Status
Not open for further replies.
From face book from the commercial fishermen

The Nootka Sound Roundtable met today, August 7th to talk about chinook.

The sports CPUE (catch per trip) this year is down to about half of last year, which reinforces the lower run forecast this year.

The run is forecasted at 30,000 adults total return, this puts the run in the "moderate" range.

The sports catch to date is around 5,000 pieces, and their total expected catch for the season at this run size is around 9000, so things are progressing as expected.

The Area D allocation at this run size is 6,000 pieces. Under the "moderate" run size rules, the earliest we can start is August 12.

Area D will open on August 12, at 9pm, for four hours, until 1am, with possible extension until 6am, depending on catch and fleet size and consultations between the on-grounds manager and the fishermen.

A second night is possible on August 13th, if allocation is remaining.

There is a slight possibility of a third night, but this would only be used if the fishing was proceeding at a moderate pace, and there was only a small amount of allocation remaining, and it made more sense to finish it off with a few hours rather than come back the following week. If the fishing is strong, we won't need the third night, and if it is weak we won't want the third night - so don't count on it.

If there is enough allocation remaining after this week's fishery, we will open again on Wednesday August 19th, and try to catch the remaining allocation then.

There will be no further in-season reforcast of this run. The only possibility of any catch above our allocation is if there is a large body of fish identified in the terminal area much later in the season, and the hatchery agrees that they have enough stock to get their egg target. This has only happened very rarely, so don't count on it.

Both the 90 mesh chum nets and the 60 mesh spring nets are approved for this fishery.

*** edited to add, the chum nets will likely not be allowed in the Barkley fishery due to coho
constraints, so keep that in mind when choosing which net to bring”

Heading to Port Eliza Lodge on Thursday and weather (wind forecast) looks promising. I have fished the Esperanza area a couple of times but have never been able to go offshore for halibut due to weather. Was wondering if anyone would give me some insights as to the general offshore area(s) to target halibut? Not looking for the exact GPS coordinates of your favourite halibut hole (although that would be nice :)). PM me if you would rather not post publicly.

Heading to Port Eliza Lodge on Thursday and weather (wind forecast) looks promising. I have fished the Esperanza area a couple of times but have never been able to go offshore for halibut due to weather. Was wondering if anyone would give me some insights as to the general offshore area(s) to target halibut? Not looking for the exact GPS coordinates of your favourite halibut hole (although that would be nice :)). PM me if you would rather not post publicly.
Are you looking to anchor or drift? For drift, the Whale's Tail is about 13nm off of Tatchu. 260-300 feet of water just before it drops off into the abyss. Good chicken spot with some Ling and rockfish scattered around. Will be boats there from Esperanza and Kyuquot.

No worries Jim & Robert at Port Eliza Lodge will happily brief you on good spots offshore for hali they are great hosts.

Look for the **** and Balls about 4 Miles out Jim knows of it.
The Potato way out always has Halis

Just back from BYOB trip at Mouthca Bay. Fishing is the worst I have ever seen. Fished hard from 5am to 6-7pm for 4 days. All the usual spots Camel, Discovery, Burdwood, Wash Rock, lighthouse, Beano, wall, Hoise, the highway offshore. 2 springs, one long line released, 3 shakers. That's it! No other strikes, nothing. May have seen 20 other fish caught in total for 100's of other boats. Two boats 4 avid fisherman. Hopefully there are chinooks out there to return to the rivers.

Just back from BYOB trip at Mouthca Bay. Fishing is the worst I have ever seen. Fished hard from 5am to 6-7pm for 4 days. All the usual spots Camel, Discovery, Burdwood, Wash Rock, lighthouse, Beano, wall, Hoise, the highway offshore. 2 springs, one long line released, 3 shakers. That's it! No other strikes, nothing. May have seen 20 other fish caught in total for 100's of other boats. Two boats 4 avid fisherman. Hopefully there are chinooks out there to return to the rivers.

Just a lull in the action in the area you were at. There have been plenty of fish move through and plenty to come...

Sorry to hear about your experience, but my wife and I just got back from 5 days at Critter and our experience was just the opposite of yours. When we got there on Saturday, Cam mentioned that the fishing was the best that he had seen this year. That alone says a lot right there! We found fish pretty much everywhere we went, including both outside and inside waters (mostly outside as I hate fishing the inside if I don't have to). Yesterday morning, final morning for us, wife still had a couple of spots to fill on her license so we headed out to Hoise Pt . Left the dock at 6 AM, and was back at the dock by 6.45 AM, 45 minutes round trip included catching her 2 springs. Nothing wrong with that. Actually I don't often do those early morning trips, as we don't normally leave the dock much before 9 AM, often later. Anchovies on one side and glow white hoochies on the other side, 35 and 40 feet. Pretty civilized fishing....

Just returned last night. Fishing for us was pretty good, 14 spring, 2 halis, 2 ling cod. 55 feet down to 80 feet worked running anchovie and spoons. The morning that we had was slow we took the flasher off, and that seemed to bring on the bite. Weather was decent, with a couple wet ones. The last few mornings the bite was pretty short and you had to be pretty quick on the gear.

Mike

I, too, had quite the opposite experience during my stay at Critter Cove last weekend. Had our limit of springs each morning by 7:00 am at Hoiss Point. 35 to 60 feet on bait, white hootchies and coyote spoons. However, even if we didn't catch a lot of fish, Nootka Sound is a magical place, that has kept me going back each year for the past 15 years or so.

Commercial guys had a 9 hour opening on Wednesday night. "The preliminary catch estimate suggests that the 6,121 TAC was achieved, consequently additional openings for Conuma Chinook are not expected."

I just got back too I got my limit on springs pretty easy. I tried offshore was still to snotty.

There is a good push of springs coming down Esperanza. Fish have been all the way from garden point to Steamer point for a solid week. Most are very fresh bright and feisty. Decent average size from high teens to mid 20’s. Not too hard to go through a couple packs of chovy in a few hrs. Stick to a spot and harass what’s there and get fresh ones trickling by, or do the entire tack. Easy money...

I heard the under size is up to 96cm?
The “source “ that you “heard it from” is mistaken. Same sizes still apply for overs and unders. The new fisheries order that amends the previous rules also give allowable measurements for Hali’s that have had their heads removed during filleting or cleaning, i.e. what’s known as “head off” measurement.. Your source probably misinterpreted those measurements.. The unders have a max head off length of 69 cm, and the overs have a max head off length of 97 cm’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back