2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

The snow has cleared and everyone has the fish bug ...

Just imagine if it weren't raining and there were no SE wind forecast...probably would have been another half dozen where I was...not to mention 2-3 dozen in the other spots! There more the merrier....not.

Wow so your saying nobody should be fishing but you!! I was fishing the other day with lots of boats no bait to see all day got 2 keepers though!!the ocean is big but not that big and we all gotta share it!

So sick of people thinking they own the ocean or certain spots. Get over it. If you don't like the amount of boats in a spot, it's simple , Start your engine and go find another spot or just stay home.

Fair enough.

Wow so your saying nobody should be fishing but you!! I was fishing the other day with lots of boats no bait to see all day got 2 keepers though!!the ocean is big but not that big and we all gotta share it!

No. I didn't make that comment but if that's what you took from that...carry on.

30+ boats fishing off of Victoria the other day fishing in a squar kilometre.
When you consider how easy it is to get to howesound or van harbour a couple dozen boats is nothing. Add in the fact that there was almost no river fishing in the area that was open this year and people are hungry.
Then u factor in that the winter fishery is going better for some the last summer it's not surprising.

In my eyes the ocean fishery we got is the last civil place to fish in the lower main land.

Glad to have u all posting here

Last edited:
The internet just makes it really easy to key in on spots where the fish are holding. Quite often boat traffic can have an effect on fishing....Long gone are the days of working spots and searching for the fish. It wasn't that many years ago that certain Howe Sound spots were vacant except for a select few that fished them. Social media has significantly reduced the amount of searching people have to do to catch fish everywhere these days. I tend to run the opposite way of crowds and have no problem putting 300 miles one way on the boat to get away from the them. I did use to like fishing Defense with minimal traffic......

I started learning the ropes combat fishing in Alberni Inlet almost 30 years ago. Back then the fishing was unbelievable and so were the crowds. You could hit the water at 6 am and it was a city of lights on the chuck. Literally more boats than you could count. During busy times you were lucky if you had 20 feet between boats. You were almost scraping rod tips it was so crowded with boats in the morning. After fishing those conditions for several weeks to a month every summer nothing around Vancouver seems crowded. It's all a matter of perspective. It could be far worse.

I started learning the ropes combat fishing in Alberni Inlet almost 30 years ago. Back then the fishing was unbelievable and so were the crowds. You could hit the water at 6 am and it was a city of lights on the chuck. Literally more boats than you could count. During busy times you were lucky if you had 20 feet between boats. You were almost scraping rod tips it was so crowded with boats in the morning. After fishing those conditions for several weeks to a month every summer nothing around Vancouver seems crowded. It's all a matter of perspective. It could be far worse.

So many boats in campbell river in 86 that the 2 storke and desel fuel clouds in the sky burned your eyes while trolling.

This site keeps us tuned in to whats happening live and up to date and it's a RUSH !! :) ... it sure has been busy on the forum this winter that's
for sure.. that's great ! , we all just want a kick at the can , most of the die hard's will stick around and some will find out it's maybe to much work ...
Life's too short already we should all enjoy it .. :);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O even with all the different faces on here ...

Tight lines for the 2017 fishing

Caught a lot of fresh air but nothing else to keep this morning. Fished the Cap area for 1 1/2 hours on the flood this a.m. and had one nice fish on that took a couple runs before spitting the hook. Then trolled to the QB marker and out to the freighters and released a couple undersized and didn't see a lot of bait. Called it a day and went back to the dock to tune up the downriggers and re-installed a rod holder. Had the Scotty downrigger boom mount for a rod holder break last Monday and Scotty had the replacement part to my office a couple days later. Feels like a broken record comment but it needs to be said ... awesome warranty support and customer service.
I broke the depth counter on the weekend and Tuesday morning the new part was at my door

With all the action I'm seeing here for this time of year, I'm starting to get the itch. Got the boat in its house all winterized and dry. But I'm thinking to pull it out soon if there's a little action around and the snow n'cold is done. Water's usually calmer in the spring for trips across to the Gulf's?

Fished Tunstall from around 10:30-2 Wednesday. Marked quite a bit of bait throughout the day but only managed to release 3 unders.(Most on homeland security.) Certainly wasn't a great haul of prawns but 6 nice keeper dungy's made up for it. Beautiful day out there!

Hit HITW on Wednesday ~11, we didn't see another boat and I wondered if I was just the one that didn't get the memo that it's dead there now? Soaked the prawn and crab traps for just a couple of hours and ended up with a good 70 prawn and 4 crab. Left the prawn traps out overnight and picked them up Thursday to pots full - always nice to see those buoys in the slight chop.

Hit HITW on Wednesday ~11, we didn't see another boat and I wondered if I was just the one that didn't get the memo that it's dead there now? Soaked the prawn and crab traps for just a couple of hours and ended up with a good 70 prawn and 4 crab. Left the prawn traps out overnight and picked them up Thursday to pots full - always nice to see those buoys in the slight chop.

I'm gonna fish HITW with the kids 4 til dusk this aft. Fly by and say hi if you're in the hood. Will also fish 10-noon tomorrow same area.

Back