2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work, guys, soon as my new coil arrives I'm heading to the marina and I will be forced to make a sea trial...haven't seen this before wtf the coil post literally sheared off over time. Twice I had the coil wire spit off the coil at speed not healthy for the engine or operators heart lol

Attachments

• 20190922_153651_resized_1.jpg
    20190922_153651_resized_1.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 120
ab 1752 i was having serious coil issues with my 5.7 merc twice the main wire tower cracked and was arching to ground...thank goodness my blower works good or it coulda been ka-boom!!, just one of those parts you rarely think about now i always carry a spare ecerything

ab 1752 i was having serious coil issues with my 5.7 merc twice the main wire tower cracked and was arching to ground...thank goodness my blower works good or it coulda been ka-boom!!, just one of those parts you rarely think about now i always carry a spare ecerything

Ya crazy the number of spares I'm carrying around these days I'm constantly peering over my mechanicals and such. Coil has arrived heading down the now. As far as I know the coil is original to the motor. My guess is someone may have yanked on the lead at some point I cant see why it would shear off otherwise. It does seem a bit corroded. Cheers

Last edited:
I’m stuck at work so I have no choice but to believe you. :rolleyes:
Any sexy pics to share from today’s trip?
Here is one from this afternoon at SH. Took me 25 minutes to reel this biggest ever red spring to the boat and almost lost it to a rookie netting job. Took up the whole cleaning table back at the marina.

Attachments

• DD1212A5-7ACF-4151-A6FE-E9B259C5CEC8.jpeg
    DD1212A5-7ACF-4151-A6FE-E9B259C5CEC8.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 267
Ya crazy the number of spares I'm carrying around these days I'm constantly peering over my mechanicals and such. Coil has arrived heading down the now. As far as I know the coil is original to the motor. My guess is someone may have yanked on the lead at some point I cant see why it would shear off otherwise. It does seem a bit corroded. Cheers
From the pic you attached, it looked like you might have had some dissimilar metal corrosion going on there. Hard to know for sure from a photo, but that’s the first thing came to mind when I saw it. Good luck getting all fixed up.
Carrying spares & a well stocked tool bag is a REALLY good plan!

From the pic you attached, it looked like you might have had some dissimilar metal corrosion going on there. Hard to know for sure from a photo, but that’s the first thing came to mind when I saw it. Good luck getting all fixed up.
Carrying spares & a well stocked tool bag is a REALLY good plan!

I think that's just 10 plus years of corrosion, all my parts are volvo original so unless they have the worlds worst quality control ever anything is possible! Anyway what a pita to get at the mount lower nut...of coise the bilge ate one of the nuts so even the easiest of repairs is a 2 trip effort hahaha.

Last edited:
No pics today. Nothing special. Two Springs tho 7/15 lbs. Gotta say, one of the best days fishing in a long time. I lost 4 other Springs. All decent size. Not a skill I want to excel at, but lots of action between 1-2 pm. I had 3 hits within 10 minutes. The Springs just seemed to be playing with the anchovies. They’d take it then spit it out.
Good ta hear there's a few left, u fishing south or north of the t10 , tight lines

definately agree it was one of the best days at SH in a while for the weather. I had 10 coho hooked and released with 1 very nice large hatchery coho... did not hook up on any springs oddly enough... Tried 150-200 feet of water, then out to 300-400 feet of water... tried 40-60feet and then 90-100 feet with no action from springs... used anchovy on portside and hardware with scent on starboard... the hardware with scent was more effective for coho than anchovy. May have had a 7-9lb spring on but lost it when it surfaced so I couldn't tell whether it was a spring or coho.. Saw a few boats hook up but by the way they were reeling in the fish and the lack of a huge bend on their rods the hits were likely coho.. Where you guys getting the hits on the springs at SH?

Was out at SH, was weird having 3 hits from Springs in 5 minutes , then quiet . Landed 0 of the 3 . Little later hit #4 and landed a nice 15 pounder.
Pod of Orcas moved through , but still caught a nice 6 pound hatchery Coho .
All fish caught on anchovie, 47 and 57 feet on the rigger , anywhere from 100 to 300 feet of water .

Was out in SH yesterday from 2pm to 6pm. Nothing from 2-5pm. only 2 shakers. Then a coho out in 400 ft of water, rigger at 60'. Green flasher and spoon. 15 minutes later, got another hit. 250' water. A spring about 15-20#, got it about 20ft to the boat, had a glimpse and lost it. Beautiful sunset on the way back to the dock. Hope to get out this weekend.

Looks very fishable at the SH today but with the low just passed, not another change until 1630ish . But Strong winds rolling in tonight and rain so a guy better be off the water tonight lol. Really want to try the Islander ...... hmmm, should I ...... Hell ya !
Anyone out there right now ?

Looks very fishable at the SH today but with the low just passed, not another change until 1630ish . But Strong winds rolling in tonight and rain so a guy better be off the water tonight lol. Really want to try the Islander ...... hmmm, should I ...... Hell ya !
Anyone out there right now ?

Do it man, winds at SE and probably wont show til after dark. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!! Next spin for us is Saturday, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back