Went out on Rockfish’s boat yesterday (Sunday) 7:45am until 3:30pm. Fabulous flat calm and sunny all day with no wind at all.

Started out at the Bluffs and Harbour mouth and trolled anchovies in 80-95’ of water. Nothing for the first 90 minutes and then got a pounding hit around 9:30am at 51’. Fish gave a short run then came in but stayed down a bit. Got a good view as we got it to the boat before it gave a final twist and roll and slipped the hook. Probably a good mid-teener. Good to see the odd one is still around.

After two more hours without a hit, at 11:30 am we headed out for coho. There must have been 70-100 boats strung out all along the Strait from Otter point to Beechy head, all out in 400-500’of water. We searched for some time but only got sporadic hits in the 50-75’ range with long periods of inaction between. Boated a clipped one, lost a good one, released a nice unclipped one and missed a couple. Used glow hootchies and little herring in tiny teaser heads.

Finished in Possession and Secretary but nothing doing and called it a day.

I was fishing for springs yesterday (Sunday) from 4pm to 7:30pm at Otter. Really beautiful day. Why don't we have such weather every day in summer?
Fishing was great too. I got 3 springs on but unfortunately lost two of them. The one that made it into my boat was about 10lbs red male hatchery spring that fought surprisingly strong. Additionally I got two shakers that were released. All fish were caught on anchovy. I was fishing spoon on my second rod as usual without any success. This time I tried cohokiller and coyote.

Out twice yesterday. First light off Beachy Head produced a small clipped spring at 66ft on anchovy then we had to wait till 10 for a nice long fight with a 17 # (at 77ft) that we won! Home to do an hour of yard work and then back out try my luck solo. Hooked into a nice 15 # off Aldridge at 7.... forgot to turn on the gopro so only got the last half of the fight. Outstanding day out there, going to miss days like this in the winter.

Last edited:
Had a great day with my younger son yesterday. Started at Otter in the morning and fished through the slack. Landed one spring and lost another after a short fight. Then headed way out and got into some nice coho action. Hooked at least 20 hos out there and some were pushing 10 lbs. Trolled all the way back to the harbor and found the occasional coho on the way but much smaller than far out.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg

Out Sunday released a ton of small hatchery and wild coho 6 to 8 lb range. Had one spring on in the mid afternoon but lost it. All out front of the harbour. Closer in for spring and far out in 550 feet of water off secretary. Saw lots of tiny coho at cleaning stations.

Last edited:
Fished 6-12 today off secretary. Tried a few passes for springs close in early but nothing happening. Trolled out to 450ft in search of coho and hit a nice 15lb white spring on a hootchie my 4 year old picked out of a bin at I.O, go figure. Kept going to 550ft and headed west and had consistent action the next 3hrs. Kept 5 clipped and released some wilds as big as the spring. Perfect conditions one of the nicest mornings this year.

Fished Sunday 11-3. Started in tight from aldridge to trap. Not a touch on 3 rods. Headed out from trap to the deeps and got a 5 pound clip on skinny g around 12. Not much more until 2 in 550 ft water picked up a nice red spring 14 pound on hand painted blueberry coyote. Had 2-3 more hits down deep that didn't stick than got a 17 pound white on same spoon around 3. Headed for home what a beauty day for sure. Close to giving up in tight to shore that's for sure. Are the springs out deep because of the hot summer or they always out there? I have always fished in 200 ft or less for summer springs?

Fished Sunday 11-3. Started in tight from aldridge to trap. Not a touch on 3 rods. Headed out from trap to the deeps and got a 5 pound clip on skinny g around 12. Not much more until 2 in 550 ft water picked up a nice red spring 14 pound on hand painted blueberry coyote. Had 2-3 more hits down deep that didn't stick than got a 17 pound white on same spoon around 3. Headed for home what a beauty day for sure. Close to giving up in tight to shore that's for sure. Are the springs out deep because of the hot summer or they always out there? I have always fished in 200 ft or less for summer springs?
I have been on this forum for about 7 years but have never seen a Sooke post before where someone has hit two springs in 550' of water in one day. (I see Jama picked one up out there too.) You don't say actually how deep you were fishing but I have seen "lines" of fish echoes at 280-300' before, which may have been chinook. I assume you were not fishing that deep!!
Anyway, your report is evidence of some change in chinook behaviour this year, which may be temperature or climate change related.

I have been on this forum for about 7 years but have never seen a Sooke post before where someone has hit two springs in 550' of water in one day. (I see Jama picked one up out there too.) You don't say actually how deep you were fishing but I have seen "lines" of fish echoes at 280-300' before, which may have been chinook. I assume you were not fishing that deep!!
Anyway, your report is evidence of some change in chinook behaviour this year, which may be temperature or climate change related.
65 feet down in 450ft right off secretary for the 15. Also released 3 more springs that were about 55cm out deep. I thought it might have been racing home after the rain when I caught it. I really thought it was a coho at first as it jumped clear out of the water and didn't run but as soon as it saw my face it peeled out some line.

I was 77 and 91 feet on the rigger!

I have been on this forum for about 7 years but have never seen a Sooke post before where someone has hit two springs in 550' of water in one day.

You don't hear it because most guys are not fishing out that far. The springs are there. Been lots of times a spring has caught me off guard in the big water when targeting other species.
Its not that they are not there, it is just easier to target them in a smaller body of water. ie. shallower

Reports are always a bit skewed. If a 10 guys are fishing, 9 with a blue lure and 1 with a green lure, the report will be blue is catching better than green.

IMO.

Tips

Chinook are everywhere but faster currents near shore concentrate and school them up making more likely you can catch more of them in a small period of time. Fish further offshore there is more water between fish and you have to be somewhat lucky to find a school and get multiple fish from it. When you find a school near shore on the flood it is relatively easy to predict where they will go...not so easy out in the ozone. They only have to deviate a few degrees one way or the other and you aren't likely to find them again.

You don't hear it because most guys are not fishing out that far. The springs are there. Been lots of times a spring has caught me off guard in the big water when targeting other species.
Its not that they are not there, it is just easier to target them in a smaller body of water. ie. shallower

Reports are always a bit skewed. If a 10 guys are fishing, 9 with a blue lure and 1 with a green lure, the report will be blue is catching better than green.

IMO.

Tips
Some of what you say is true. Nonetheless, I personally cannot recall a Sooke post (may be different elsewhere) where someone has posted they have caught two chinook of that size in 550' of water while chasin' coho. Perhaps you manage it all he time Tips, but you are an expert.
I still think three decent fish reported on the same day from 550' is unique and there may have been others unreported since only a few guys out there post on here.
Very unusual occurrence indeed.:confused: Cool though.......

Some of what you say is true. Nonetheless, I personally cannot recall a Sooke post (may be different elsewhere) where someone has posted they have caught two chinook of that size in 550' of water while chasin' coho. Perhaps you manage it all he time Tips, but you are an expert.
I still think three decent fish reported on the same day from 550' is unique and there may have been others unreported since only a few guys out there post on here.
Very unusual occurrence indeed.:confused: Cool though.......

This happened last year and happens frequently in tide lines in fall. Seen it a lot. Remember EM only a fraction of guys post on here that are out. Most are lurkers. They know who they are.... there is a lot on this forum that never post anymore.

Englishman...think about the commercial troll fleet who fish offshore and catch most of their springs there. They can't fish the beach effectively as they need deeper water to get all their gear in the water and more room to maneuver. All that gear from top to bottom in deeper offshore water is their equalizer.

I remember 2 years ago during the Pink Salmon Festival when it was held the 3rd week in August I took out two young kids and their dad. The pinks unfortunately had come super early that year and by the end of August there were barely any around anymore. We were cruising all over the open strait to find a few pink stragglers for those kids. Finally one rod goes off and I set the hook and as I was passing the rod to this super excited 6 year old boys the fish starts ripping line like crazy. Oh oh, I say, you got yourself a good spring! The boy gets his knuckles busted badly and runs crying into the cuddy and wants nothing to do with this fish. His 8 year old daughter finishes the fight and lands a nice spring in the high teens. Strange I thought, pink hootchie in standard pink depth way out there in the middle of nowhere. Next bite maybe 20 min later, I grab the rod, line starts peeling... no way. Boy stayed in the cuddy, no way to lure him out and try the rod again. His sister lands another teener. I radio around again if someone in the fleet out there found a school of pinks. I got to get away from the springs! Victoriaboater found a couple pinks over 600' of water. We boot out there in the slop, lines down, fish on! Nice - I talk the boy into coming out the cuddy while holding the rod - only a few tugs until then. The boy was almost at the rod when the rod doubles over, another spring! This one pushing 20#. The girl wins another battle. I can't believe it. Then nothing. No pinks. Time almost up, I hear some pinks are caught in 400' off the head. What the heck, lets give it 15 min there. Lines down, hit, a large wild coho that the dad brought to the boat. Now the boy gets jealous that everyone landed a fish except for him. Last call, hit, fish on! I grab the rod, the fish starts ripping line! I could have cried! But I managed to persuade the boys to give it a try and team up with him. Takes us 20 min or so with the full spinorama gongshow and so to land this 18# in the slop. I couldn't believe it! The only time I ever prayed for springs to bugger off and leave room for pinks! We came to the dock with 4 large springs when most had nothing or 1 or two lousy pinks. All way out there on small pink hootchie or pink mini Apex. Goes to show!

Last edited:
Englishman...think about the commercial troll fleet who fish offshore and catch most of their springs there. They can't fish the beach effectively as they need deeper water to get all their gear in the water and more room to maneuver. All that gear from top to bottom in deeper offshore water is their equalizer.
I understand that Rollie. That is why I kept emphasing Sooke Posts. I realise elsewhere it is different and out on the west coast chinook use the "highway" etc etc. I was just talking about JDF off Sooke. Don't see commercial trollers out there going back and forth during openings!!

I remember 2 years ago during the Pink Salmon Festival when it was held the 3rd week in August I took out two young kids and their dad. The pinks unfortunately had come super early that year and by the end of August there were barely any around anymore. We were cruising all over the open strait to find a few pink stragglers for those kids. Finally one rod goes off and I set the hook and as I was passing the rod to this super excited 6 year old boys the fish starts ripping line like crazy. Oh oh, I say, you got yourself a good spring! The boy gets his knuckles busted badly and runs crying into the cuddy and wants nothing to do with this fish. His 8 year old daughter finishes the fight and lands a nice spring in the high teens. Strange I thought, pink hootchie in standard pink depth way out there in the middle of nowhere. Next bite maybe 20 min later, I grab the rod, line starts peeling... no way. Boy stayed in the cuddy, no way to lure him out and try the rod again. His sister lands another teener. I radio around again if someone in the fleet out there found a school of pinks. I got to get away from the springs! Victoriaboater found a couple pinks over 600' of water. We boot out there in the slop, lines down, fish on! Nice - I talk the boy into coming out the cuddy while holding the rod - only a few tugs until then. The boy was almost at the rod when the rod doubles over, another spring! This one pushing 20#. The girl wins another battle. I can't believe it. Then nothing. No pinks. Time almost up, I hear some pinks are caught in 400' off the head. What the heck, lets give it 15 min there. Lines down, hit, a large wild coho that the dad brought to the boat. Now the boy gets jealous that everyone landed a fish except for him. Last call, hit, fish on! I grab the rod, the fish starts ripping line! I could have cried! But I managed to persuade the boys to give it a try and team up with him. Takes us 20 min or so with the full spinorama gongshow and so to land this 18# in the slop. I couldn't believe it! The only time I ever prayed for springs to bugger off and leave room for pinks! We came to the dock with 4 large springs when most had nothing or 1 or two lousy pinks. All way out there on small pink hootchie or pink mini Apex. Goes to show!
Chris that is truly an amazing story. I just don't remember you ever posting catching 4 chinooks in one day out in 500' of water at the time. Maybe my aging memory is just failing!?;)
Anyway, that was very cool for you and the kids and maybe late summer IS the time to leave the shallows and go looking for Chinook out there in JDF after all. You, Jama, and Prettyboyfloyd have demonstrated that methinks!:)

Chris that is truly an amazing story. I just don't remember you ever posting catching 4 chinooks in one day out in 500' of water at the time. Maybe my aging memory is just failing!?;)
Anyway, that was very cool for you and the kids and maybe late summer IS the time to leave the shallows and go looking for Chinook out there in JDF after all. You, Jama, and Prettyboyfloyd have demonstrated that methinks!:)
Saturday morn after a couple hours at the trap with no spring action decide to change chovys to lures and headed out deep to find some coho. 330' out at coho speed on ap spoon bam thats not a coho. 13 white

Back