2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Don't see on your website how you ship to Canada and cost-I would like to order some but I don't like the hassle with UPS --USPS is ok
We ship for free to Canada by USPS for orders over USD $100. Otherwise a flat $10 rate for shipping USPS.

It's crazy how somehow it costs more to ship to BC (95 miles up the road) than it does to Alaska or Florida. Government business at its best.

Howard

thanks Wondermur.

We have increased our glow threads by 50% since we bought the company. If you run out while in Nootka, Critter Cove is carrying most of our product line. I'll be up there July 17-21.
I will be at Critter Cove on the 20th Howard. How do I find you, I want to try some.

Saanauk
No I haven't tried these Olympic lures. They look like an option for trolling in the wash with the blade on the front.

I think the name grandslam bucktails misleads us BC folks a bit. It sounds like a coho fly and we want to catch springs! Plus bucktailing is often not very productive in my attempts.

What has worked great for me is a variation on bucktailing. I use my 9wt fly rod, flyreel and 70yds of 20lb mono over dacron backing. Then I take jetdiver a couple of 6 Bead swivels and thread that onto the main line so it can slip up and down the main line. Attach your end tackle with leader to main line and check it behind the boat. It digs down to 10-25 feet below the boat and zigs and zags about and coho will hit it if they are nearby. They don't have to come up to the surface to hit your gear. I often use coho killers for that. And if you stop the boat it all floats to the top as the jetdiver is full of air and only dives when you are moving like a plug would. You just point the rod directly at the water and adjust the drag tight enough to set the hook and put it in the rod holder. When the fish hits it hooks itself as there is tension on the line from the jet diver and no bend in the rod. The fish takes off and the jetdiver runs up the line and provides no drag when the fish runs.

This is a lot more effective than using sinking fly line and hookup % is way better imho.

If you only run two rods this is an easy third rod option. And if you have other boats nearby you can fish your gear just 20' behind the boat and maybe 8' below surface below the prop wash and not be the annoying guy in the fleet with a trailing line way behind your boat :)

Wondermur

Have you tried the Olympic Tackle lures?

http://olympictackle.com/salt-water.html

Not bad for a production fly. Would still just make my own. Would rather see single hook and metal body with tube to the hook. This way you can bury the knot inside the tube and long flies will not wrap around the hook if cast. Still nice flies, I like the willowleaf blade in front for flash.

They are not really intended to be used as a "fly" but to be used on a leader like hoochies behind a flasher. They glow like crazy when I have left them on my workbench in the shop. They are popular in the San Juan Island bachmouth fishery. I never thought to try them at Nootka but will be trying in a few weeks.

Bigdogg It was fairly ruff last few days so couldn't get out now the sw wind has left so Im hoping this will turn around in the next few days.The salmon fishing is a tough grind there are a lot of shaker and smaller fish,halibut has been good for me got a 69-62-55-45-32,so some very nice flattys co operated lol,raised the moral !!! there are fish on the inside camel and st carlos beer can bay has a few decent fish and there is piles of bait at every place Ive been salmon had 5 1/2 inch herring in the few I bonked.Going to go to esperanza tomorrow supposed to be some fish there...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Bigdogg It was fairly ruff last few days so couldn't get out now the sw wind has left so Im hoping this will turn around in the next few days.The salmon fishing is a tough grind there are a lot of shaker and smaller fish,halibut has been good for me got a 69-62-55-45-32,so some very nice flattys co operated lol,raised the moral !!! there are fish on the inside camel and st carlos beer can bay has a few decent fish and there is piles of bait at every place Ive been salmon had 5 1/2 inch herring in the few I bonked.Going to go to esperanza tomorrow supposed to be some fish there...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Thanks for the info Billydoo. Let me know how Esperanza is if you make it out there. I'm coming up this weekend. Thanks a lot bigdogg

Tried to poke our boat out around the lighthouse today, but it was far to rough for us with some newbies on board. Decided to fish san carlos down to beer can and was pleasantly rewarded. 2 for 4 with 10lb wild silver released. Managed a 9, and a 29 lb spring. Felt pretty lucky with that size fish on the inside this early. Using spoons 45 to 75 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_20170620_143422_380.jpg
    IMG_20170620_143422_380.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 139
Any substantive rumours or informed predictions on what will be open this year post July 15? Friendly to Beano being open was nice even though most of Bajo was closed last year. I felt that was not too bad of a compromise. Hopefully both aren't this year...

A friend of mine sits on the "round table "
He said ferrer will be closed and most likely will be same closures as last yr .
There trying to protect the Roberts creek run.

Any substantive rumours or informed predictions on what will be open this year post July 15? Friendly to Beano being open was nice even though most of Bajo was closed last year. I felt that was not too bad of a compromise. Hopefully both aren't this year...[/QUOTE

Any substantive rumours or informed predictions on what will be open this year post July 15? Friendly to Beano being open was nice even though most of Bajo was closed last year. I felt that was not too bad of a compromise. Hopefully both aren't this year...
A friend of mine sits on the "round table "
He said ferrer will be closed and most likely will be same closures as last yr .
There trying to protect the Roberts creek run.
Closing Ferrer was also to protect Clayoquot sound fish which are hurting

Tried to poke our boat out around the lighthouse today, but it was far to rough for us with some newbies on board. Decided to fish san carlos down to beer can and was pleasantly rewarded. 2 for 4 with 10lb wild silver released. Managed a 9, and a 29 lb spring. Felt pretty lucky with that size fish on the inside this early. Using spoons 45 to 75 feet.

Just a question/observation-you may release whatever you wish but I thought wild silvers/coho were OK inside or am I misreading the Notices??

Just a question/observation-you may release whatever you wish but I thought wild silvers/coho were OK inside or am I misreading the Notices??
I saw the notice yesterday and my interpretation is that coho, wild or hatchery, is OK to keep INSIDE. Outside, however, coho, wild or hatchery, has to be released.

I saw the notice yesterday and my interpretation is that coho, wild or hatchery, is OK to keep INSIDE. Outside, however, coho, wild or hatchery, has to be released.
Correction, I believe that outside, you can keep hatchery, release wild. I get so confused sometimes by the announcements though that you best check the web site youself.

I was an idiot cause, my mind was thinking area 125, when i knew we were in 25. My bad, wild or hatchery inside are legal to keep. My crew will not be happy knowing we let go 10 lbs of silver meat!

Tight lines
Billydoo
Give me a call bud this you dad (savy)

Back