I was Out in the kayak at Otter, 425 ft and found a few coho, 2 to the boat, both released(without the use of a net, BTW.).
On the way back in, I picked up this 14 lb spring between second and third rock.

Attachments

• IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 116
Safely released 3 wild coho today 8-10-12 pounds. Kept a clipped spring 5 pounds out in 500 ft. All Above 65 today little to no hits at 90. Love these September days. Hoping oct1 lets us keep a wild.

Tom when you get a tyee from that kayak you might be gone all day with it towing you wherever it wants. I saw a guy get a nice fish from a canoe at little beach in Ucluelet it was fun to watch!

Tom when you get a tyee from that kayak you might be gone all day with it towing you wherever it wants. I saw a guy get a nice fish from a canoe at little beach in Ucluelet it was fun to watch!
So far a tyee from the yak has eluded me, 23 is the biggest so far. The thought of a Nantucket sleigh ride keeps me trying though! I know of one kayak fisher who landed a 30 lber at Otter this year.
T2

Not sure what you guys are doing but there is something terribly wrong! There is no need to harm a wild coho when to be released! Fish a single barbless hook - not too big! - and then unbutton with the gaff or plyers beside your boat without touching. That way 90+% survival guaranteed. Don't blame the regs for your bad fish handling practices! If DFO learns that too many of us are too lazy or dumb to practice a decent catch and release then they will shut this fishery down, and rightfully so. Come on guys, get your act together, it's not hard! Only take your net out once you positively ID a keeper outside your boat!

I never net a fish unless i ID first. Prefer to release with a gaff hook boat side without touching the fish or damaging one scale. my shot at the regs has nothing to do with fish handling. i would prefer to retain one or two, over poking holes needlessly in dozens of coho to find my two hatchery fish. coho are suicidal and hammer the offering with reckless abandon. having to release a so called "wild" coho
whose eye has just been impaled with a hook or gill hooked that we all know is going to die makes no sense to me.
That 30 + coho day btw i was fishing the hump in CR targeting chinook; just couldn't get thru all the coho. :(

The only way you will stop poking holes in so many Coho is a mandatory take your 1st two coho and go home. Otherwise people will continue to catch and release wether wild or hatchery until they either have 2 nicer fish or the amount of time they planned on fishing that day is up.

Snuck out for 10-12 before work today out front. 5 minutes in double header 2 wilds then 30 min later another double this time 2 hatchery. A couple more wilds then had to call it. All 45 to 65 ft on coho killers and green hootchie. Best week of weather this year so far!

The only way you will stop poking holes in so many Coho is a mandatory take your 1st two coho and go home. Otherwise people will continue to catch and release wether wild or hatchery until they either have 2 nicer fish or the amount of time they planned on fishing that day is up.

I dont think it's as simple as that. I will often release a smaller "legal" fish if I think that my chances of catching bigger ones is good . I believe lots of people do also. However if I think that the survival of the fish might be compromised (hooked through the eye, bleeding, deep hooked, etc) I will keep it rather than waste the resource. I just want the option to keep an injured fish wild or hatchery.
The problem is you will never create a regulation that fits all scenarios, fisher people, and or their ethics. The trick is creating one that satisfies 70 % or better, and makes it easy to enforce and harder to cheat.
I am much more in favor of the one hatch and one wild program as it allows for my option to take a smaller wild fish if it is injured. I know there are some who wont, but I like to think most will.

my point exactly. thanks Rolly

I choose to wait till Oct. 1 to target coho and then use a single barbless hook on a swivel with my hootchies.
My kids and I look forward to coho fishery each year. It's like fishing pinks with the kids but way better fights and table fair.

Careful what you wish for or coho may be closed to retention till Oct. each year.

Tips!

I choose to wait till Oct. 1 to target coho and then use a single barbless hook on a swivel with my hootchies.
My kids and I look forward to coho fishery each year. It's like fishing pinks with the kids but way better fights and table fair.

Careful what you wish for or coho may be closed to retention till Oct. each year.

Tips!
Exactly

Went dragging for ho's, only found a wild and some shakers plus a 14lb Chinook off the trailer park. 20o' of water. 41' green hootchie. Sooke River fish maybe? Not too coloured but darkening on the back.

Fishbrain, I hear yeh about keeping any injured fish that looks like it will end up a floater...however that is a tricky one. Do you agree with DFO allowing FN on the Fraser to keep any sockeye they encounter in their nets that are dead? Exactly the same kind of exception granted to them...do you think it might possibly be abused? Yes officer they were all dead , yep all dead. You are asking for an unenforceable concession that would be abused...even by our sector. BTW I'm out for the 1st time in a bout 10 days on Sunday and all I hope is there are a few fish around I can put poke some holes in ;)

Fished the night bite from 5-7, got a bite at trap shack right away, my 11 year old son brought it in most of the way, and then it went on a few runs. With great patience, we eventually got it to the side of the boat and in, a beauty teenager spring. It was the only bite of the night, toured back from the trap to beechy and didn't see any other action. There was another bigger spring at the cleaning table, along with several coho and a smaller spring. Great evening on the water.

Last edited:
Fishbrain, I hear yeh about keeping any injured fish that looks like it will end up a floater...however that is a tricky one. Do you agree with DFO allowing FN on the Fraser to keep any sockeye they encounter in their nets that are dead? Exactly the same kind of exception granted to them...do you think it might possibly be abused? Yes officer they were all dead , yep all dead. You are asking for an unenforceable concession that would be abused...even by our sector. BTW I'm out for the 1st time in a bout 10 days on Sunday and all I hope is there are a few fish around I can put poke some holes in ;)

I completely agree with your comments profisher, that is why I said "The problem is you will never create a regulation that fits all scenarios, fisher people, and or their ethics. The trick is creating one that satisfies 70 % or better, and makes it easy to enforce and harder to cheat." in my post.
We all know that there are some who will always abuse the system. My comment wasn't intended to say we should be allowed to keep any, or all damaged fish, only that perhaps a one hatch and one wild type reg would allow the possibility of keeping the injured wild fish rather than just having to release it, as the regs state now.

Brought 7 to the boat this afternoon from 12:00-2:30 in front of Beechy.

Three chinook shakers trying to make friends with the anchovies.

Three wild coho, one of which was given a good nose piercing with the double single hook teaser. The front hook went in his mouth, out his nose and wrapped around the leader and attached to the back hook. Rather than messing with it, I cut the line and he went back happily.

One hatchery, not big, but delicious.

Gear: army truck and purple haze teasers, purple haze hoochie and Left Coast Lures cut plug spoon and Hammer.

Depth: 450-620, 65-120 Ft of downrigger line.

Happy for some refreshing rains!

Brought 7 to the boat this afternoon from 12:00-2:30 in front of Beechy.

Three chinook shakers trying to make friends with the anchovies.

Three wild coho, one of which was given a good nose piercing with the double single hook teaser. The front hook went in his mouth, out his nose and wrapped around the leader and attached to the back hook. Rather than messing with it, I cut the line and he went back happily.

One hatchery, not big, but delicious.

Gear: army truck and purple haze teasers, purple haze hoochie and Left Coast Lures cut plug spoon and Hammer.

Depth: 450-620, 65-120 Ft of downrigger line.

Happy for some refreshing rains!
I doubt he was that happy with those hooks in his face

Back