2017 Sidney Reports

Twas the night before derby, you could hear not a lark
Except RogersonCrusoe, searching for spark.
On his rebuilt outboard, the hammers did ring. The wrenches torque hard and the grinder does zing.
His Bait, in the freezer, shall ne'er see the brine. Until the boat purrs, not coughs, sputs or whines.

Very poetic, RC! Terribly sad, but poetic! Hope you get her patched up and functional soon.

Just got back from the derby dinner... I left early because Ive been up since 3:30. Winning fish was 23 lbs, and a handful of other fish in the 20s were weighed in. Somewhere around 70 fish weighed in in total if I heard correctly! As always it was a great time, good weather and decent fishing as well. The food was quite good on both nights too. Our boat ended up in 21st place with a 12.8lb hatch, caught at Coal Island on a coho killer. We also released 3 fish between 8 and 10 lbs, and lost a couple more that were probably similar in size. As I already mentioned I left early, so I dont have a dollar figure in terms of what was raised for salmon enhancement, but Im sure it was another impressive total. Maybe Brian or somebody will pop by with an update when its all said and done, and if not Ill find out at the next SAA meeting.

As for the fish reports I posted over the past week or so that were lacking details - the 19# fish was caught at Fairfax Point on a coho killer at 70 feet in about 130 feet of water, and the 17# was caught at Coal Island on a coho killer right on the bottom in about 130 feet of water.

Almost forgot to thank the countless volunteers that work tirelessly behind the scenes organizing sponsors, prizes, posters, food & drink, setting up the venue, weigh-station volunteers, presenters, etc, and of course the sponsors and donors! There are so many good people involved in this derby and it simply couldnt be done without them! Hope I didnt forget anybody!

And now that thats taken care of, Im going to bed!

Last edited:
Well those fish stayed around for the Derby. Biggest was 23.1 caught by Carol Holman from Friday Harbour. These American ladies can fish because Claire Hanson from Bellevue Washington, she took 3rd with a 21.3. Second was caught by the derby winner from 2015 Len Rasile 22.6.

We had 81 fish weighed in. Once we catch our breath we will have a total raised for Salmon Enhancement projects.

Thank you to those who supported the Derby. A special thank you to all the volunteers that worked to pull it off. Without them we would not be able to raise the funds for projects.

Go to our website and see our great sponsors and support their businesses.
https://www.sidneyanglers.ca/

Well done Sidney Anglers. Another great derby but nothing for me this year. Had my chances but no love.. Heard the winner came from Sidney Channel but not confirmed ?? Next up Port Sidney Derby !!

Mixed feelings from last night.

Finally got the boat in the water with the new/rebuilt motor! I only had an hour and a half before sunset, but didn't care. I needed to fish.

She didn't idle happily, but some carb cleaner helped. The zinc fin was misaligned so a lot of strength was required to keep her straight at speed. Still, I was heading to the Spit and was ready to fish.

There was no wind, a gorgeous sunset and some porpoises. But in the hour I was fishing, there were no fish. Didn't care. I was fishing.

On the way home, I lost spark just before getting onto plane. It was dark when the kicker got us back to the ramp.

Mixed feelings from last night.

Finally got the boat in the water with the new/rebuilt motor! I only had an hour and a half before sunset, but didn't care. I needed to fish.

She didn't idle happily, but some carb cleaner helped. The zinc fin was misaligned so a lot of strength was required to keep her straight at speed. Still, I was heading to the Spit and was ready to fish.

There was no wind, a gorgeous sunset and some porpoises. But in the hour I was fishing, there were no fish. Didn't care. I was fishing.

On the way home, I lost spark just before getting onto plane. It was dark when the kicker got us back to the ramp.
It will take a couple of trips to get the bugs worked out on a rebuild. I'm sure you will have it well in hand soon!

IMG_1856.JPG
Great night in Sidney channel last night, we played 8 fish in a matter of 2.5 hrs. Was out with my 5 year old daughter and a buddy, high slack! Went 3 for 8, and had to contend with some seals, but it was a total blast. Feels fishy this year! 15, 9, 8lbs.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the winning fish last Saturday. It came from Sidney Channel, 2nd from Powder wharf jigging, 3rd Sidney Spit, 4th Coal Island, and 5th Morseby. The fish seemed to have been all over except Sanichton Spit that had been the hotspot all week.

Attachments

• 20170506_125219.jpg
    20170506_125219.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 98
I have always wondered why Jigging at Powder Wharf was so effective, as well as why jigging in other locales isn't?
Beauty fishes though! Congrats to all.

A back eddy forms around the Powder Wharf and brings in all the bait. Look on your chart and you will see other areas where back eddies will form.
Sidney Spit is one and good for jigging.

Fished the afternoon change today. Released one fish in the 6-8 lb range at Coal, caught on a coho killer. Absolutely no bait showing at Fairfax so I only stayed there for one tack. Beautiful day out there!

Fished the afternoon in Sidney Channel and released 2 undersize.. There is some bait there. Then moved to Powder Wharf for a couple of tacks but nada..

Piles of marks and Bait at powder wharf this evening. Though the salad bar was wide open, and a wandering driver made it challenging to fish.

Had the biggest hit of the year, pin pop, but it was gone before hands got onto rod.

Was out today for a few hours for the high slack. No fish at all (2nd skunk this year I believe) but I did find some floating rope as I pulled up to Fairfax. The rope had a clean cut so I assume somebody wrapped it around their prop and had to cut it. I hauled it in by hand and found 2 prawn traps and a cinder block on the end. Both traps had small crabs and bullheads in them, so they hadnt been there that long. For anyone prawning out there, make sure you use sinking rope, or at least clip on weights to the rope so it sinks. Youll lose a lot less gear this way.

If anybody can precisely describe the gear that I found, you can have it back - minus the cinder block, which I left out there.

Was out twice this week. First night at the Powder wharf. Put in a couple of hours jigging with no luck but lots of bait around. Last night hit Saanichton and landed a nice teenager on a anchovy. Lots of bait and birds around for now ?

Got skunked today for my couple hour venture was nothing on the screen not even a shaker for me first time I think for me without even a nibble this year.... maybe it's getting to that lull period before it turns on again. saw u out there today advtjnx I was the one who hooked up both my riggers on the reef.... managed to get them both back thank the fish gods....

Was that the red/white boat at Coal, Brett? Gotta be careful over where you were doing circles, thats the worst reef to hang up on at Coal. Probably 2,000 lbs of lead under there!

Was that the red/white boat at Coal, Brett? Gotta be careful over where you were doing circles, thats the worst reef to hang up on at Coal. Probably 2,000 lbs of lead under there!
No I'm the hourston with blue top and stipes but yes i know of it and it still got me

Back