2020 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who didn't spend too much time at the Wakefield anyway...man they killed the spirit in West Sechelt the day Sparling ripped that place down. Never mind the Peninsula Hotel off the highway near Gibsons haha. Anyway I know my buddy picked up a nice looking ling tonight somewhere off Secret Cove reefs....will try and find out where.

holy **** I forgot about the Pen Motor Inn... fitting ending to her story!

Don't forget Coopers Green, it was a private campsite/picnic site with a launch ramp that you had to pay for. I seem to remember it was either a 1 or 2 bucks in&out. My dad always launched there until he got moorage at Buccaneer Bay Marina. Launching at Coopers Green we got bait at Mary Island from the lighthouse keeper 2-3$/ doz. I seem to remember. It was Great Coho fishing at the bottom end of Mary Isl.

damn the NW! lumpy out there today...

started at Upwood last night at the low slack and was slow (no bites or bait).. then went to Bjerre and it was lights out! maybe the best chinook fishing i've had on the Bjerre in 30 years. fished the rising tide from around 5-9pm. not a single coho though. i've never seen so many marks on the axiom (big big herring balls all painted with schools of nooks).

biggest fish was an absolute hog hatchery that looked in the low 20s, and a wild in the ~high teens. the rest were in the 8-12# range. no undersize, not one. hooked up close to 20 times and had 12 to 13 fish to the boat. left the net at home - gaff released.

Sapporo Ichiban and Sun Chips for dinner - f*ck you DFO

toying with the idea of sneaking over to Upwood later if this NW eases.. does not look promising!

Last edited:
Very excited to get up there, getting rigged up today. We will target coho and ling this trip. Were making our way to nootka mid-july so we can actually keep a chinook.

I'm watching the winds rip right now but I bet there's a window to hide around upwood to Anderson bay and am gonna get the boat washed this afternoon.

I'm watching the winds rip right now but I bet there's a window to hide around upwood to Anderson bay and am gonna get the boat washed this afternoon.

yeaappp.. even a dawn session was a no go. the winds did ease overnight but came up pretty quick again. i saw one ~22-24' aluminum boat taking a southerly pass ~1hr ago down the bjerre from francis penn.. he/she did not take a second pass north! enough said. supposed to get up to 30kn again.

i popped out yesterday afternoon/evening and fished the south end of thormanby from ~pirate rock to ~fraser rock - was nice and calm in the lee of NW. had one really good hit that didn't hook up, and tossed back 2 undersized ling.

cool zones though, i explored some of those mini bays on the SW side of south thormanby. several of them were loaded with balls of chovies (and what looked to be blooms of red tide) and there were loads of salmon marking on the sounder. this was in ~20-60 feet of water! tried jigging a l'il nib just above the balls, no hits, but super fun. some beautiful spots around that side of the island - several hidden little cobble beaches.

Nice does Buccaneer Bay have livies? I've poked around those bays before but never bonked anything much down there.

Yep Buccaneer has livies. Neat bays for sure down there, no bonk yet either. Maybe the next NW!

It was riiiiiping out front today just watched boat after boat get hammered off the straits. Apparently a bayliner smoked a log off nanaimo and required a rescue this afternoon. I gotta RIP back to town tomorrow at first light but I will be back Thursday night for the weekend. My plan is to head to squitty this weekend for some July 15 recon. Keep the reports coming! Btw the crabbing down our way is epic.

It was riiiiiping out front today just watched boat after boat get hammered off the straits. Apparently a bayliner smoked a log off nanaimo and required a rescue this afternoon. I gotta RIP back to town tomorrow at first light but I will be back Thursday night for the weekend. My plan is to head to squitty this weekend for some July 15 recon. Keep the reports coming! Btw the crabbing down our way is epic.

She was howling! So many boats taking it on the head. I just heard about that boat in the Strait on CBC. Didn’t know it hit a log - was capsized when the ferry was dispatched.

Safe travels and good luck at squitty!

Do you stay at Squitty to fish? Rolled in there once but the few spots were all taken by hippies.

Do you stay at Squitty to fish? Rolled in there once but the few spots were all taken by hippies.

Juts a day trip from our place on the coast in the past but I'm going to be out after july 15 so I'm checking a few places out first. I will let you know how it looks.

Squitty is pretty overrun by permanent looking moored boats, rafts, barges and pirate looking ships most times I’ve tried to stay there lol.

Squitty is pretty overrun by permanent looking moored boats, rafts, barges and pirate looking ships most times I’ve tried to stay there lol.
You've described it just as I remember it.

Juts a day trip from our place on the coast in the past but I'm going to be out after july 15 so I'm checking a few places out first. I will let you know how it looks.
Crossing my fingers the boat will be fixed by the 11th. Heading up that way then onto Desolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back