2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

I have never seen a white turd..... The color brown does come mind.
its translucent glow white patches, not sure they are called white turds (that would probably be reason to visit the doc). if i had the patience to paste a picture on this browser i would but think you get it. this was the ticket up at the top of the island in deep water. 200-225 on the riggers. i also found the hoochie size in this pattern and they worked in the vancouver waters...but only when i run out of bait.

its translucent glow white patches, not sure they are called white turds (that would probably be reason to visit the doc). if i had the patience to paste a picture on this browser i would but think you get it. this was the ticket up at the top of the island in deep water. 200-225 on the riggers. i also found the hoochie size in this pattern and they worked in the vancouver waters...but only when i run out of bait.
There is a picture of a white one on post 370 of this thread...

just a little tip on the turd too....get a blue flashing light and insert it in the hoochie....we fished one with and one without...the light was 2:1. we called it blinky. i found the blue light from the tackle shop in port coquitlam. Berry's might have them too but has to be a blue light we found (they make white, red, green, blue). I couldn't figure this out until i watched a geographic show where they netted squid at night and damn be if they didn't blink blue...match the hatch.

Lighthouse lures is where to get all the good LED lights and probably the large squid hoochy. I have a lot of them from Pirates Den and they are a great go to for just about anything!!

I have been using these for 3-4 years with the LED lights. White, brown, green splatterback, Cop car and a couple of ohers. Bottom fish love them and it's a hit and miss with salmon. Sometimes good and others nothing.

I use them first light and dusk but during the day I use plain hoochies.

Cheers, Rob.

Fished a group of 12 out of NSR for a buddy of mine this week. It was calm seas so out to the Whales Tail our first day. Once I found the bait and was no where near all the other sheep we started nailing fish. The bait was 50 feet thick at times and big herring so the 6 inch Tubby was on the line. We caught 20 fish in a couple hours and kept the ones 20# and bigger.

I can't believe the amount of fish stacked up North and the bait.

The next day was a salmon in the am and then bottom fish in the afternoon. As you can see we all had a great day fishing.

More and more fish are showing up inside so the makes it easier for lots of people the don't like offshore.

I see we have lots of wing Monday and Tuesday coming our way.

Pics to follow.

dock of death there nice ones, 11 more days. did you move up to the hole or down? or were you just out there, lol

Finally have the time to get to Nootka. Will be at Tuda from the 27th - 31. I can't wait! First trip to Nootka this year and should be able to get back a couple more times.

Went up to Nootka Sound last week, fished July 17 to 21. Monday, nice weather, fished 3 Bay Cove, Coopte, nothing. Evening bite at MacQuinna and lower Beano, seas were kind of rough, not much action. Tuesday, weather was great, seas were calm, have never fished Beano so I thought we'd go there. Used 5 1/2 inch anchovy, action spotty, but there was a lot of bait around so we continued to use anchovy, caught a 10 lb Chinook, lost another one. Went back for the evening bite, seas were calm, trolled anchovy, more successful, landed 5 Chinook, largest was a 19#'er. Wed weather was ideal, went back to Beano, not as much bait around, trolling anchovy, lot of people catching fish except us. One boat was using large white hootchie was the hot boat. Zero for the morning bite (just could not get away from the "hot" boat). Went looking for hali, a small one caught and released (not a chicken but a chick). Went back to Beano for evening bite, tried anchovy on one side, white hootchie the other, anchovy got more action, ended up with 5 Chinooks, largest was a 28#, only anchovy caught fish. Thursday morning was spotty, only one Chinook caught. Went back to Beano for evening bite, 5/10 hook-ups, most were late teenagers, largest 19#. Rained Thursday nite, Friday weather took a turn for the worst, went to 3 Bay Cove, a few take downs, none stayed stuck. At Beano, we trolled anchovy at 20 - 24 ft on the wire in about 50-65 ft water, going at about 2.4 knots. Stomach contents include 3-4 inch squid, small anchovy, 1-2 inch small herring? Had friends who went out to the Red Can and the highway, no success for them out there.

I am heading up to Moutcha this week and am thinking about trailering my boat up the gravel road.

Running a new 18 foot welded silver streak
And a 4x4

Any thoughts?

Just got back from fishing Esperanza Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The 20th to 22nd.

Thursday the weather looked great so was thinking the place to be was offshore. Had heard fishing had been decent at Rosa so on the way out we decided to stop and make a pass there. Drop in and immediately hook up on a decent fish. We play it for a few and it shakes the hook. Second pass we hook up again and get a teen fish in the boat. Few more passes and nothing so we decide to move on. Two weeks prior we had gotten into fish on the backside of Catella so we plan on stopping there next. Guess the plan of heading offshore is going to wait. Round the corner of Catella and damn there are 25 boats fishing there. Guess it is the place to be. We start a ways off from the group and get out poles in the water. Get a fish on just as the second pole gets put in the water. Play the fish for a bit and it shakes the hook. Oh well, we put the poles back in and go through to same spot. Fish on again and again I loose a second fish. Now I am getting frustrated. Poles in a third time and hit the same spot and again hook up. Whew at least another fish on...then the leader breaks. Now I am upset. New leader on then another pass same spot and #4 fish on...and it shakes the hook. Then #5 and loose it and then #6 and then finally #7 makes it into the boat. 7 fish hooked in the same spot on the same pole in less an hour and I only got one in the boat.

After the bite died we trolled around a bit and then found another pocket of fish. Again we had low success and went 2 for 8.

Total for the day was 17 fish hooked and played with only 4 making it into the boat. Several broken 25# test leaders and just lots of unexplained lost fish. All the fish were hooked on anchovies and flashers except the first one of the day was in a spoon.

Friday- went back to Catella island and had similar fishing in that we hooked up right away and went 3 for 8 with the biggest being 24#s. Stopped at Rosa while heading in and hooked up right away with a fish. Got it to the boat and it looked like it had been mauled by a seal or something as one gill plate was all chewed up looking along with its tail. We let "Lucky" go to live another day. Then we hooked up and got our 4th chinook for the day and headed in.

Saturday- Did something I have never done during peak fishing time at Nootka in the ten years I have been going up...took the day to go sightseeing. My 6 year old daughter had put two great days of getting up at 4am to going fishing and spent long days fishing. We decided to go to Friendly Cove and sightsee as well as go to Critter Cove for lunch. Of course after all that we did make a few passes at Coopte Point. We got a silver which the daughter caught her first fish on an Islander and a 27" chinook in an hour there but it sounded like it had been slow there.

Attachments

• IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    348.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    495.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    374.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    550.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 149
I am heading up to Moutcha this week and am thinking about trailering my boat up the gravel road.

Running a new 18 foot welded silver streak
And a 4x4

Any thoughts?
Road sucks right now and is the worst I gave seen in the last 7 years. Lots of people towing to Moutcha though. Take it easy and slow.

Friday in Esperanza - 19# back side of centre island and 15# and 25# in Saltery. The big one was getting dark suggesting that it had been in the inlet for a while. purple haze t-head and irish cream coho killer at 44 feet. Saturday - double header 13# coho and 12# spring off rosa in deeper water. same gear. humpbacks in the inlet and the cut.

Back