2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Thnks guys for the intel. Greenhornet, im in a red 23 ft hewes hardtop. What kind of boat are you in? I might chew your ear for suggestions, while im there. I will be there 19th thru 22nd next week. One more question. I have bought charts for area, but is red can an obvious landmark. I have also read tens of times over the info spring fever supplied to salmon university. Thx again.
Actually it really is not a red can it is a lighted red moaning marker which denotes the outer corner of Bajo reef-so just look on your chart which shows outer Bajo reef--where the deep water contours start you can see what looks like a red fan in roughly 90 feet of water. Most guys just call it the red can but it is more than that.

Thanks for the help s.f. im new to this board, but have gleamed tons of info from your many valuable posts. Im from eastern wash, but have enjoyed great fishing in port hardy many times. Wanted to try nootka for many yrs, so upgraded boat this spring and planned a short trip.

has anybody opened any Chinook up to see what they are feeding on? Wondering if this is gonna be another baby rockfish year....

i'm camping at moucha and bringing my 15 foot freighter canoe with 5hp motor july 22-24...am i insane thinking i might get some salmon in the inlet this time of year or all they mostly all out at the lighthouse? any thoughts appreciated!

i'm camping at moucha and bringing my 15 foot freighter canoe with 5hp motor july 22-24...am i insane thinking i might get some salmon in the inlet this time of year or all they mostly all out at the lighthouse? any thoughts appreciated!

Back in the day..many many moons ago..I fished the inlet with a small 12ft lake boat with an 8hp..yes from cougar creek all the way to lighthouse one sept day..
They usually close the inlets to Thasis and GRiver around the 15 of July for a reason..so ya you'll be hitting springs all around inside...just look for the flotilla of sporties to see where the "hotspot" might be those days..just remember the wind comes up like clock work in late morning/early afternoon..use to be able to set your watch with it.

perfect! yes early morning will be a must !.....where is the line where you can and can't keep springs after july 15th? moucha bay will be off limits then?

thanks Spring Fever 552

Don't know about that area but I have done Poett Nook area in my 16ft square stern canoe and a manual downrigger. It took a day or two to find my spots but once I did it was daily limit. Bring a gaff and a net. Tons of fun and more than a few guys were checking me out putt putting around with a 2 hp. Didn't take any risks with weather or cross any big water, just stuck to hugging the shoreline and fished 40-65 ft in 120 depth.

So if its a baby rockfish year, what type and color of lure will be a good imitation?
It's a sh#tty day out and I can't get any weather on the WCVI side so the temptation is to say Rockfish coloured--but I can't be that cruel!! LOL Personally I might try a hootchy with a bit of yellow on the belly or back in the day we had one called a Harlequin-many coloured-don't know if they still sell that. Might also give a plug a shot again giving a bit of a lean to the yellow belly. While you are doing all this experimenting -because that is what it is; always keep a tried and true down such as a chovy ,or a white hoochy,ghost flash fly or whatever worked for you before. Last year the fish were running much deeper than usual because the water inside Nootka was as high as 69 degrees. Things to think on.

perfect! yes early morning will be a must !.....where is the line where you can and can't keep springs after july 15th? moucha bay will be off limits then?

thanks Spring Fever 552

Its not just "1" line..its inlets and bays..best check the DFO site as it could change from last yr
moucha bay is "usually"open but Head Bay is closed
in past yrs, later in aug, they have a kayak fishing derby in there for those fish that are staging in river mouth..heads up they call it "the tar pit" for a reasono_O

Do a search for " 2016 bait found in fish "
Gives you lots of pics of what the salmon were feeding on all up the coast last year

Here is my 2 cents on Grand Slam Bucktails ...they are AWESOME on springs. I have nothing to do with the gsb company fyi :)

I have used them for the previous 6 years in Nootka sound and anywhere else we fish. Think of them as a hoochie made of synthetic hair / Mylar. This is not a Bucktail as the name suggests.
RIGGING: You rig them exactly as you would a hoochie. The hooks are not attached to the fly as a traditional bucktail is. You rig your own leader just like a hoochie. Tandem hooks with 50lb leader and 39" from from nose of gsb to back of flasher works great this time of year. If you want to get fancy fillet a anchovy and cut the fillet into 1 1/2"strips put on front hook under the body of the bucktail for scent.
(Avoid using scents on the gsb, it gums up the hair)

If I could only use 2 setups inside Nootka sound one would be an anchovie setup and the other would be a white needlefish grand slam bucktail with a piece on anchovie on the front hook 39" behind the flasher and a tiny red bead in front of the nose of the gsb.

I started out with green ones for the first couple of years and they were the best lure on the boat and we run 4 rods and change our gear up frequently if not catching. The green gsb out fished spoons anchovies and hoochies of the same color. Eventually I bought a white gsb (needlefish size) and rigged it up and dropped it the first day we started fishing inside Nootka sound - 3pm between tides on a hot day - 30 seconds later near the shore at San Carlos BANG fish on. 15 lb spring released beside boat with pliers and the fish wriggled and the pliers broke the line and the white gsb slipped off the leader and sunk slowly into the depths :-( I didn't have another! So used the older green and blue gsbs I had for the rest of that trip.

Next year I had found some more white ones and they outfished the green colour.

I have never used them on the surface in the wash for cohos. But cohos love them. Before the warm blob of water turned up offshore when cohos were plentiful I stopped using the bucktails out at bajo because we couldn't keep the cohos off them. You would drop the gear to 20' on the rigger and while attaching the top line to the rigger a coho would hit the bottom line and we couldn't get down to the springs. ( A problem we wished we had these last 3 years !) but I can't give gsbs all the credit for that as cohos would hit almost anything those years.

When the previous owner stopped making these a couple of years ago I got on the phone and bought up A few that were left from various shops in bc, so pleased to see you bought the business barkerfam!

They are well made and I would have caught 30 fish on one bucktail and it still looks new. My problem is I forget to wash my gear and after winter my hooks have rusted and stained the hair on the gsbs.

Barkerfam ( Howard?)
I have some feedback... I haven't bought any gsbs since you took over but if you could please make a line with more glow in them that would be great. The ones I have do have a few glow hairs in them in the belly but not many.

Great product.

Wondermur

Billydoo,
I own grand slam bucktails with a buddy. We make trolling flies that are designed here in the PNW. Hand made beautiful flies that last, and most importantly, catch fish. Usually fished behind a flasher like a hoochie, but can be used multiple other ways as well. Website is grandslambucktails.com

Thanks for asking

Howard

Here is my 2 cents on Grand Slam Bucktails ...they are AWESOME on springs. I have nothing to do with the gsb company fyi :)

I have used them for the previous 6 years in Nootka sound and anywhere else we fish. Think of them as a hoochie made of synthetic hair / Mylar. This is not a Bucktail as the name suggests.
RIGGING: You rig them exactly as you would a hoochie. The hooks are not attached to the fly as a traditional bucktail is. You rig your own leader just like a hoochie. Tandem hooks with 50lb leader and 39" from from nose of gsb to back of flasher works great this time of year. If you want to get fancy fillet a anchovy and cut the fillet into 1 1/2"strips put on front hook under the body of the bucktail for scent.
(Avoid using scents on the gsb, it gums up the hair)

If I could only use 2 setups inside Nootka sound one would be an anchovie setup and the other would be a white needlefish grand slam bucktail with a piece on anchovie on the front hook 39" behind the flasher and a tiny red bead in front of the nose of the gsb.

I started out with green ones for the first couple of years and they were the best lure on the boat and we run 4 rods and change our gear up frequently if not catching. The green gsb out fished spoons anchovies and hoochies of the same color. Eventually I bought a white gsb (needlefish size) and rigged it up and dropped it the first day we started fishing inside Nootka sound - 3pm between tides on a hot day - 30 seconds later near the shore at San Carlos BANG fish on. 15 lb spring released beside boat with pliers and the fish wriggled and the pliers broke the line and the white gsb slipped off the leader and sunk slowly into the depths :-( I didn't have another! So used the older green and blue gsbs I had for the rest of that trip.

Next year I had found some more white ones and they outfished the green colour.

I have never used them on the surface in the wash for cohos. But cohos love them. Before the warm blob of water turned up offshore when cohos were plentiful I stopped using the bucktails out at bajo because we couldn't keep the cohos off them. You would drop the gear to 20' on the rigger and while attaching the top line to the rigger a coho would hit the bottom line and we couldn't get down to the springs. ( A problem we wished we had these last 3 years !) but I can't give gsbs all the credit for that as cohos would hit almost anything those years.

When the previous owner stopped making these a couple of years ago I got on the phone and bought up A few that were left from various shops in bc, so pleased to see you bought the business barkerfam!

They are well made and I would have caught 30 fish on one bucktail and it still looks new. My problem is I forget to wash my gear and after winter my hooks have rusted and stained the hair on the gsbs.

Barkerfam ( Howard?)
I have some feedback... I haven't bought any gsbs since you took over but if you could please make a line with more glow in them that would be great. The ones I have do have a few glow hairs in them in the belly but not many.

Great product.

Wondermur

Have you tried the Olympic Tackle lures?

http://olympictackle.com/salt-water.html

thanks Wondermur.

We have increased our glow threads by 50% since we bought the company. If you run out while in Nootka, Critter Cove is carrying most of our product line. I'll be up there July 17-21.

thanks Wondermur.

We have increased our glow threads by 50% since we bought the company. If you run out while in Nootka, Critter Cove is carrying most of our product line. I'll be up there July 17-21.

Don't see on your website how you ship to Canada and cost-I would like to order some but I don't like the hassle with UPS --USPS is ok

Back