Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that is good news for you guys. For those of south of the boarder tho we still have a major obstacle with the boarder closure. This will mark the first time in 20+ yrs of fishing Nootka that a trip is not looking good.
So please keep up the reports and pics, at least I can feel like was there.

Thanks

That border closure is screwing up a lotta fun. I missed my March Vegas trip. You guys have got your hands full in more ways than one. Hopefully things settle down for you soon. Maybe August 1 things will open up. Still plenty of good fishing early August.
We’ll keep posted by way of plenty of pix. I suspect fish will be more plentiful given less boats on the water. Maybe some 5 years out there too I heard.

Well the weather was a little cool and damp but the JJ was a great success and some funds were raised for the Kids Heart Fund. Excellent job by Critter Cove as usual. Winning fish was 24 lbs. Great start to the season.

Fishing last several days has been productive for Chinooks at Ferrer. Not super hot, but if you put in your time you will get some fish. Biggest here has been 29 so far this season from Ferrer. Today 2 boats were out fof a few hours, both had 2 fish, teenagers on anchovies. Not many reports from anywhere else. One boat is heading up to Grassy to do some prospecting tomorrow. 20200621_185253.jpg

Not going to lie fishing is REALLY slow. Spent the weekend up there got into a couple nice springs 15/18 that is it. They must have moved on. The ground fishing was awesome tho. That's June fishing in Nootka. One thing i can say though is i bet they are on the reef, sucks we can only fishing 1 mile out , all the spots LOADED with bait.

Fishing is not on fire in Esperanza, but if you put in your time you will get fish. The weather has been poor, south winds, torrential rains, rough seas. Ferrer has been the only place we could get to. One boat was there all day, got 5 they kept, released a few around 7 lbs. Biggest 22. Anchovies and Irish cream spoons. 20200623_190439.jpg

Is the launch open in cougar ?
Yes. Cougar Creek was open for launching this past weekend. $35 for launch and 3 nights parking of truck/trailer. GR launch was open too. $20 launch and $10/night road parking. There were people there last Thursday taking money and checking and writing down licence plates.

Fishing is not on fire in Esperanza, but if you put in your time you will get fish. The weather has been poor, south winds, torrential rains, rough seas. Ferrer has been the only place we could get to. One boat was there all day, got 5 they kept, released a few around 7 lbs. Biggest 22. Anchovies and Irish cream spoons. View attachment 54079

pretty sure I seen a pic off Adrians boat yesterday from ferrer, 6 springs 5 were decent...

Was looking back at 2016 reports and it was all about the fish being late or being no shows in August. I think they ended up showing up to the Conuma in decent numbers but maybe had lock jaw early or hunkered down deep in the sound in August or something else back then? Who knows. With all this rain as of late, I wonder if this will be the year of the fish coming early and an epic July? Always fun to guess what the fish are doing on their way to the Conuma. We shall see.

Quick report from this past weekend- it was spotty for salmon due to southerly winds causing troubles Friday onwards. For those that managed to fish Escalante, there were 20-24lb fish there. Rest of the lighthouse and spots beyond had a fish there if you put your time in and could handle the seas. We had a great trip regardless of the sea state. First trip of the year to dust (and wash) everything off.

Last edited:
Was looking back at 2016 reports and it was all about the fish being late or being no shows in August. I think they ended up showing up to the Conuma in decent numbers but maybe had lock jaw early or hunkered down deep in the sound in August or something else back then? Who knows. With all this rain as of late, I wonder if this will be the year of the fish coming early and an epic July? Always fun to guess what the fish are doing on their way to the Conuma. We shall see.

Quick report from this past weekend- it was spotty for salmon due to southerly winds causing troubles Friday onwards. For those that managed to fish Escalante, there were 20-24lb fish there. Rest of the lighthouse and spots beyond had a fish there if you put your time in and could handle the seas. We had a great trip regardless of the sea state. First trip of the year to dust (and wash) everything off.

Yep Nootka can be remarkably spotty for sure! July is usually much hotter than late June. have a trip planned july 9-12. did you get a look at stomach contents?

Finally the south winds switched to the North, we had a weather window this morning before we got a gale warning! At least its sunny. The good news is the fishing picked up, site member "Chasin' Dreams" had their limit of springs at Ferrer Point, and one of our guide boats had their limit to the north at High Rocks, both were in before lunchtime. Variety of things working, Anchovies, hootchies and spoons. JJohnson.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back