hardy vs nootka

Hi all,

had been planning my first central coast trip this summer with a few friends. Idea HAD been to have 2 guys stay on the somewhat bare bones 27 ft tin boat, twin 175's, 2 guys go ashore in a tent. I think we're now deciding to scale back, go north of gold river WCVI, possibly with my buddies camping trailer in tow. Time frame is last 2 weeks of july. Scope is 5-10 days 50% fishing, 50% general exploring (10 ft inflatable tender on roof).

We're thinking Nootka sound, or Hardy area as we can cover the straight and Quatsino.

What would you do?

cheers!

I think nootka is awesome for fishing, but exploring for five days in that area might be a bit much. I would rent a cabin. It can pour with rain at any moment. But that's just me. Hardy I'm only guessing has more to explore but the fishing isn't quite as good as nootka. But I'm bias, as nootka is my favorite fishing destination. Bamfield is best of both worlds

Well, if your planning on Nootka there are lots of protected inside moorage spots. If you put up a tent just be mindful of bears and wolves depending where you are. Tahsis Inlet has some good areas to drop a tent in. Often thought of doing it on the East side just north of Coopte.

Reactions: 777
Been to Hardy then Quatsino 2020 then Nootka 2019 & 2018-early in the season fishing was fine in both places then it tanked Big Time-so cut your expectations way back for late July.

As to exploring Nootka was once a beautiful place but is a maze of nasty clearcuts now you're never out of sight of one it seems of course that applies to most of BC.

I've gone to hardy the last 2 weeks of July Three times. I found it a bit frustrating. Wont have issues getting lings or rockfish. Salmon can be frustrating.

The coast in Nootka from the light house all the way up to Esperanza is simply stunning. heaps of beaches to explore. Caves galore; some of which hold bones of FN and even Spanish conquistadors that didn’t make it from their original explorations.
Like someone said , beware of bears and wolves. place is thick with wolves which probably won’t attack you but they will jack your stuff around when you’re not around

salmon fishing in nootka can be insane one day and a ghost town the next day so keep that mind

The salmon fishing in Nootka is usually better then at Hardy. Only thing about the west coast that I don't like is warm water algae blooms which wreck any salmon fishing. Had a trip 2 years ago to Winter Harbour, before that a trip out of Gold River and before that a trip to Ucluelet wrecked by this. Seems to happen much less on the inside of the island. Hard thing is you book 6 months in advance and you have no way of knowing what the water temps will be in the summer off the west coast. It is a PITA that these algae blooms are becoming more frequent with climate change!

I fish Port Hardy and Winter Harbour in June and luckily have never been skunked in 10 plus years for springs, Hali and cod. But for springs you have to head up past Cape Sutil to keep one At that time of the year. I also fish Nootka the 3rd week of July and it can be off and on but there are lots of choices and places to find fish there and the scenery is awesome. Clearcuts don’t bother me as I’m a Forester and make my living from the working forest.

Fishing for salmon was quite tough the last two years in Nootka in early August at least. Heard July was a bit better. We were there around the commercial opening and lots of fish inside but they were tough to get on the hook. We put in some long days to get our eight springs. We had good luck in Winter Harbour and Kyuquot two years ago - last year the weather and fishing was horrible in August. We are headed to Hardy in early August this year for a change.

I love Hardy myself. The most scenic place I have fished. I never been to Nootka. I find Hardy is like Sooke. You have to put your time in, and learn the area.

If you want chase boat to Sutil every day you can. That just isn't for me. I like fishing there closer in myself.

Best fishing for me a few years back was 10 min from boat ramp.

In terms of camping I've seen beautiful spots on the mainland side across from Hardy some of those inlets are rarely visited.
What is the fishing like end of July on the mainland side of Hardy, say bremner point south to the broughtons. Any known hot spots. Considering a fishing/ exploring trip that way as well.

For Salmon it's hit 'n miss-Castle Rock is famous for that-bottomfish is excellent all kinds of variety.

Agree. From Tahsis you can fish Nootka, Esperanza and up to Grassy south of Kyuquot.
Seems like the last couple of years the fishing in early August has been more consistent compared to Nootka. The fish were definitely there in Nootka but picky biters (gillnet opening last summer they took 10,000 fish in a single night).

What is the fishing like end of July on the mainland side of Hardy, say bremner point south to the broughtons. Any known hot spots. Considering a fishing/ exploring trip that way as well.
'Hotspots' maybe not, but Jeannette Point and the areas off the islands and reefs can produce when they're running...

Locals swear by James Point inside the mouth of Wells Passage. I've had lots of nice coho 8 to 12 lbs in July and August, a few springs up to 30 lbs, and a few halibut up to 70 lbs [when that was ok]. Sometimes good fishing inside the Broughtons, but its all down to timing there. Malcolm Island has good fishing - Malcolm Pt, Bere Pt, Lizard Pt.

Back