Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi it has been several years since I have fished sandheads. I I am looking for the coordinates for the boundaries ? Also just a quick note how far out is the boundry from the end of the breakwater?

Thank you

the odd year you can catch sockeye without the dummies, I would definitely start with dummies, many years 1 dummy a side is enough, more recently 2 per side has been better, but when the fishing gets hot you can try no dummies and if it works you can save yourself a bit of time and hassle. If you have 3 or 4 down riggers you can just load 1 with dummies (stack 4 or 5) and no lines so it is always down and at times you will get a school following, especially if it's been slow if you end up raising all your lines you can lose a small school, so always try leaving one side down and typically they will keep following.

This might help. Jason from Pacific Angler "hooked" me up with this drawing 4 years ago (wow time flies). Maybe it'll be helpful for someone else this Sockeye season.

I guess the diagram would be for a two rod set up. I recommend four lines with four dummy flashers for maximum sockeye sh*t-show action. I think we spaced at 6 ft, but 2010 is a long time ago.
Although, Jason's set up does look effective and much more civilized.

Jason usually has more than 1 rod stacked above the 2 dummies. I sometimes stack 3 rods above my dummies especially when just starting looking for schools and the bite to start then go back to 2. back in the 80's to mid 90's we used to have 2 good years 1 so so year and 1 lean year. in those days I had 4 manual dr's on the back of my boat and would fish 8 rods on charters at times, lots of multiple hookups of 4 fish or more on at once.

Attachments

• sockeye fishing.jpg
    sockeye fishing.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 162
I guess the diagram would be for a two rod set up. I recommend four lines with four dummy flashers for maximum sockeye sh*t-show action. I think we spaced at 6 ft, but 2010 is a long time ago.
Although, Jason's set up does look effective and much more civilized.
I wanted to try and run set lengths of braid with cannons and dummies right off my cleats this year. Then stack three rods per rigger with just one dummy on the bottom. See how it goes lol.

Jason usually has more than 1 rod stacked above the 2 dummies. I sometimes stack 3 rods above my dummies especially when just starting looking for schools and the bite to start then go back to 2. back in the 80's to mid 90's we used to have 2 good years 1 so so year and 1 lean year. in those days I had 4 manual dr's on the back of my boat and would fish 8 rods on charters at times, lots of multiple hookups of 4 fish or more on at once.

Awesome with the four manuals, hope you hired a deckhand to just wind all day.

Dammmnnnnn I too was planning to head out but not now with a wind warning. It was blowing pretty good in Howe Sound this afternoon and was starting to wonder about tomorrow. Please if anyone hears anything different about tomorrows weather please post it. Thanks

Well, so much for me not procrastinating on my report. I actually did type a report on the water on Monday but later realized I forgot to hit post.
Anyway, I left Halkett Bay Monday morning and went straight to RC and started fishing solo east with hootchies. I caught three wild coho and lost a couple. Got to Cowen and pulled up to rip over and get the boy from HB. We went back to Cowen around 1pm and fished west. We got quite a few hits right away but lost a lot of them and the few we did manage to net were wilds. We finally got our 1st hatchery around 3 o’clock and from then on it was non-stop action in the flood tide all the way to Popham Island. Got a spring too but lost it. The weather was amazing. Flat calm water and hot sun. We stopping a couple times to jump in and cool off. We ended up with four hatchery fish with little more room in our cooler anyway. We anchored in Plumper cove and had salmon for dinner. Stayed the night and wanted to fish our way back in the morning and did manage to get another hatchery right away but it was too windy and wavy so we just boated around the backside of Bowen to HB and called it a day!

I have to say I owe our success on the report from fellow member iFish. We also used white hootchies at between 40 and 50 feet and we were going to head over to the hump where he found his fish but stayed on south Bowen since the hits were happening there. We noticed that 50 feet was best so ran our two rods right there. We also noticed that just a plain white hootchie, no glow, no uv, was out fishing those others.
I’ve never been on a charter before and I really haven’t done a whole lot of fishing but to me this was epic! No double headers but so much fun on such an amazing summer day!

29-1 to 29-5 opens tomorrow.
Thanks.

Think I found the ‘separate fisheries notice’ that was referenced in FN0666. The retention notice isnt very specific. Assuming the retention refers to all of the entire areas in the title (FN0682).

“Retention of sockeye in marine recreational fisheries is scheduled to begin on
August 1 and an Area D commercial gill net fishery is being planned for August
1 to August 3.”

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=211312&ID=all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back