2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

looks like they make that one still
Ya they still make it. Like a lot of other less well known hoochies, finding it in a store is another matter. Perhaps Berry's still stocks it. They used to really recommend it in the past and usually had it in stock. It's kind of a forgotten pattern that rarely ever gets mentioned these days. Since Nikka closed it's hard to find the majority of the Yamashita hoochies in local stores.

Edit: I checked the Berry's Bait website. They still sell the O83R hoochie for those interested in trying it out.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant to post this on the flasher thread.

Here's a pic of how I've modified some of my old Flashers. This one started life a red Luhr Jensen Silver Eagle flasher with silver tape. I can tell the brand by the corkscrew connector on the back end. I used to really like the Luhr Jensen Flashers. They used to be quite reasonably priced when they had their own CDN distribution warehouse on Powell St in Vancouver. Their Flashers are pretty pricey now a days though.

Last edited:
Just some thoughts from my past experiences at this time of year. That said, they are where you find them on any given day. Good luck out there, and thanks for the reports guys.
Good thoughts indeed. The year feels a little different for me and I will be changing the gear a little earlier on this side. The fish are well fed on this side of the strait for this time of year, given all of the bait, but not so much on the other side of the strait. I took a run over over to the other side for a quick fish last Saturday and there was a lot of activity on pretty much everything we threw down ... not so much over here. The fish are moving around over here and have been eating well. All good ... as they say, its fishing and not catching and the fun is in the pursuit.

I haven't been out in a long time, so this is purely speculation from from when I fished in the winter far more. Come March I used to work the Bell Buoy and even out to the QA far more than the Harbour. I always had consistent luck on the Yamashita O83R (purple people eater) hoochy with a purple flasher off the north arm at this time of year. That is also a great west coast hoochy. I imagine you'd have a hard time finding that hoochy these days. Berrys Bait used to always recommend and sell that hoochy in the past. Always worked great off the North Arm in March and April. There is a needle fish pattern in the same colour that works well too by another hoochy manufacturer, but the needlefish version is even harder to find (very popular in Barkley in the past). Just some thoughts from my past experiences at this time of year. That said, they are where you find them on any given day. Good luck out there, and thanks for the reports guys.

The cuttle fish version outside Polier Pass march April a go to.. :)

Fished Bell this morning in the sleet. Nasty wind, whitecaps and sleet made for a tough fish. Got one good hit that didn't stick - hootchie near bottom in 120ft of water. Kind of regretted heading out in those conditions, but 1st thing it wasn't bad. Got nasty about 10.30.

Your very brave going out in all those conditions ,haven't done snow yet local .. thanks for the bell report gonna start playing around there ..

Fished Bell this morning in the sleet. Nasty wind, whitecaps and sleet made for a tough fish. Got one good hit that didn't stick - hootchie near bottom in 120ft of water. Kind of regretted heading out in those conditions, but 1st thing it wasn't bad. Got nasty about 10.30.
Yea, thanks for the post, I've been wondering what it was actually like out there these days. Good on ya for gettin' out there!

Howe Sound has been cranking out some excellent numbers when the areas aren't crowded with boats. Go west...go north....

I was out today with my buddy fishing Bell Buoy/mile markers. One just under and 3 shakers. Lots of bait marked and even saw an eagle pick a herring off the surface.

I was out today with my buddy fishing Bell Buoy/mile markers. One just under and 3 shakers. Lots of bait marked and even saw an eagle pick a herring off the surface.

That's why the guides are headed elsewhere. There was a flash in the pan 10 days ago...the fish moved and they found them in Howe Sound.

I've read in FC and Nanaimo report of people fishing for herring and prep for bait.
Anyone does the same thing here in Howe Sound?
Thank you

That's why the guides are headed elsewhere. There was a flash in the pan 10 days ago...the fish moved and they found them in Howe Sound.
Winter weather often sucks, and a lot of the guys who aren't charters don't have larger fully enclosed boats with heaters. So unless it's a perfect day most guys stick close to home. For sure Howe Sound is the best bet to get decent springs during the winter. It's just a ways for the average guy to go unless the water is like glass and you get an early start. I think most guys know Tunstall or other locations in the Sound are the odds on favorites, but often a short close fish around Vancouver fits the bill better. Thanks for the hot tips FM, hopefully I'll get the boat going and get out there myself soon.

Monday a guide did very well at the mile markers but ya I was messaging with one guide today who was into some good action up Howe Sound. We were marking lots of bait and fish today but it seemed like there was more action before the tide change as opposed to during and after.....maybe a morning bite?

Fish are always moving so pick your poison, I know this time of year I have done well from the mile marker to the bell and also in the Howe Sound area ,one thing about guides is they stick together and tell all to each other and nothing more this is why they catch more.

Fish are always moving so pick your poison, I know this time of year I have done well from the mile marker to the bell and also in the Howe Sound area ,one thing about guides is they stick together and tell all to each other and nothing more this is why they catch more.
Lots of great guides out there willing to give you information especially if you take the time to ask but also if you share information with them if you're on the water, it's great when it goes both ways

Yes some guides are very generous that way. To suggest the only reason guides do better is because of sharing the locations fish are at is pretty simplistic. That is obviously a huge advantage, but their high level of skill at their trade is what puts fish on the line. Good guides will fish circles around the average guy on the water. The best guides command high prices and are booked up long in advance for good reason.

Ohh ya few of my buddys are guides and sometimes are helpful lol I tell them and everyone all my info nothing to hide here also,i take my employee's on guided trips also this has taught me a lot over the years.

Back