Status
Not open for further replies.
I post while fishing, be it good fishing or slow fishing. Leeching from others and not contributing simply doesn’t sit well with me.

Hardly anyone uses the VHF anymore. It may be best to think of this forum in that light. Meaning, you don’t need to be a member to read the posts. There are many many people reading this who never contribute and never intend to.

Perhaps that should change or perhaps there is a members only forum I’m not aware of. A members only forum could spur members to contribute or lose access. Also, I’m sure everyone would feel more inclined to share.

Anyone think this is a good idea? Does this already exist?

I'm going to make an effort to post while fishing or at the dock afterwards. I often procrastinate and then never get around to it especially if it was a skunk trip (like my last two!) But I think its only fair that if we're using this forum to help us find and play those fish, we owe it to the guys who post useful information to do the same.

Seatosky, I thought about a "contributors forum" as well that could require the minimum of essential information in a report (Place, Depth, Gear and Time are four good ones!)...otherwise you get prompted for it or booted maybe for a week or two!? You'd probably have to start with open access and then start picking guys off that aren't posting properly, or enough. That might work to encourage everyone's participation and proper contribution. So who wants to get that started? lol

Or what about a "Braggers Only" forum where you just tell or show everyone what you caught. But you're not allowed to say how or where you got them! I bet you'd still get guys asking! lol

Btw, I thought it was really funny that the guy who started this reports thread thinks its OK for us all to leave out our catch location

Anyway, I'm gonna get out there tomorrow. The boat is the place to be in this heat. Not sure where yet but hopefully on the water thru Tuesday!

Thanks for the posts guys. I appreciate them as I'm sure we all do. Love the stories too!

Hi everyone. I am new here. Appologies for my English it is not my mother tongue. Hope my report will contribute to this forum. Today we ended up with 2 chinooks 18 and 15 lb and one hatchery coho of a keeper size. One more coho and a dogfish were released. First chinook was caught close to bell buoy at around 6 am. Gear: white hoochie with red dots paired with gibbs moon jelly uv flasher. Depth 90. Soon after that we landed 2 cohos (one undersized) using the same gear. Dogfish cought with herring was the final fish at bell buoy. At 12 pm we decided to try Point Atkinson. No success there.
One more chinook was cought at HITW at around 3 pm. Same hoochie as before but with a purple flasher. Depth 50.

Hi everyone. I am new here. Appologies for my English it is not my mother tongue. Hope my report will contribute to this forum. Today we ended up with 2 chinooks 18 and 15 lb and one hatchery coho of a keeper size. One more coho and a dogfish were released. First chinook was caught close to bell buoy at around 6 am. Gear: white hoochie with red dots paired with gibbs moon jelly uv flasher. Depth 90. Soon after that we landed 2 cohos (one undersized) using the same gear. Dogfish cought with herring was the final fish at bell buoy. At 12 pm we decided to try Point Atkinson. No success there.
One more chinook was cought at HITW at around 3 pm. Same hoochie as before but with a purple flasher. Depth 50.
Welcome! Thanks for contributing :)

Spent the night at the dock in Gibsons, so gave salmon rock a bit of time late Friday and Saturday morning, no luck, marked a bit of bait and some archers. Picked up and tried the south end of Bowen, got into a really good coho bite, had a triple and several doubles, ended with 5 lost a fair few and released some nice wilds, one that was 8 or 9 lbs I’d say. We ran 4 hootchies between 60 and 20 feet. Bite was on for a good couple hours.

Your English is excellent. In fact, better than many Canadian born contributors....Thanks for contributing.

Saturday we fished the hump from 0730 - 1500
Great day! Touched at least 15 fish (lost count), not including the dog I hooked though the dorsal.
We released 6 fat wild coho, (lost a few too) and managed to box a small hatchery. Three springs came along side (all wild), all under at around 60cm.

Early morning, mid morning then between 2-3 (just after tide change) was when we had all the action.
Lures for the day: Started with white glow hootchie, gibbs herring aid, and AP sandlance. (Sorry I don't know the name s of the different flashers, each rod had a different one.)
After the hootchie got two hits, I changed out the herring aid for another white hootchie - one minute and BAM, another wild! Fished quite a few hours with only those two rods getting the action and after changing out the sandlance to try several other spoons and eventully to a green spackleback hootchie which eventually resulted in a undersized spring.

For depths I tried form top rod at 30 to as deep as 200. Had all action in 30 - 57 feet.
Just a note about the afternoon tide change: my wife and Dad were bored and wanted to call it quits, I suggested we wait for another hour to fish the beginning of the flood. Not much going on, then I decided to patrol the current lines. You know, where the smooth meets the ripple... well we barely cut though the first and wowser - double header. Wild coho and a spring. Over the next hour had 10 fish on.

We had a wonderful day with lots of action, so we really can't complain. Fresh coho for the bbq tonight!
upload_2018-7-29_8-0-37.jpeg

Last edited:
We fished west Van on Friday 1:00-6:00 and again yesterday from 5:00-8:00 and only had 2 undersized Chinooks. Lots of bait balls and bait on the surface and we marked quiet a number of fish closer to the fisheries building but no takers for us. Tried hootchies and spoons at different depths. Lots of bait around and with the full moon it may explain the slow days for most guys. Saw a guy at the dock with a small coho yesterday. He said he caught the coho by the Ambleside after 7 hours of trolling. Anchovies curing right now and I’m going to try the bell or the hump tomorrow if the winds cooperate.

Hump today from 12-330. 5 coho to the boat, but only one hatchery plus missed a few other bites. Fish were biting from 25-60 feet. Got em on white hootchies and anchovies. Seemed to be pretty steady action while we were there.

It's a shame wild are non retention as it seems they are so abundant at times and you need to catch so many to find your hatchery fish... Gill hooked one and it's tough to release a fish that won't make it, especially when there are dozens of boats out there doing the same...

Fished off RC from 1 to 4 this afternoon. Very productive coho bite. Released 3 beauty wild coho and boxed 2 hatchery fish, one that was 7 pounds! Also lost a 12 - 15 pound spring at the boat. All the action was on white hootchie and purple haze hootchie from 40 to 45 feet. Great day on the water.

I'm going to make an effort to post while fishing or at the dock afterwards. I often procrastinate and then never get around to it especially if it was a skunk trip (like my last two!) But I think its only fair that if we're using this forum to help us find and play those fish, we owe it to the guys who post useful information to do the same.

Seatosky, I thought about a "contributors forum" as well that could require the minimum of essential information in a report (Place, Depth, Gear and Time are four good ones!)...otherwise you get prompted for it or booted maybe for a week or two!? You'd probably have to start with open access and then start picking guys off that aren't posting properly, or enough. That might work to encourage everyone's participation and proper contribution. So who wants to get that started? lol

Or what about a "Braggers Only" forum where you just tell or show everyone what you caught. But you're not allowed to say how or where you got them! I bet you'd still get guys asking! lol

Btw, I thought it was really funny that the guy who started this reports thread thinks its OK for us all to leave out our catch location

Anyway, I'm gonna get out there tomorrow. The boat is the place to be in this heat. Not sure where yet but hopefully on the water thru Tuesday!

Thanks for the posts guys. I appreciate them as I'm sure we all do. Love the stories too!

You found that funny did you?

It’s a reports thread. If you want to put in the location, then fine...do, if you don’t, then don’t.

If you know how to read and are experienced....you would be able to infer and figure out where I was Fishing. I had a phone call from someone asking me how it was and they read my report. They knew exactly where I was within 3 miles. How’s that for you? They figured it out.

I think what you want is someone to take the sport of “Fishing” and it make it easy “catching” for you. You want others to save you boat gas and basically catch you that fish

Start your own thread then all call it the tell all thread.

A few recommendations for you:

1. Pictures of location, boat, gear and everything needs to be photo documented and put on the report. Times as well. I’d like to bust everyone killing undersized fish and misidentifying species. Also the 25-30% of us out there STILL fishing with barbed hooks FFS! 20 years after it was done away with!!!

2. Post on the Vancouver Salmon Fishing Facebook Page. That page LOVES to send 25 boats into a 3-5 boat spot or put 25 boats on a 10 boat area. Want something fast? Get Instagram and see what everyone is doing instantly.

3. Call up the local pros and tackle shops and ***** them out about withholding info too. Those reports are written exactly the same as mine. If they say “Hump” you know 30-50 boats are going to show up. By the way, the reports are not 2 weeks old...they recap the previous weeks fishing efforts and success up to the day before. If it is not in the report, they probably didn’t fish it. Some reports love sending people on wild goose chases too....given only 2 fish were caught all week in a certain spot or make out like the fishing was great yet limits were not obtained.....but I won’t mention those shops by name. But it’s great to send people on recon missions to give you reports!

I went out and had a fortunate couple of days getting daily Chinook limits for me and my Dad. Lucky me.

Also...just thinking aloud here....if Anglers are hooking 90% wild (unclipped) Coho and it’s a shooting gallery wouldn’t it make sense to NOT fish to intercept these?

I know people having had all this action are loving it but have you thought about it that way?

Just because you’re getting the odd hatchery don’t assume they are all from the same stock.

We need a good 2-3 days of rain to disperse those fish. Good for making the rods
Move but not much else....because I see multiple videos of people netting wild Coho Around Vancouver and them bringing them in the boat for pictures and treating the fish like crap.... LIKE WHY?!?

FFS..identify species and legality BEFORE boating the fish!!!!

The heading at the top says "FISHING REPORTS"
I assume the intent was to provide following information:
1. Where you fished (general area ie: HITW, Cowan,RC is fine- don't need GPS coordinates)
2. How deep you were fishing?
3. What did you use? Flasher, lure,bait???
4. How did you make out? Weather conditions? Good, bad, or indifferent?
To those that do provide this information THANK YOU! You may save me a trip or an opportunity to catch something!
I in return will provide you the same when I go out. Hopefully it may help you as you have helped me. Sharing failures and successes is what fishing reports is all about. Tight lines to all fellow fishers✌

Also...just thinking aloud here....if Anglers are hooking 90% wild (unclipped) Coho and it’s a shooting gallery wouldn’t it make sense to NOT fish to intercept these?

I know people having had all this action are loving it but have you thought about it that way?

Just because you’re getting the odd hatchery don’t assume they are all from the same stock.

We need a good 2-3 days of rain to disperse those fish. Good for making the rods
Move but not much else....because I see multiple videos of people netting wild Coho Around Vancouver and them bringing them in the boat for pictures and treating the fish like crap.... LIKE WHY?!?

FFS..identify species and legality BEFORE boating the fish!!!!
Maybe it's time to hang up the keyboard.

Holy, Fishin’ Magician, you sure say a whole lot for nothing. I don’t understand a lot of it either. And you’re right, I couldn’t decider your cryptic location at all. It’s like a riddle. You’re more like a joker than a magician. lol.
But seriously, I think we can do without your input on here unless you want to report like a normal guy. Just be nice or don’t bother. I think a lot of people are getting on board by the looks of it which is awesome.

Anyway, I said I was going to get out here and I did sort of, but got off to a late start. My partners (kids) bailed on me so I came out alone. Son helped me launch at Horseshoe Bay at around 7 pm and I trolled for 15 minutes with hootchies from Boyer towards Hackett Bay. Does that count as a report? Ha ha. (No!...I didn’t include my depth! Lol)
I dropped the hook here and I guess I’ll get up early and try to catch some salmon somewhere in the morning.
I’ll let you know how I do!

Sure is peaceful here. Great night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back