2018 Sidney Reports

View attachment 40260 Question: are these fish? I seem to get this kind of image all the time at powder wharf all the time but never get bites!

Looks good. I would be fishing at 60 ft. In line with those marks. Just below the bait ball. I try to fish just below the bait ball to show the fish that my lure is an injured bait and easy for taking. Usually works. I usually don't get much above a bait ball as you are competing with all the bait. But it can happen. I also like to fish around a bait ball and not right on top of it. Not sure if you jigging or trolling but either would work or fish as close to bottom as possible.l

They are all dead, floating belly up !;)
I get that quite a bit as well. Seems to also coincide with the Sidney salad that pushes through there. The marks you have there do look like arches,
Have had my sounder light up at dusk around the 30 ft contour in the summer months. Dont be fooled though, it's all doggies.

We were at Hamley this morning and lucked into a 16lb spring on bait down 80 ft in 100 ft of water. Right on what I thought was the tide turn at 11am (estimated as middle of active pass, east juan de fuca current tables), though the current didn't actually turn anywhere around 11am. What's the best reference for tide change in Sidney?

I saw another boat catch and release one at about the same time, not sure exactly what they had. We were pretty happy, first Sidney area spring to the boat in longer than I'll admit and pulled in by a really keen young guest.

We were at Hamley this morning and lucked into a 16lb spring on bait down 80 ft in 100 ft of water. Right on what I thought was the tide turn at 11am (estimated as middle of active pass, east juan de fuca current tables), though the current didn't actually turn anywhere around 11am. What's the best reference for tide change in Sidney?

I saw another boat catch and release one at about the same time, not sure exactly what they had. We were pretty happy, first Sidney area spring to the boat in longer than I'll admit and pulled in by a really keen young guest.
I use the Kellet Bluff current table as opposed to tide chart for Hamley,but I must say it can be off by quite a bit!

Last edited:
Back