2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

In the upcoming months I plan to make my first crossing to thrasher, and when I do, I plan on trying for my first ling. Can anyone provide me with any tips? Like How deep, what gear/bait etc?

Btw - spent yesterday morning at the lumpy hump for one single undersize right at the tide change 66 feet on anchovies and then nothing the rest of the day. Tried QA, West Van, Cap mouth and Bell too.

Salmon Rock, Paisley Group and Worlecomb yesterday. Had a 3 boat derby. Almost 10 hours on the water and not a lot of action. Among all 3 boats - only one keeper and 3 unders and a couple strikes. Anchovies in chartruese head, homeland security spoon and army truck spoon.
IMG-20170611-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170611-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170611-WA0005.jpg

Here is the amazingly huge Derby winner. And No I am NOT holding that fish as close to camera as possible to make fish look bigger. And Yes my hands really are that HUGE.
IMG-20170611-WA0001.jpg

Fishing was not the greatest, but scenery, weather and camaraderie was second to none.

Last edited:
Was at polier and then thrasher. 1 keeper, 1 just short, 6- really short. Green white hoochie, cotton candy hoochie glow.

In the upcoming months I plan to make my first crossing to thrasher, and when I do, I plan on trying for my first ling. Can anyone provide me with any tips? Like How deep, what

I personally like using large Herring and 9-O hooks on a spreader bar. I've had the most success in very shallow water. One thing to watch out for is the current around Thrasher. Fish at slack to help avoid snagging while drifting, or just learn to drift into deeper water rather than shallower. Sometimes I'll run my kicker in reverse and back down on the wind or current but it's noisy and annoying. Good luck!

In the upcoming months I plan to make my first crossing to thrasher, and when I do, I plan on trying for my first ling. Can anyone provide me with any tips? Like How deep, what gear/bait etc?

Btw - spent yesterday morning at the lumpy hump for one single undersize right at the tide change 66 feet on anchovies and then nothing the rest of the day. Tried QA, West Van, Cap mouth and Bell too.

By far most effective way is to catch a livewell of flounder or a few smaller ( under 2lb) rockfish and fish them with a big single through the lip and a large treble trailer. Fish in 45 - 25 feet of water , when you get hit let them eat for 10 - 15 seconds. Hasn't failed me once over there , they get inhaled almost instantly when fishing the right structure.

By far most effective way is to catch a livewell of flounder or a few smaller ( under 2lb) rockfish and fish them with a big single through the lip and a large treble trailer. Fish in 45 - 25 feet of water , when you get hit let them eat for 10 - 15 seconds. Hasn't failed me once over there , they get inhaled almost instantly when fishing the right structure.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure using live rockfish as bait is illegal??

Report: Thrasher for 10hr yesterday. Got our limit of ling and one hatch coho. No Chinook after a long day of trolling is great weather!

Last edited:
Best bait for Lingcod is either a live shiner or herring!

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1011/ProvincialRegulations_page9.pdf

"It's unlawful to...

Have any live fish in your possession in the wild, or move any live fish or live aquatic invertebrates around the province or transplant them into any waters of B.C. Do not keep angled fish alive in a “livewell” or other device, or on stringers, and never use live fish as bait or release your aquarium fish to the wild. “High-grading” is illegal."

I thought it was still ok to use live herring... but by reading that I would say not. Interesting.

Also of all the fish to choose to use as bait... baby rockfish is the worst. There is good reason for RCAs.

Last edited:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1011/ProvincialRegulations_page9.pdf

"It's unlawful to...

Have any live fish in your possession in the wild, or move any live fish or live aquatic invertebrates around the province or transplant them into any waters of B.C. Do not keep angled fish alive in a “livewell” or other device, or on stringers, and never use live fish as bait or release your aquarium fish to the wild. “High-grading” is illegal."

I thought it was still ok to use live herring... but by reading that I would say not. Interesting.

Also of all the fish to choose to use as bait... baby rockfish is the worst. There is good reason for RCAs.

Agreed about rockfish- horrible idea but I think you just linked to fresh water regs

what's the difference between keeping you're quota of fish for bait? Jigging and fishing herring have a **** load more by catch and is way more harmful on small rockfish populations. Do some thinking

what's the difference between keeping you're quota of fish for bait? Jigging and fishing herring have a **** load more by catch and is way more harmful on small rockfish populations. Do some thinking

This is a debate for its own thread but I think the regs need to define "waste".

Use of fish for bait
When sport fishing, you may not waste any fish suitable for human consumption.

There are fish are....where you find them...and yes, there are still a few Chinook around....and ahem..other species.... ;)

People need to stop relying on Social Media Posts like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Guide Reports, Tackle Shop Reports and get their arse on the water and catch their own fish instead of finding what grouping of fish the guides have been hammering and then fishing the f&ck out them. Sorry to say but that's what local fishing has become.

Group think...

Back