2018 Sidney Reports

Went for the afternoon session with the Mrs.
Tight lines had the first keeper to hit the deck in her first official attempt.
It was an accidental lingcod (my first lingcod!) measured in at exactly the legal limit. Hot and sunny. Long day. I’m spent.

Went for the afternoon session with the Mrs.
Tight lines had the first keeper to hit the deck in her first official attempt.
It was an accidental lingcod (my first lingcod!) measured in at exactly the legal limit. Hot and sunny. Long day. I’m spent.
Take your boat to the other side of the Island and your luck will change!

Take your boat to the other side of the Island and your luck will change!
I agree... I have to take what I can get these days. The baby is very young and I’m already working more than 40 a week. I feel like next year I will cut loose on some weekend trips and bust my slump.

Good fishing at coal the last couple trips. Hooked up with a few nice fish last night on the high tide, but lost them all, 2 about 10 pounds and another one much bigger, clip popper and screaming out the rod holder instantly. Lost a cannonball shortly after and called it a night. Woke up at 330 am thinking about the fish we lost so decided to go Out solo and it paid off. Had the line in just before 5am and was back at the dock at 7am with my limit! 14 and 10 pounds, lost another. All fish on skinny g’s. 65ft-85ft and 100ft on the riggers, most bait I’ve ever seen at coal, sounder was loaded all morning.

Encouraged by the reports, I tried Coal this morning. The word is out as I was the 6th boat out there at 5:45 a.m. Picked up a nice 12 pound hatchery just before the morning tide change. Saw a few other fish netted. Moved over to Moresby and fished from 9 - noon. Lots of bait. One good bite that didn't connect and lost another after foul hooking it but nothing else to the boat. Anchovies and purple teasers.

Encouraged by the reports, I tried Coal this morning. The word is out as I was the 6th boat out there at 5:45 a.m. Picked up a nice 12 pound hatchery just before the morning tide change. Saw a few other fish netted. Moved over to Moresby and fished from 9 - noon. Lots of bait. One good bite that didn't connect and lost another after foul hooking it but nothing else to the boat. Anchovies and purple teasers.

Yeah it was busy there this morning, I was the first at 4:45 and had a bit of action on anchovies too. Nice work on the 12 pounder

Out at Coal again this morning from 6 till noon. Two nice fish boated within an hour of the tide change. 13 pound hatchery and a 19 pound wild that came in just under the 85cm limit. 65 - 85 feet on anchovies.

Took the relatives from Regina for a quick fish around tide change today at coal, bonked a 15 and lost 2 others in 2.5 hours of fishing. 75 ft on anchovies! Half a dozen boats out there, seen a few other nice fish landed. Going To try again with them tommorow and hopefully send them home with a couple more fish!

Finally got the boat out for a sea trial last night, which includes downrigger and rod and reel operational checks (of course). Was then rewarded with a systems commission on the net as a belligerent 80 cm hatch tested my solo landing abilities! Hate it when they just want to swim 20ft away from you.
Just off the Powderwharf amid the salad bar. 45ft in 90ft on a glow hootchey. This guy was stuffed full of needlefish. No keeper dungies but did get a couple delicious big rock crab for dinner last night.
Sounder lit up in the shallows (30 ft) after pulling the traps just at sundown. Whipped out a jig and gave it a try. Dogfish- a ton of them. Filled the screen on my sounder. Wonder if they were attracted to the bait in all the commie pots out there.

Fished Coal yesterday, got two solid hits that didn’t stick, one just under 62(released) and three dog fish. Surprised with the dogs given the speed I was going. I sped up after the first and I kept checking my relative speed compared to the other boats and was going as fast or faster. Might have just got lucky lol.

Went for solo fish at Coal again through the low tide change this morning. Tons of bait. Went 2 for 3 and picked up 63 and 67 cm Springs. Both around 100 feet on anchovies. One hatch, one wild. Done by 9:30. Loving the 5 minute commute to the fishing grounds.

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 82
Fished with the family again today at coal and was rewarded with a scrappy 13 pound hatchery! Always funny to watch the prairie boys get their knuckles busted lol. 2 other good pulls that didn’t stick. 100 ft on skinny g’s

Went out for 4 hours this morning. 4 undersized. 2 definitely legals lost. One when my fenwick hmx rod literally blew up into 4 pieces. Coal and Sidney spit is where I fished. Nice to have a few bites, last couple times I've been out recently have been very slow.

Saw a few sockeye jumping too!

Fished Fairfax and Coal this morning. Current was pretty stiff at Coal so we moved to Fairfax. Lots of bait, but no luck. Saw a couple of other boats working Fairfax but didn’t see anyone land anything.

Fished Coal 5-9 last night. Not even a bite.
5 boats fishing. No fish caught.
A few bait balls around so enough to keep us interested but no bite came on.
Tides were moving pretty good and lots of weed in the water.

Still a nice night for flip flop, tank top fishing.

Back