bucks. :p

Still. They mainly just give me motivation to get out and fish hard. Honestly though. Having a hub for derbys on the island to advertise their competition is an idea that would be super beneficial for everyone.

Still. They mainly just give me motivation to get out and fish hard. Honestly though. Having a hub for derbys on the island to advertise their competition is an idea that would be super beneficial for everyone.
Start a thread on this forum. Could be your thread every year. There are forum members involved in most open derbies.

Tried some Halibut fishing in Haro St. near Zero Rock. My luck tracking the elusive flat fish continues. Maybe next time?

Seems like the Sidney area has been quiet based upon both my lack of success and the few reports here. Picked up two nice fish this morning on the morning ebb. 80 and 79 cm respectively, 17 and 15 pounds.

About 100' on anchovies.

Also caught and released an 8 pound wild Coho

IMG_3248.JPG

Seems like the Sidney area has been quiet based upon both my lack of success and the few reports here. Picked up two nice fish this morning on the morning ebb. 80 and 79 cm respectively, 17 and 15 pounds.

About 100' on anchovies.

Also caught and released an 8 pound wild Coho

View attachment 56423
Looks as if you may be in the closed part of moresby??

Tried the open side of Moresby for a short time yesterday morning. Lots of shakers but nothing of any size. Lots of bait marked. Also had what seems to be my annual RCMP safety check ( I’m sure it’s more than that) and passed again. Constable was friendly and efficient and frankly I’m glad to see them out there.

Definitley not Tilly point , there is no fish there period. I haven't seen to many nets out in that area for the past 2 mths.

Photo was taken at Tilley point. Never said fish were caught there. Could have been caught in the closed portion of Moresby as Brett initially thought, and then carpeweekend motored over to Tilley to take a picture for all I know. Only carpeweekend can tell us. By the way, why post a fishing report if you are only going to tell us the lure and depth, not location? I would rather just have location then let me figure out lure and depth.

Photo was taken at Tilley point. Never said fish were caught there. Could have been caught in the closed portion of Moresby as Brett initially thought, and then carpeweekend motored over to Tilley to take a picture for all I know. Only carpeweekend can tell us. By the way, why post a fishing report if you are only going to tell us the lure and depth, not location? I would rather just have location then let me figure out lure and depth.
I agree completely! The photo EXIF data indicates it was taken at Tilley point on an I phone 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back