Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice bright hot sun came out today after the fog burned off. We got into a lot of Springs and a lost Coho at Ferrier before 10 AM. Strong NW came in after that as Robert mentioned so we came in for a few hours then went out later on for some bottom fishing. Lot's of bait showing up so hopefully the Salmon fishing will keep getting better as well. 20200624_112717.jpg

20200624_073334.jpg

20200624_090809.jpg

Finally the south winds switched to the North, we had a weather window this morning before we got a gale warning! At least its sunny. The good news is the fishing picked up, site member "Chasin' Dreams" had their limit of springs at Ferrer Point, and one of our guide boats had their limit to the north at High Rocks, both were in before lunchtime. Variety of things working, Anchovies, hootchies and spoons. View attachment 54102
Good to see Gary is guiding for you!

This is a reports thread and there are plenty of places to discuss Covid related content. I have removed those posts for that reason. If you want to carry on with that conversation, please do so in the appropriate thread and leave these report threads for the purpose they are intended.

Thanks!

This is a reports thread and there are plenty of places to discuss Covid related content. I have removed those posts for that reason. If you want to carry on with that conversation, please do so in the appropriate thread and leave these report threads for the purpose they are intended.

Thanks!

ya, I hear you, but, this is a meeting point for people who have a keen interest in Gold River/Nootka/Esperanza. It’s a place where those that enjoy the area come to get all sorts updates. I’m not reading thru 133 pages of Covid to get potential info on an area I have an interest in. It’s going to get diluted with the plethora of other stuff. That doesn’t make any sense at all. I think that some information extraneous to reporting that is important to our fishing experience and ultimately reporting, needs to be in this thread. Just one mans view.

I agree with your view Pescador, we come here for news,info about the whole thing , the access , the regs , the fishing , and if there is something extra going on , it would be nice to know.
Most of us have been retuning to Nootka for a long time , we respect the people , the area , we come for the experience, heck if I keep my salmon under 200.00 per lb. I’m happy.
But to shut out any info other than fishing reports , that’s lame man.
All the info is related to the fishing

ya, I hear you, but, this is a meeting point for people who have a keen interest in Gold River/Nootka/Esperanza. It’s a place where those that enjoy the area come to get all sorts updates. I’m not reading thru 133 pages of Covid to get potential info on an area I have an interest in. It’s going to get diluted with the plethora of other stuff. That doesn’t make any sense at all. I think that some information extraneous to reporting that is important to our fishing experience and ultimately reporting, needs to be in this thread. Just one mans view.

Don't disagree to a point, that's why we don't remove information about the launch being open, accommodation updates, etc. But this one was about foreign license plates that was quickly headed into a discussion about Covid so that's why it was removed. That quickly turns into a couple pages and then we get complaints from members coming to these pages, looking for reports related to fishing, not wanting to wade through other topics. Trying to balance this as best we can.

Maybe you need two threads per area. One for reports, one for other info. Personally, after a dozen years of following this site, I’ll take any information I can get on an area before I get up there. I’d never get upset because someone posted information on vehicles being damaged precisely where my truck will be parked next week. That sort of info is Gold. Again, just my view.

Zeesh, first post back after staying away for a few seasons when things went sideways on here. Will be patient and try to stick with it this time...was factual and relevant to those fishing, launching, and staying in Nootka.

Ended up filling our remaining tags with a 19.5, a 20, and a 21.5 pounder. We released quite a few Springs today. Fishing was really good in the morning after the slack flood. Springs are full of squid. Still a pretty strong NW off shore but managed to tuck in to some nice quiet spots away from the wind behind some islets. Sun was out all day again thankfully. Found a couple Lings and some Rock fish as well today.

20200625_190141.jpg

20200625_132150.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.05.20 PM.png

Ended up filling our remaining tags with a 19.5, a 20, and a 21.5 pounder. We released quite a few Springs today. Fishing was really good in the morning after the slack flood. Springs are full of squid. Still a pretty strong NW off shore but managed to tuck in to some nice quiet spots away from the wind behind some islets. Sun was out all day again thankfully. Found a couple Lings and some Rock fish as well today.

View attachment 54200

View attachment 54201

View attachment 54202
You need to try fishing some live squid, Paul! That show Fishing Rod did with David Murphy last year was pretty cool to watch fishing live squid.

Just got back from 5 days at Critter... At the start of the week, the weather was just awful, rain all day coming in sideways... But the silver lining was that the fishing was pretty good for Springs around Wash Rock and Maquinna.. They were stuffed full of squid, with a 19 lb’r having 18 fresh squid in it.... Shouldn’t have gone back to the trough for one last time, was a bad mistake on its part!! Wednesday morning was pea-soup fog so thick that the fish couldn’t see the gear but it cleared up later in the morning and the bite turned on again... Mostly Springs with a very few Coho thrown in for good measure...
Of important note, the Gold River boat ramp is back in full operation.. The Native staff were there collecting the launch fees and explaining the new parking lot details etc... All very professional indeed...
To all of our U.S. friends, (Ragnar, Tootie II, Wahoo, FishtechI and others), we miss you and look forward to seeing you back again soon hopefully...Pacemaker

Fished Grassy yesterday. It's area 26 but boats were there from Esperanza and Nootka. Tagged out on springs 25, 21 and two smaller ones, plus lings picked up while trolling. All on the bottom, mostly on the slack. Anchovies.

Fished Monday Tuesday near friendly./birdwood area. Lots of rain. Was a bit spotty for us but managed to pick up some nice springs all on anchovies. Best depths were around 45ft. We tried some squid looking hoochies and didnt get many bites. Skinny g golden nugget was pretty decent early in the morning but the anchovies were more consistant

Fishing has really turned on in Esperanza. Hitting fish throughout the sound, at Grassy, McQuarri, Low rock, Pin Rock, and Ferrer. Springs to 26lbs, Couple of bonus halibut including a 45 lb one at Pin on salmon gear. Mostly hootchies lately, some spoons. Havent needed bait, but would work too.

PE J 27.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rob for the hand with the prop! It will
be back on your dock next week! Great place you got there!!

Aaron

Fishing has really turned on in Esperanza. Hitting fish throughout the sound, at Grassy, McQuarri, Low rock, Pin Rock, and Ferrer. Springs to 26lbs, Couple of bonus halibut including a 45 lb one at Pin on salmon gear. Mostly hootchies lately, some spoons. Havent needed bait, but would work too.

View attachment 54249

Can someone tell please the rates for launch and parking at the gold river and if it’s ok to sleep overnight at the parking spot? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back