Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh! That makes sense.still learning the place. 6 years and counting and endless places to go try.
Well the mill this time of year or the Burman river area are the end of the road type of fisheries. Darker, golden, smoker quality fish. For Nootka inside usual spots like Camel, the Wall, Hoiss, by August 19th consistently by my observations the sport fishery is all but done for chinooks. Majority of Chinook by that point either gillnetted, or are staging at the bay by the river or are milling about but now have lock jaw cause they are more than ready to do their thing. This year I think the normal amount of fish were there since August 1st, but had lock jaw for the most part. No other reason why us sporties experienced spotty and slow fishing for the most part, while the gillnetters came in same time frame during peak season and got 9000 in a night. Weird year, but seems this is the new norm for Nootka. Even offshore was spotty this year. I’d love to hear Codfather’s season wrap up summary and thoughts and how it compared to previous years.

Heading over to Esperanza tomorrow for a few days fishing. Hoping the fishing has picked up a little. Please post if you have a recent report from that area.

Pretty quiet still. Few small fresh fish getting caught off the Rosa wall but the water inside that is pretty messy with little success as of late. There are a few coho starting to show up but nothing special yet. I would suggest fishing the surfline from middle reef to kyuquot and hope you cut some fish off on the way by. They are not hanging around long but they are cruising by still and are willing to eat an anchovy...

Can anyone comment on how choppy Zeballos / Esperanza inlets get on a NW? Looks like it'll be blowing pretty good this weekend, and wondering how that would affect a run down Zeballos inlet to Esperanza in a small boat. Cheers!

Can anyone comment on how choppy Zeballos / Esperanza inlets get on a NW? Looks like it'll be blowing pretty good this weekend, and wondering how that would affect a run down Zeballos inlet to Esperanza in a small boat. Cheers!
You are fine to get out to Esperanza inlet in the morning. The inflow can pick up early afternoon and kick ya in the butt to Steamer then she’s smooth sailing to Zeballos from there. From Rosa to log dump usually is pretty smooth even in the NW. The wall at steamer and saltry can be a bit choppy, but not till late morning/early afternoon. Good luck!

See a few more coho hit the dock from Esperanza every day, more coho than springs the last couple days. Some are small and a bit coloured, others are in the teens and dime bright. From low rock all the way into saltery. It’s spotty but at least they’re starting to show.

Pretty quiet still. Few small fresh fish getting caught off the Rosa wall but the water inside that is pretty messy with little success as of late. There are a few coho starting to show up but nothing special yet. I would suggest fishing the surfline from middle reef to kyuquot and hope you cut some fish off on the way by. They are not hanging around long but they are cruising by still and are willing to eat an anchovy...

There are a few Springs out at the Whales Tail area off shore but its spotty. Watch out for whales offshore, lots of humpbacks out there. Halibut fishing has been good out that way too.

Had another decent day at sandstone, they just keep coming down that surfline. Couple 12# coho too, only one decent contender for derby hooked but he won in the kelp. Lots of nice fresh teeners though...

just got back from four days working on cabin and doing some fishing. first night ( thursday ) nailed two chinook around 12 lbs and two coho around same size. then we went offshore got some lings and some cod. lights turned right off rest of trip for salmon until we landed a coho around 15 lbs final night. dead flat water on the outside. gorgeous sunsets and incredible dinners. fishing was a grind but nootka is a beauty

purple haze flashers and white uv hootchy was the winning ticket for us

Went out for a couple of hours after dinner tonight to Rosa. I didn't expect too much action, I took a beverage and thought I'd enjoy a bit of a boa20200831_203848.jpg t ride on a calm evening. That wasn't quite what happened. Had 4 coho on, landed two, 8lb and 11lb and an 18lb chinook. Double of the chinook and 11lb coho, landed them both alone. Had some shakers as well so never even had a chance to open a drink! The coho seem to finally be arriving. The Lodge is still open for bring your own boat and food. We will rent you a room or rooms, you can bring your own food and use the facilities here. Come enjoy some late season coho, maybe some chinook, halibut or even Tuna if a weather window opens, in Esperanza Inlet!

Last edited:
What a difference a day makes. Out to Rosa area again tonight. Same area, same lures (coho killer and anchovy) but almost no action. One good coho on and lost, must have had 15 shakers, really small ones most not much bigger than the anchovy. Saw one chinook caught in another boat.

What a difference a day makes. Out to Rosa area again tonight. Same area, same lures (coho killer and anchovy) but almost no action. One good coho on and lost, must have had 15 shakers, really small ones most not much bigger than the anchovy. Saw one chinook caught in another boat.

I was doing well still at Sandstone, between Garden/log dump was ripper every prime time I stopped there the last two weeks straight...

I was doing well still at Sandstone, between Garden/log dump was ripper every prime time I stopped there the last two weeks straight...
I've been wanting to try sandstone, there should be Robertson creek and canuma fish still travelling along there, and its a quick run from here, but windy has said its been rough going around high rocks and tatchu so I havent bothered. Maybe i'll try Garden tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back