2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Fished the harbour today from 6:30 to 11:30. Released a few big wild coho that we got on the bottom. Minutes before watching Craven battle his big fish my buddy got the 10 lb spring. Back out tomorrow at 6:30 with sister in law from Ontario. If we hook up she gets the rod. Will be fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20180905_102756.jpg
    IMG_20180905_102756.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 54
I,ve been driving the shipping lanes the last 3 days. There are miles and miles of 4 inch herring jumping everywhere.

Was out off the breakwater again this am. What a beauty day, calm clear water basking in the sun. 6 lb female hatch on green flasher and spoon about
8;30am got the skunk off again. Was a bit quiet for a while then I think I saw Scott land his fish as well as another boat. We were heading down the breakwater heading towards clover just past the bend in the wall when the stars aligned. My buddy had the first fish so I was on this one and all that good clean living paid off. It started as about a 12 to 15 pound but got a bit more stubborn then a seal showed up so the pressure was on. The drag was on tight, kicker still in forward, I wasn't making much progress as the seal (small one) looked on. The fish got closer to the boat and it appeared this was a good size fish that wasn't ready to get netted as I battled the beast closer we had a chance at her but this fish made my net look small as it wriggled back out and sounded under the boat. Luckily another chance at the side and with a grunt she was in the net and in the boat. On my scale in the boat 26 1/2 wild red female on the same green spoon in 75 ft of water and 54 on the rigger. Take that Sooke hehe.

Attachments

• IMG_1115.PNG
    IMG_1115.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Thanks for the reports!

Anyone know of good spots to fish from shore off Gordon Head or launch a fishing kayak? Looking at moving to the Glencoe Cove area and it would be great to have my son grow up working for his food rather than just learning from dad trolling. Feel free to PM me, I'll only fish there once or twice a year if I'm lucky but I plan for this to be my last move with any luck!

No fishing reports from me as back to school and house hunting prep has taken all my time.

You could launch the kayak at Telegraph Bay, then paddle out of the bay, turn right and its a short paddle to Ten Mile Point. I'm not sure if many fish are caught off there anymore, but as a young kid, I used to ride my bicycle there and cast off the rocks. It used to be almost shoulder to shoulder there with guys fishing.
There are a few kelp beds around the bay aswell so Greenling could be on the menu.

I also used to cast off the rocks at the bottom of Gordon Head road where it becomes Ferndale.

Took sister in law from Ontario out to catch her first salmon. She gets 2 inside 10 mins. Anchovie out off macauley point.

Attachments

• IMG_20180906_082047.jpg
    IMG_20180906_082047.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20180906_082010.jpg
    IMG_20180906_082010.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20180906_080606.jpg
    IMG_20180906_080606.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 122
Thanks for the reports!

Anyone know of good spots to fish from shore off Gordon Head or launch a fishing kayak? Looking at moving to the Glencoe Cove area and it would be great to have my son grow up working for his food rather than just learning from dad trolling. Feel free to PM me, I'll only fish there once or twice a year if I'm lucky but I plan for this to be my last move with any luck!

No fishing reports from me as back to school and house hunting prep has taken all my time.

I occasionally see people casting off Cormorant Point. Not sure if they are catching.

Janet got this 7 lb spring this morning while we bounced around in the chop off the harbour. Got it near the green can and left shortly after as the wind picked up. Saturday looks much better.

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_074055.jpg
    IMG_20180907_074055.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 39
6 hrs of fishing the harbour mouth this morning in a very thick fog. Released 3 nice wild coho and kept one 7 lb hatchery coho. Thought maybe the fog would burn off but no such luck, cleared as we got back to James Bay anglers.

Attachments

• IMG_20180908_110602.jpg
    IMG_20180908_110602.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 56
Back