2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh...been down this road so many times. Why is it impossible for some people to simply enjoy someone else's experience via words or photos? A detailed account could be all BS anyway...not that fisherman are ever accused of that! Besides, Salmon move, so whatever depth and location and gear and smelly jelly and soda pop I drank today etc may have worked for me but doesn't guarantee it will work for someone else tomorrow! Hope everyone has a great end to the season...the weather looks good for awhile so get out and enjoy!

Fished the open area of Pender yesterday morning and the tide was ripping. Thought I might as well move over to Morseby and give it a shot. Moresby once again had lots of bait (and shakers). Caught and released one under 62 cm and then packed it in as I couldn’t keep the shakers off. Beautiful day out there none the less.

Or, you guys could have just asked rather than accusing me of fishing illegally in a closed area. Yes, the picture was taken and the fish were caught at Tilley Point. The only reason I didn't mention it is that it is a relatively small area to fish. Given that there was fish there, it is likely that there was also a wave of fish in the general Sidney area moving through so I thought it would still be helpful. It is troll like behaviour like this that results in no one posting reports.

Let’s just do reports and assume that the fisher folk on this forum know what they’re doing.please..? Unless it’s obviously otherwise, please
You're right, I always try to assume the best in folks - but it's worth noting that the area around Coal is closed for retention until October.
Good fish though, I miss Sidney waters...

I know Carpeweekend personally and hes a stand-up guy. He is a SAA member, he donates his time and possibly his money to SAA causes and events, and he eats his vegetables. He stays up to date on the regs and I dont believe hed intentionally harvest a fish illegally.

For what its worth I do see a lot of people trolling in the non-retention zone at Coal, which is fine if youre not retaining fish. Last time I was out there I saw a guy appear to net a fish in area 18-6, so it does happen. I dont agree with how the Sidney area is regulated in some respects but the rules are the rules. Obviously I dont condone crucifying anyone who posts a report without any evidence of wrongdoing. Tbh one of the reasons I dont post as many reports these days is its the same few people providing info time and time again, while the vast majority have nothing positive to contribute.

While were at it, does anyone know difinitively if a fish thats hooked in the non-retention zone but netted in the open zone is retainable, or would it have to be hooked and netted outside the non-retention zone? If its the former whats stopping anybody from doing laps in the non-ret zone and dragging their fish to open water before netting? I would suspect its the latter but what do I know. :confused:

I sure appreciate the guys still posting reports. I haven’t been able to get out much this year so can’t report any successes. As soon as my boats ready I’ll report prolifically regardless of any feedback. Veteran members of the forum keep saying they don’t report anymore. I’d like to avoid losing any other members. The fishing reports are what brought me to the forum. I’ve learnt a lot from veteran members here. And it feels as if there are a lot of names missing as compared to years ago. I don’t want great fisher folk to be run off of sharing here.
That being said, if I were to report I went out alone, fished the south east side of Darcy and show a picture of my fish box with six lingcod and eight rockfish feel free to publicly hang me and call the poacher line/Dfo.
Anyways, that’s my piece. I won’t be repeating it and back to reports!

Last edited:
That
I know Carpeweekend personally and hes a stand-up guy. He is a SAA member, he donates his time and possibly his money to SAA causes and events, and he eats his vegetables. He stays up to date on the regs and I dont believe hed intentionally harvest a fish illegally.

For what its worth I do see a lot of people trolling in the non-retention zone at Coal, which is fine if youre not retaining fish. Last time I was out there I saw a guy appear to net a fish in area 18-6, so it does happen. I dont agree with how the Sidney area is regulated in some respects but the rules are the rules. Obviously I dont condone crucifying anyone who posts a report without any evidence of wrongdoing. Tbh one of the reasons I dont post as many reports these days is its the same few people providing info time and time again, while the vast majority have nothing positive to contribute.

While were at it, does anyone know difinitively if a fish thats hooked in the non-retention zone but netted in the open zone is retainable, or would it have to be hooked and netted outside the non-retention zone? If its the former whats stopping anybody from doing laps in the non-ret zone and dragging their fish to open water before netting? I would suspect its the latter but what do I know. :confused:
hahaha. “doing laps in the non-ret zone and dragging their fish to open water“ too funny.

@RogersonCrusoe is a funny and helpful member who contributes a lot of quality to the forum. He gives detailed reports when he goes out.
Coal island has a much larger closed area this year that in years past so I think he was just trying to help other members that weren’t aware of that.
I was called out for keeping a wild coho a couple of years ago in an area that I didn’t realize you couldn’t keep one. I was glad someone told me. Sidney is a **** show of random closed areas and some areas are retention and some are non retention.

moving on... I’m going out today for a couple of hours. I’ll let y’all know what goes down!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back