2020 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome report BrettMcK, great to hear all the effort and drive from everyone that fishes there guts out in an are that has been not only tampered by DFO this day and age,, but also from the weather. The wind and rough seas have been a definite challenge for everyone, No matter the size of the craft!..

I have spent some time at the Pillings, Quarry. Epsom etc. this past Spring/Summer and will agree with EVERYONE.. that it Has slown down.. i listen to alot of very close frinds that know the fishery and ocean a TON better than I do.. or ever will. The Chinook and HO’s have been a good rin from here in Pender.. BUT.. UNREAL if you find them! We spend a bit more time on the cruising speed and on our knees (LOL) to Fegans, Upwood, Anderson bay etc. this year,, Its worth it. The Chinook and HO’s are active! Good luck out there!

New to this site, but been following it for a bit.

Up in Pender right now for the next two weeks and was hoping for a little guidance. Fished Epsom a lot last year, great success but want to do something a little closer this year.

Just hooked on to a nice 4# Wild coho just infront of Pearson island and wasn't even trying for fish! Doing a dry run with the gear and didn't even have the net haha

Any help would be great! Thanks a lot Area 16!

New to this site, but been following it for a bit.

Up in Pender right now for the next two weeks and was hoping for a little guidance. Fished Epsom a lot last year, great success but want to do something a little closer this year.

Just hooked on to a nice 4# Wild coho just infront of Pearson island and wasn't even trying for fish! Doing a dry run with the gear and didn't even have the net haha

Any help would be great! Thanks a lot Area 16!
Quarry bay and the A frame are good bets right now. Nice and close to the harbour.

Anybody have any updates for south end of Texada / Epsom Pt areas? As expected it has slowed right down in Pender area for me.

Bump

With this weather, you may want to rip out to Sangster, it has been fishiest by far this summer at least for me. Or have at it off epsom with livies...

My thoughts exactly, the forecast and tide times for this weekend suggest an end of season attempt in that area.

Was out all day yesterday, fished quarry, fearney and the a frame. Was slow. Few real small unders off Daniel smolt like. And I’m positive we lost a coho 30’ off the stearn near Nelson rock but that was it after a long day on the water. Long tackin lazy fishing lol. Was a beauty flat calm day out there. In retrospect would have made a run to upwood or epsom for fish but was just nice floatin around close to the harbour in such hot weather, soakin a couple lines. Was running flasher hoochie/flasher spoon. Fishing 30-140 on riggers in 50-250ft of water.
Great times with friends and love exploring all the structure up here.

best of luck to all for the rest the season.
May be a bit before I get out again as I am moving but will report back when I do.

hello all, just wondering if anyone has a report for north end of Texada?
doing a long run from comox up to kitty coleman lately with good results, ( blue meannie , or spoon on a flasher, on the bottom at 180) but looking to expand and try marshall pt or kiddie point, could even end up at Grants reef.
any input would be appreciated
thanks

hello all, just wondering if anyone has a report for north end of Texada?
doing a long run from comox up to kitty coleman lately with good results, ( blue meannie , or spoon on a flasher, on the bottom at 180) but looking to expand and try marshall pt or kiddie point, could even end up at Grants reef.
any input would be appreciated
thanks
Couple of my friends were fishing the north end of Texada for a few days last week but came back Wednesday. They did pretty good there with a few keepers and lot's of undersized Springs. They were pulling spoons and hootchies. Not sure if the fish area still around as it's been a few days but it's a bit of a report for you.

Looks like a beautiful spot you've got there. Is this a private cottage or Air BNB?
Its not an airbnb. We found it about 8 years ago and have been coming every year. Their website is down right now for some reason. Its called gunboat haven. A private vacation rental.

Was out all day yesterday, fished quarry, fearney and the a frame. Was slow. Few real small unders off Daniel smolt like. And I’m positive we lost a coho 30’ off the stearn near Nelson rock but that was it after a long day on the water. Long tackin lazy fishing lol. Was a beauty flat calm day out there. In retrospect would have made a run to upwood or epsom for fish but was just nice floatin around close to the harbour in such hot weather, soakin a couple lines. Was running flasher hoochie/flasher spoon. Fishing 30-140 on riggers in 50-250ft of water.
Great times with friends and love exploring all the structure up here.

best of luck to all for the rest the season.
May be a bit before I get out again as I am moving but will report back when I do.
I fished upwood hard yesterday (beautiful weather!) and there were about 4 - 5 boats out there with me. Some undersize but no keepers. Didn’t see or hear of any keepers. In fact several boats were back and forth between Epsom and Upwoods.
I was targeting deep (160-180) in 200 - 350’ with hootchies, spoons, and tonic plugs. Summer might be over for salmon in the PH area.
Gonna try another shot at high tide around Epsom and see if I can find a straggler.

Fished piling a yesterday all close to to keepers mid 50cm Anchovies were the winner. today fished Epsom caught one keeper nookie.
Fished homeland security at 99 in all depths produced most strikes. More action at back of. Gap.

Fished around Pearson Island and a bit into agamemmon channel yesterday. One rod at 40 with a blue coyote, and the other at 150 with a swim jig. No love for us. Will try hoochies today.
Managed to scrape together a few dozen prawns.
Screenshot_20200817-071600_Photos.jpg

For late season prawing we continue to do well............ for my standards anyways. Another 50 today. Also did a nice little trip to green bay as momma and son wanted to do some kayaking. Me and my younger boy stayed back and did some jigging ..........when the save of the year happened and caught on film! Had to let him go as he was under by a couple inches......... oh well, still an incredible place we get as our playground!! Love BC! Love being on the water!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-220427_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-220427_Photos.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
With this weather, you may want to rip out to Sangster, it has been fishiest by far this summer at least for me. Or have at it off epsom with livies...
I fished Sangster all morning on Saturday, lots of boats there & nothing but a few shakers, lots of bait on sounder but nothing doing, tried spoons & hootchies running deep 200 plus on riggers down to where bait was.

I fished Sangster all morning on Saturday, lots of boats there & nothing but a few shakers, lots of bait on sounder but nothing doing, tried spoons & hootchies running deep 200 plus on riggers down to where bait was.

Thanks, I have friends on Savary Island and chatted with them yesterday. They said all the usual spots around there are super slow as well. I am actually going to rip out from Vancouver this morning and have a peek around Roberts Creek today, I was there on Saturday and it was boiling with coho bit only small chinooks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back