2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this was officially the fasted double header Spring tag out for me and a guest ever lol. And a very memorable one. Put one line down, trolled for maybe 100 yards and it goes off just as I get my guests line down. No need for hook set as the first fish is already peeling off **** loads of line. Then my guests rod goes off as I still had the motor in gear. Guest grabs that one and same thing, line already peeling off and thankfully in opposite direction as the first one. My guest says "**** there's two seals behind the boat" I thought great we're probably gonna lose both of them to the seals. Both seals disappeared under the water trying to get the fish. After awhile of very stressful fish fighting I managed to get the bigger fish up next to the boat. Only one seal around now as I think the other went over to our friends boat next to us to steal their fish lol. Which it successfully did along with their flasher and gear. As I am dipping the net down to sweep under the first fish my guest screams at me "F'ing seal is gonna get this fish". A **** load of panic from my guest as he quickly moves over to my side of the boat and is reeling like mad. The fish he has on is jumping and skimming along the surface of the water behind my motor with the seal right on it. The seal chases it and the fish he has on literally jumps into the net that I now have part way out of the water with the first fish already in it!! :eek: Now both fish are thrashing hard in the net lol and there I am about to lose both of them because of the weight of them and the surprise/confustion it caused all at once. The F'ing seal is now bobbing around right next to the boat looking like he still hasn't quite given up. I know if I try to lift the net up it may bend the net unless I close it and drag it up against the boat. I tell my guest to loosen his drag and help me get the net/fish into the boat. What a **** show lol but it all ended well with a great memory that will stick with me and my guest for a long time I'm sure. The fatter fish is 21 lbs and the other is 16. Both on cured up Herring in heads at 75 and 95 ft on the riggers out in 330' of water of the sand heads.

3ogpgsL.jpg

Well this was officially the fasted double header Spring tag out for me and a guest ever lol. And a very memorable one. Put one line down, trolled for maybe 100 yards and it goes off just as I get my guests line down. No need for hook set as the first fish is already peeling off **** loads of line. Then my guests rod goes off as I still had the motor in gear. Guest grabs that one and same thing, line already peeling off and thankfully in opposite direction as the first one. My guest says "**** there's two seals behind the boat" I thought great we're probably gonna lose both of them to the seals. Both seals disappeared under the water trying to get the fish. After awhile of very stressful fish fighting I managed to get the bigger fish up next to the boat. Only one seal around now as I think the other went over to our friends boat next to us to steal their fish lol. Which it successfully did along with their flasher and gear. As I am dipping the net down to sweep under the first fish my guest screams at me "F'ing seal is gonna get this fish". A **** load of panic from my guest as he quickly moves over to my side of the boat and is reeling like mad. The fish he has on is jumping and skimming along the surface of the water behind my motor with the seal right on it. The seal chases it and the fish he has on literally jumps into the net that I now have part way out of the water with the first fish already in it!! :eek: Now both fish are thrashing hard in the net lol and there I am about to lose both of them because of the weight of them and the surprise/confustion it caused all at once. The F'ing seal is now bobbing around right next to the boat looking like he still hasn't quite given up. I know if I try to lift the net up it may bend the net unless I close it and drag it up against the boat. I tell my guest to loosen his drag and help me get the net/fish into the boat. What a **** show lol but it all ended well with a great memory that will stick with me and my guest for a long time I'm sure. The fatter fish is 21 lbs and the other is 16. Both on cured up Herring in heads at 75 and 95 ft on the riggers out in 330' of water of the sand heads.

View attachment 46974
Haha that's awesome!!!

Based on recent reports though those are 29 and 45 pound fish lol.

Hahah only if your fish was out pacing the boat by 30 knots...it was like tetris making way through the billion boats from ubc to roger curtis.
Oh no this was by the bell and I was ALLLLLLL by myself. Nobody around and whoever it was came right at me. We were waving and screaming and turning and honking and whoever it was just didn't understand. Gave me a how big sign as he stopped 30 yards from the boat.

View attachment 46974
Great story and pic .....stuff memories are made of.

Out again this am (8:30ish) at Sandheads with the boy, and we were into them within 5 minutes of dropping the gear. My son lost the first one. But got the next one. Then we got a pink. And I finished with a screamer. No fricken seals in sight of us. Big bonus was teaching/allowing my son how to net a big fish successfully (I was nervous but very grateful). Red spring was 20lbs and the white was 19lbs; both females. Spoke to a native guy at the ramp, and he told me that he was netting yesterday up river and got nothing and that the fish are holding in the chuck, making for our great fishing.

Few of my native friends are finding them in the river. Everyone needs their fish
I really hope that they do find their fish in th river otherwise “the honourable “ may close us again and blame it on the rockslide.

Apparently there are six loads of chinooks per day being choppered past the slide right now. Friends were just through the area on a offroad back country trip and crossed the ferry. Spoke to some of the folks engaged in the operations and they're doing all they can to make it happen. Seems very apparent there will be damage done due to the slide.

This fish are savagely attacking anything. Put it in a bag with coarse salt over night and rest your arms.

You can dye leprechaun bait too if you choose.

Frankly, it does not matter. Goodluck out there.
I agree i caught two decent springs during the slot limit with herring. Larger the better but anything with the right roll and youre good to go. Grab some salt and ice and dont forget your beer in there

Some observations with regards to our fishery here and DFO and all of their BS lately:
This summer is my 33rd year in a row fishing our salt chuck here off of Vancouver. Have never missed a year fishing out here. Grew up fishing the Canadian side at the Fraser mouths and also the American side around Point Roberts, the coal docks etc.. Over all those years there's been some really good fish number years mixed in, with some days we would get into 5-15 springs between a couple of us in half a day or so. I'd say around 20 Springs in a half day would fairly exceptional even going back to the 80's..... (A whole day fishing may of course have brought more fish to the boat than that, but just saying).

After fishing today I was trying to remember our very best day fishing the summer months out front of the Fraser and I know there's been a few epic years but I've got to say today's fishing is at the top of the list. Between two of us and three rods down we were well into over 30 springs today, 3 pinks and one coho. From 6:30 AM till 12:00 PM. We stopped counting in the mid 20's and we kept getting more and more and more fish after that. Several double headers and a triple. Largest one may have been a Tyee but I weighed it after bleeding and removing the gills; 28.2 lbs after gills removed and bled.. Probably just under a Tyee but still a nice big Spring. Very thick and deep at the shoulders. Fought a great battle too. All the others were from mid teens to low 20's for size with only one being around a 12 lb'r. All caught on bait; anchovy's and herring in heads. The herring outfished the anchovy but not by too much. 8' leaders. 80-95' on the riggers running between the 280-330 contours. We were away from the big pack of boats all jammed in around the end of the jetty. There was only two other boats fishing the same contours we were tacking and we saw them get into a **** load of fish too. Only one dog fish and that was due to putting the boat in neutral as a fish was being fought and other rods were being brought in. Those dogs will come right up from the deep and hit your gear if you go slow enough for them. So don't be stuck with the thought you have to be fishing in the dense concentrated pack of boats. You don't have to. These are migrating fish that are moving through in big numbers. The Fraser has good flow, the fish will cruise right through. You don't have to be parked right at the mouth fishing shallow water to intercept them. And don't be worried about tides/currents when fishing the arms. You will get into them at all times of the day when they are coming through in good numbers. Unless the Fraser is dirt low and very warm you will see these fish all over the area and actively feeding and cruising by. Just thought I would add that info in case there were some guys looking for some tips from what I've picked up over the years fishing the sand.

Like others have said, get out there and enjoy it while it's red hot!

View attachment 46906

View attachment 46907
was the one on the scale a white?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back