2019 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iv got to ask. For a guy like me that can't afford a offshore boat. How dose a guy like me get into tuna. ? Am I stuck hiring a charter?

I have not actually been able to find a good answer to this. At one point on here people were talking that guides are not even insured if they take clients that far offshore. The other answer i was given was book a week of salmon fishing with a guide and if there is a window you could get to go?

I'm curious too

Instead of motoring all the way from Vancouver it might make more sense to putt over to Nanaimo, hire one of the many Island tow companies and have them haul you boat to China Creek then you could head out to Bamtown or Ukee easily enough.

Not cheap but a lot less wear & tear on the boat.

Iv got to ask. For a guy like me that can't afford a offshore boat. How dose a guy like me get into tuna. ? Am I stuck hiring a charter?
Pretty much yeah and Westport after Labour Day is often the ticket.

Do you know why these style of charters never have taken off in Canada?? California even uses this style for salmon fishing.

Maybe it has and i haven't herd about it..

Instead of motoring all the way from Vancouver it might make more sense to putt over to Nanaimo, hire one of the many Island tow companies and have them haul you boat to China Creek then you could head out to Bamtown or Ukee easily enough.

Not cheap but a lot less wear & tear on the boat.

Yeah I've got to figure out the cost/time benefit. I'm sure if it was guaranteed glass both ways it's a no brainer but factor in that fickle ***** mother nature and it's a toss up.

Do you know why these style of charters never have taken off in Canada?? California even uses this style for salmon fishing.

Might have to do with them being able to use live bait. There are quite a few spots down the coast that offer tuna trips and they aren't crazy expensive. It's my list to get down there in the next couple of years.

Because we don’t have live anchovies

I am heading out to Uki this weekend as the weather looks good. I will trailer to Port Alberni Friday and get to Uki to provision and will be at the public dock. planning to motor out at midnight to Barkley Canyon and will be there till Monday morning. Looking for any buddy boats that might be going out as well. Hope the Tuna are out there as I have heard. I can be reached on my cell at 250-756-6239 Rob Wolanski

I have not actually been able to find a good answer to this. At one point on here people were talking that guides are not even insured if they take clients that far offshore. The other answer i was given was book a week of salmon fishing with a guide and if there is a window you could get to go?

I'm curious too

This one is tricky, some operators will take you offshore for a tuna fish, but insurance beyond 20(?) Miles requires a significant amount of gear...including a life raft I understand.

I am concerned about the recent posts on here, but feel free to chime in to shut me down. The west coast is a hard place to fish. To fish even the 300 foot line consistently requires expertise.

To venture 40 miles offshore, you need a lot more than a sufficiently large boat, you need skill, patience and intuition. You need to think about what risks you are placing not only on yourself, but also on those whose duty it is to rescue you.

Tuna are amazing but they aren't worth your safety. Or the safety of those who are bound to come and save you if it goes badly

Apologies for the sidetrack, but I really believe the west coast needs to be treated with massive caution.

I am heading out to Uki this weekend as the weather looks good. I will trailer to Port Alberni Friday and get to Uki to provision and will be at the public dock. planning to motor out at midnight to Barkley Canyon and will be there till Monday morning. Looking for any buddy boats that might be going out as well. Hope the Tuna are out there as I have heard. I can be reached on my cell at 250-756-6239 Rob Wolanski
Are you sure the weather offshore will be good enough? That’s not what I see

Monday looks better. I'll be sharpening my pencils, cleaning the chamois, and inflating dodgeballs for the last time (I hope).

yes Monday looks best. I use wind alert and it predicts period over 12 seconds.of course all of you know that if the pre4dictions are wrong and it gets to hairy I can turn back like I have done numerous other times. will leave Nanaimo tomorrow morning to get ice at French Creek and put in at PA just afternoon. hope the dock is not too crazy

Westport WA:

http://www.washingtontunacharters.com/

Oregon Coast has many options & fish are usually closer.

I have been outta San Diego CA & have a 2.5 day trip booked Sept 15; leave at 8PM, run, fish 2 full days/nights run, back in port 5am. Boat is 80ft & fishes 25. Target is Bluefin & Yellowfin Tuna up to 200#. Boat furnishes troll gear but you need to DIY bait/jigging gear, which can be rented. Airfare from Everett -> San Diego R/T + fishing/meals is about $1K US.

I'd rather catch Salmon than Tuna any day but want some Bluefin to eat. Don't care for Albacore at all. Tuna run like hell then it's like reeling-in a bunch of bricks; but Iv'e only caught them up to 50#

Looks awesome, I would love to do that some day! You inspired me. How big of a boat were you on?

I run a 1980's 18' Whaler Outrage with a 150 Merc.

People get hung up on boat size. Doing this sort of thing has way more to do with knowing the conditions a specific boat can handle and even more importantly, knowing your skill level operating that boat in bad conditions.

It's absolutely possible to participate in this fishery with certain small boats, but you better know what you're doing out there. You will also have a reduced number of fishable days. I spent 7 days in winter harbour last week. Only made it past 12 miles once, with one other day looking good enough but I was already doing other things closer to shore. The right 26'-28' boat could have fished twice as many days.

Didn’t fish BC, but joined Kingfisher28 on his boat down at Westport over the weekend. Sloppy south winds made running rough and working around currents for the bar crossing cut into fishing time but we managed a short reconnaissance trip one day that produced a few fish on the troll and the next day got out for the afternoon and a dozen fish. Fumbled around with the live bait thing and managed a good bait stop at the end despite there only being two of us on board.

Off Winter Harbour, 45 miles. Beautiful day out there, nice breeze offshore, bit snotty to 15 miles out. Did the whole run at a 20-25mph cruise so conditions weren't too bad. Pulled the gear after 6 fish in 3 hours, no survivors. Probably not super hot fishing relatively speaking when you keep hearing about boats bringing in 50 fish. Awesome day as far as I'm concerned.

The Sun fish was super cool. I stopped to take a look after seeing it jumping. It swam over and hung out 5' from the boat swimming to keep up with my drift speed.
Nice work work Flashman. You told us what you were going to do and you got it done. Props to you. It looks like you had a rewarding trip. Where do you store those big stones on that boat:p

Crazy day out there Sunday as a crew member on the Sam Mateo.

We arrived at Barkley Canyon, 40 miles out, at 530 AM, and had 9 lines with zukers down in 63 degree blue water and were tacking westward by 6 AM. The bad news was that the water consisted of sloppy 3-5 foot SE breaking waves hitting us in the side on the tack we were running, although the big Grady handled it no problem.

The good news was there was a 12 degree temperature break over about only a few miles, lots of birds, and the overall sign was good. Expectations of our salty crew were high given recent reports.

We had 7 in the boat and 1 lost in the first 2 hours, and things were looking pretty good.

Then it went completely and utterly dead for 4 hours and the worry, doubt and every other emotional you go through out there set in.

The birds were gone.

The waves were still not great.

We hadn't heard of much action from anyone else on the water.

Go out further or turn around?

Switch up the gear, or stick with what was working?

Around noon we got in touch with Argo and Sirene on the radio and heard they were into some fish a few miles behind us so we swung around and headed their way. The water finally started to lay down at the same time which was a welcome relief.

We reached their area and immediately got into fish, first losing all 3 fish on a tripe header (not great when you just went 4 hours without a bite).

Suddenly the birds were all around, and the fish kept biting in singles.

Fortunately they started sticking and we had 8 more in the boat by 1:30 when Argo left the grounds. The fish were puking up small saurey and squid as they came over the side. Sirene stayed out with us and we could see them hooking into fish.

Things were looking up.

At that point, the bite "went nuts", and I mean nuts like I have never seen. At the same time the heavens opened up on us, and the monsoon began.

At 3:45 PM, we had 44 tuna in the boat with a 15 to 20 pound grade. We had reached our maximum fish per ice capacity to have a quality product and stopped. It was a good thing we had a capable 5 man crew, as the action was frankly as fast or faster than we could handle at times.

I have a feeling that if we wanted to we could have kept catching fish for as long as we had the energy to pull them in but there is no point in catching fish you aren't going to properly be able to look after.

In any event, to say we were euphoric at that point would be a huge understatement.

We were so busy during the crazy bite that the rain jackets were never put on. When it was all over we were all literally soaked down to our socks and underwear so we had to do complete wardrobe changes to ward off the chill that was beginning to set in.

Needless to say it was the epic day of epic days for us. Huge props to Sirene and Argo for sharing info out there, thanks guys.

If the weather holds I think those entering the Bamfield shootout will have a great time with the fish being there in numbers and reasonably close to shore.

Last, be sure to hit up Mills Landing for a salt ice top off (you'll need more than you think) and the latest intel. before you head out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back