2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw I'm in the Wilson Creek area and the pinks usually don't show until later August in my experience. I'm going to troll from there to gower point tomorrow and will report back. Its stunning up here tonight and I would have gone out but one of the kids came down with the flu out of nowhere. Barf detail wasn't the "plan b" I was looking for!

Thanks Ab, a little late but I'll know for next time. Made it out but stayed in some deeper water. This after dropping lines first thing this morning at PA for a couple of hours. In the end at Gower a Coho hand shake, a lost screamer, (spring) another smaller one that came unpinned but meters from the boat and finally a hatch spring 26". All in all a good day. Wish I would have known about the skinny water detail earlier. Hope you still make it out as it seems like a good time out there for the time being. Going to Tunstall with the family tomorrow so hoping to make a quick stop over again. Kids, who knows. Tight lines

Not enough time in the day for me so decided to hit pink appartments instead of grower though the oceans looks nice and calm. Marking lots out front of the appartments but nothing yet.

On the ferry coming back from Nanaimo.
There are about 30 boats fishing at Entrance Island
Water is flat calm
Looks like a great day to be out fishing
Hope those boats are into some fish

Another 30 or so boats at Thrasher as well.
Hopefully there will be some reports on fishing
It’s like a lake out here

Last edited:
Put the boat in about 11:30 at Vanier one boat came out fishing at cap to Pa picked up one hatch somewhere around the cap. That’s all I got. Sitting at Tunstal with the family right now.

One good size wild coho at pink apartments. Rigger 45 in 60 water. Red hoochie cop car flash. Gotta work tomorrow but feeling sick 29-1 / 29-2 calling my name. Been really hungry this year.
Final tally 2 big wild coho back to the drink, and 2 smaller hatch in the box. Beautiful day. Pink apartments to the cap. All on red squirt/hoochie.

One Pink and one wild Coho at Gower, and one Hatchery keeper Coho at West Van. Lost a couole we didnt get to see as well. Fished half the day. Beautiful day out there. Lots of boats out today

I didn't end up getting out today. Might try fishing solo in West Van tomorrow. Or maybe the West hump in case I need to do huge circles while I net a fish with no kicker/steering.

Forgot to mention what we were getting our fish on. The Pink was on a large size pink hootchie. The Coho's were on anchovy & herring in teasers and one on a small pink flashfly. Also forgot to mention how sad it is the number of clowns that rip through all the guys fishing in their pleasure boats going 30-40 knots thinking they're hot shots. All they have to do to have some class and etiquette is go a mere 150 feet out around everybody but nope they feel like they gotta swerve in and out of all the trolling boats.

Hit Thrasher today ....... stayed in close to the pin most of the time but damned if we could get a keeper spring this outing either. A few under size and not near the same number or frequency of hits as on last Monday. We did get a surprise though ......... a nice lingcod caught a ride on the spoon we were dragging and we gladly obliged with what was to be a one way ticket to the dinner table. Weren't targeting ling .... hence the surprise ....... but that one opted to give up its life for lack of keeper spring participation. Onward to the next outing next weekend.

One way troll from wilson creek to camp byng.l. Quiet for the first hour then zing a ripper 50' of water 42' on the rigger Pink hoochies both sides. Play him then zing....other side. My 11 year old son isn't quite ready that fight so I cranked down the drag and he towed him around while I landed my 76 cm ripper. Lost the other which was fine. Kept the same program and had another big hit that didn't stick. I'm finding these feeders stick to the surface and don't dive. Pickled up a nice fat scrappy hatchery coho and wrapped it for the rip home.

I'm also finding these fish at a 3 knot sog troll too. It was an amazing afternoon hope you all had a great weekend.

Hit entrance yesterday. There was some action going on in the am, saw about half a dozen boats hook up, including ourselves. This turned out to be our only salmon until about 1pm. The fish had 3 large anchovies in its stomach.
Fishing 120-210 feet of water. Bite was on a splatter back hoochie @189ft.
We even took advice from @Raincity and fished way out deep to no avial. Last time I listen to that guy... :p

Got out with the fam jam today. Fished from the pink to PA with nothing so far. To be honest just being on the boat with the kiddo at 8am is a huge win already.

Also out in same area this a.m. Not a sniff for me and didn't mark much on the sounder either. Was fishing in 50-100 ft of water most of the time.

Hi went thrasher yesterday ,start around 8 am , 150 and 220 on the rigger, 1 hour with nothing ,then I released 2 undersidze and around 10 am I landed a nice hatch coho that still was on the net the other rod went off and got a good size spring ,,coho was on 220 ft rod with spoon and spring 150 ft hoochy,, 10 minutes of fun then nothing until 1 pm,,I had to quit because the main engine do not charge the battery anymore and I could not use the downrigger anymore,was a nice day spent with friends ,hope pinks are going to show this week so no need to go so far,,see you on the water,have a nice fishing season

We got into the pinks today in W. Van. 2 hits and 2 large pinks...60ish on the riggers. One grabbed a chovie and the other a spoon. Both not far from the pink apts. Raincity I didn't see you out there, where were you? Also,this is one of the first times I've tried pinks on the cast iron....woohoo they're awesome....and someone said pinks aren't good. It had the taste of trout, flaky and delicious. Heard smoking them is good as well so may try that with one side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back