2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was rough...the roughest conditions I've ever "fished" in. Had lines in the water for about 2hrs and caught one shaker and one feisty chinook that I lost at the boat. I had to grab a handhold as the boat rolled in the waves and the line went a bit slack and then the fish was gone. Dammit.

I was being blown towards the Sandheads jetty and had to turn to take a different tack...with the bow facing the wind/waves I didn't last long....once a wave crested over the bow and washed down the deck I decided to call it a day. (23ft Robalo) Then I spent 1hr+ beating back in to the wind/waves averaging about 10knots to get back to the calm waters of Howe Sound (where I set out from).

I saw three other boats arrive at the Sandheads area as I was packing up. One was about 26ft Carolina Classic, one was a big Grady, and one was a 26-28ft Kingfisher.

Couldn’t get south of the PA lighthouse. 6-8’ swells. When over to hole in the wall. Flat calm. Few other boats there. Didn’t see any action. Left for Tunstall after a couple of laps. No idea how to fish HITW anyway.
Put back down at hut island but only got halfway before hit swells again. Turned back, wind shifted and turned into typical Howe sound inflow.
Had a bit more time so cruised in front of Thunderbird. Hit a nice ling. Back for him then back to the marina
Still wobbly walking.

I was fishing solo as I prefer to do. Due to the conditions I chose to tether myself to the engine killswitch, and I had an even longer tether to the boat (both connected to the harness of my auto-inflate PFD). The boat was making 2.5+knots over ground just due to the wind! I'm gonna start shopping for a wireless engine killswitch system ASAP. Be safe out there!

Couldn’t get south of the PA lighthouse. 6-8’ swells. When over to hole in the wall. Flat calm. Few other boats there. Didn’t see any action. Left for Tunstall after a couple of laps. No idea how to fish HITW anyway.
Put back down at hut island but only got halfway before hit swells again. Turned back, wind shifted and turned into typical Howe sound inflow.
Had a bit more time so cruised in front of Thunderbird. Hit a nice ling. Back for him then back to the marina
Still wobbly walking.

After my bumpy Sandheads experience I trolled through Shoal Channel past Gibsons and Langdale area up to the pulp mill. Not a sniff of action. I passed one other boat who said he was marking fish on the sounder but nothing biting.

Cruised past McNab Creek and nothing was happening there, and the winds were becoming the typical southerly inflow

I was fishing solo as I prefer to do. Due to the conditions I chose to tether myself to the engine killswitch, and I had an even longer tether to the boat (both connected to the harness of my auto-inflate PFD). The boat was making 2.5+knots over ground just due to the wind! I'm gonna start shopping for a wireless engine killswitch system ASAP. Be safe out there!
Fell marine MOB. $200usd on amazon. That’s what I have.

Last edited:
Nice to know I’m not the only one who prefers to fish solo. :)

And great comments on safety. Never used to be a safety guy but then I fell overboard last year grabbing a rope that was in the prop (SOBER). One of those panic moments and at the end of the day it was super embarrassing but I was fine. Could have easily been worse...

Do any of you guys try "working" the gear when it's slow? I've yet to have an unproductive half hour in my last 6 or 7 trips. When things get slow I switch things up going from spoons on flashers to plugs to whatever the hell I've got in the bag. I also jockey the gear up and down 10-20 feet with the rigger. I'll even fish against the grain as some guys have stated they hate lol. I don't know man I just can't conceive an unproductive trip right now. Wash your hands? Stop killing crows? Donate to charity? Get that skunk off!

Be confident in what you run, if they are there they will bite. Never have understood the mentality of changing baits / lures often , means your gear isn't in the water. When numbers of these reds slow down and the whites move in anything other than bait will drastically lower your chances out there as well, I run green and blue label herring this time of year 100 % of the time.

Be confident in what you run, if they are there they will bite. Never have understood the mentality of changing baits / lures often , means your gear isn't in the water. When numbers of these reds slow down and the whites move in anything other than bait will drastically lower your chances out there as well, I run green and blue label herring this time of year 100 % of the time.
Amen to that. Good luck getting me off of my lemon lime flasher and chovy... got me all but one of my spring so far
What Rain City said about jockeying the rigger can be effective though... a guide up north taught me that trick.

Too windy off the Fraser so fished back side of Bowen. Hooked one at 60’ on a cop car but my guest lost it at the surface. No other bites.

What do you mean by jockeying the downrigger?
Just a word I picked. Maybe a bad choice. Moving it up and down. I bring it up and down. That's it.

jock·ey
/ˈjäkē/

Verb

handle or manipulate (someone or something) in a skillful manner.

Last edited:
Lok

Like every 10 minutes you bring it up or down 20’?
No like every minute or two I'll bring it up and let it back down. I don't do this often just when I'm getting antsy in my pantsy. It's worked here and there. Sometimes those bastards just follow your **** around until you trigger their natural instinct to strike.

I'm patient believe me, this would be after at least 12-13 minutes of no action ;)

No like every minute or two I'll bring it up and let it back down. I don't do this often just when I'm getting antsy in my pantsy. It's worked here and there. Sometimes those bastards just follow your **** around until you trigger their natural instinct to strike.

I'm patient believe me, this would be after at least 12-13 minutes of no action ;)
That's part of my fishing is to bring it up and down, call it the drop in bite, a lot of hits have also come from bringing
the gear up on the rigger and getting it smashed on the way up, i'll drop it 100' then all the way up, i like keeping busy on
the boat, keeps the blood flowing messing with riggers and gear .. lol ON high alert like it's ON FIRE!

OK REPORTS!

Jockey with speed and zigzag around makes it super fun when stacking lines too close lol

I know of 2 that got bonked yesterday cop car 100' of water, 45' on either at 5 pm off wreck beach.

I second the zigzag or s turns as I call it. One side will slow down and the other increases. Also tells me if I'm going too fast or too slow. Fish that are just following always hit with a change. Works for me

Reeltime.....good to hear your getting use of the rigger lol. Just remember to service it more often if your up n down so much haha you will wear it out sooner. Truth be known ive hit way to many to remember wnile going up and down with the gear. Yup it does produce strikes

Productive weekend at Sandheads this weekend picked up a nice slab on Saturday and lost a few more. Yesterday, waited til the wind died down and headed out at 4 oclock and was an awesome evening. 3 good keepers in the boat, one released (healthy fish, clean release) and 3 long line releases with my buddy, my dad and brother. Gear fishing 47 and 52' white hooch and no bananas skinny G equal action for the weekend. Been leaving the bait at home due to the pinks but there didn't seem to be as many this weekend.

Attachments

• Resized_20190824_150745.jpg
    Resized_20190824_150745.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back