2018 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Moved our boat to Madeira Park and looking for end of season opportunities. Any particular areas to focus on in mid Sept - Oct? Epsom, Shoals been producing coho and springs late summer, curious what one can expect next month?

In my experiance the fishing will become spotty with a few really good days in the mix. I had a few stellar days for springs in sept/Oct last year and a few solid skunkings. Usual spots.
Agreed. The Fishing is slowing down, but I was off last week and managed to find a few still lingering around. My wife got a 21.5lber jigging on the inside of the shoal on Monday. Tuesday found a 12.5 on the east side of the shoal. Wednesday was a conservation day, released small springs (just under) and wild coho. Saturday we got a 9.5 and a 8 off of Whitestone. But this summer overall has been outstanding.

Out at Epsom on Wednesday night. It was slow trolling around so I went on the hunt for bait and started jigging. Released a small spring. Hog herring around, they were actually hitting the jig.

Attachments

• C0E0E634-C355-4850-BC9A-88CD01694153.jpeg
    C0E0E634-C355-4850-BC9A-88CD01694153.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 86
According to Fishing BC you won’t be able to keep chinooks after Sept 30th.
I do not believe that is correct. Fishing BC app does show that only 1 Chinook June 1st to Sept 30th. But I would not read into that, that after Sept 30th it will close..it will likely remain 1 Chinook over winter for area 16, or perhaps even go back to 2 Chinook per day over winter and next Spring...until next May or June when fishing pressure increases again for summer and likely back to 1 perhaps next summer.

Water was snotty as hell today but we were set on fishing. Fished Bjerre the low tide change and got 2 wild coho and a nice 13lb red on good ole 602. Lots of marks and small schools marked over the afternoon but they seemed really tight lipped, and only a couple more undersize to the boat. Lots of bait marked as well.

hey guys,

I'm running my boat to egmont this weekend and have some time Saturday morning to get out for some fishing. Are there any spots in that vicinity that may be worth checking out? Complete shot in the dark but thought I'd throw it out there. Cheers!

I have a book of all the hot spots around Egmont some place. It's from the 60's and times have changed.
I "camped" by the marina about 15 years ago in August. The only people there were some folks looking for sea urchins. There is good prawning around there too.
I went out in my 11 foot whaler with little gear and no downriggers and no net. I got a 32# spring with a mooching weight and a dead herring. I was just trying to get a bottom fish.
I put a heart on my spot for you. Don't have a break down and get sucked through the rapids at the wrong tide.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    371.2 KB · Views: 82
I have a book of all the hot spots around Egmont some place. It's from the 60's and times have changed.
I "camped" by the marina about 15 years ago in August. The only people there were some folks looking for sea urchins. There is good prawning around there too.
I went out in my 11 foot whaler with little gear and no downriggers and no net. I got a 32# spring with a mooching weight and a dead herring. I was just trying to get a bottom fish.
I put a heart on my spot for you. Don't have a break down and get sucked through the rapids at the wrong tide.

Awesome! Thanks very much!

If the water is nice, you can fish anywhere along the coast that looks good to you but the popular stops would be the Epsom shelf which is the northern tip of Thormanby island. If you follow the mainland north from Epsom there is a giant shoal called Bjerre which fishes well. You can fish along the Texada island side as well, the southern tip is called Upwood point which is another popular spot. Heading to Egmont through the Agamenmon channel theres are spots to fish in the channel as well, but I would fish in the strait if the water is nice.

Realistcally you can fish anywhere you like the structure, but I would check out Epsom and Bjerre!

Awesome, thanks for the great input! Where is pirate rock?

if your heading from secret cove start heading towards halfmoon bay you will see on the right a light house just around the corner is pirates rock but usually thats a massive breeding area for seals.... lots of bait usually schools in there but if you do hook up good luck ripping it into the boat before the hoards of seals get in the water! lol

we used to mooch that area alot but the seals got too much, so moved to epsom instead

Hey I'm going up the Coast this weekend as well on Saturday, looks like building ridge of sorts and the seas should be OK...my plan is to have a peek in around Camp Byng to see if there are cohos around then make a run straight over to Upwood for springs. Pirate Rock was good to me this summer, never was sealed once...you might want to start off the hump and troll north for an hour to see if you find any slabs heading down, they're coming based on what we saw last weekend up the Straits. Cheers and enjoy the run!

Any recent reports from the secret cove area? Gonna be up there this weekend fishing out of a friends grandfathers c - dory the half moon hooker

Back