2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I ground out a shift around south Bowen from 630-1:30. One undersized off Cowan and missed a pin popper 9am off worlcome. Looked very quiet. No nets. Covered 50-110.

Sounds like a bit of a slow start to the Silva Bay derby as well.
Pulled another nice ling off the reefs and didn t stick around.

Fished thrasher from 8am-1pm yesterday. 1 under, 1 keeper in 500' of water. Both on a 20 year old spoon. Also brought home a respectable size ling. Reports from boats passing were things were generally very slow.

The am crossing from howe sound was marginal. The run back was better. The blow was northerly all day long as can be expected.

The anchovies in the chinook's belly all measured out to 6".

Goodluck out there!

It looked like someone was jigging in tunstall bay yesterday. Can anyone else confirm? There was about 20 boats out. Anyway, DFO checked us when we were pulling our prawn traps and asked if they saw anyone jigging but I didn't know the name of the boat.

We got about 50 prawns yesterday and 5 crab. Much better than I expected to do after the commie guys just finished. Or maybe it was my new bait concoction that was the ticket!

It looked like someone was jigging in tunstall bay yesterday. Can anyone else confirm? There was about 20 boats out. Anyway, DFO checked us when we were pulling our prawn traps and asked if they saw anyone jigging but I didn't know the name of the boat.

We got about 50 prawns yesterday and 5 crab. Much better than I expected to do after the commie guys just finished. Or maybe it was my new bait concoction that was the ticket!

I guess we have to assume flounder or even jigging/mooching for Salmon. We can't assume they are retaining Rockfish

I guess we have to assume flounder or even jigging/mooching for Salmon. We can't assume they are retaining Rockfish

They're out because of ORR.

If it bites and makes it to the boat...it's dead.

I've watched these guys for YEARS....there are 3 big boats which do this regularly and approximately 3-4 smaller trailerable boAts as well.

I may not get out on the water 75-120 days a year anymore but in speaking with my buddies who are...these guys are still at it.

They just play the odds that no one is out checking because most days...they are not.

I've watched these guys for YEARS....there are 3 big boats which do this regularly and approximately 3-4 smaller trailerable boAts as well.

I may not get out on the water 75-120 days a year anymore but in speaking with my buddies who are...these guys are still at it.

They just play the odds that no one is out checking because most days...they are not.

The CO that I spoke to didn't know where tunstall was.... they definitely don't get out enough haha. He was a young guy though. Might be new

I saw DFO on the agemmon for over 30 minutes yesterday. They specifically targeted them and ignored the rest of us, which was nice to see.
As for Tunstall I haven't seen any of those jigging boats over there in the last two years but I may have missed them. All I've seen is the gypsy Drifter trying to steal prawn gear

Last edited:
Slow for me at RC, 2 unders but didn't get out till just after noon. Crabbing made up for it though, kept our 12 and were throwing back legals between 2 traps. Going to be a tasty fam dinner tonight.

Last edited:
Total of 5 hooked, 2 under and lost one at RC. Hit 2 right at 2 pm on a massive bait ball. One at 56 on the homeland security and the rest at 76 on the kitchen sink skinny g. Also using Mike's lunker lotion in herring flavour on everything, not sure if it made a difference though lol.

IMG_20170618_155103_018.jpg

Last edited:
Back