2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I also prefer the whites and the marbled fish as long as they are the ones with the high oil content. Tules and evidently some of the other whites that are not full of oil are poor table fare just as a red that does not store much oil due to a shorter migration run.

Fishing with my son (10) last Saturday. Working the green can to Macaulay area, back and forth with 30 other boats. We were all piled up in that area, not many at the harbour mouth, and then another 30 or so at the wall.
The Pilot boat is coming out of the harbour, and decides hang a right and cut through the fleet working the Can to Macaulay area. He passed my starboard side with less than 20 feet to spare. I was some pissed off and let him know. My son was freaked we were gonna get swamped. Totally unsafe behaviour when you have a clear lane coming out of the harbour. No need to cut through the fleet like that. What an asshole.

No kidding Scott. It was a little to close for comfort. I did take a pic too. This is a little closer than I think they need to be. The pilot cut in between where I was and the can.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Reactions: RBL
Fishing with my son (10) last Saturday. Working the green can to Macaulay area, back and forth with 30 other boats. We were all piled up in that area, not many at the harbour mouth, and then another 30 or so at the wall.
The Pilot boat is coming out of the harbour, and decides hang a right and cut through the fleet working the Can to Macaulay area. He passed my starboard side with less than 20 feet to spare. I was some pissed off and let him know. My son was freaked we were gonna get swamped. Totally unsafe behaviour when you have a clear lane coming out of the harbour. No need to cut through the fleet like that. What an asshole.

I would file a complaint. Otherwise he gets away without being accountable...

while fishing in my 16' aluminum, I had several similar incidents with the Pilot Boat - nearly swamping me a couple of times! That crew has no respect and is going to cause an accident. There are a lot of small boats and watercraft at the harbour entrance.

I have to agree,they sometimes seem to go out of their way to throw off their big wake when close to fishing boats.Their obviously pissed off that we are blocking "their" entrance to the harbour.Slowing down for 100 yds. shouldn't be that big a deal for them.I'll try the complaint site.

I tried and can't find anything on transport Canada site that would direct a complaint to the pilot boats.

And that on top of rebuilding your kicker carb while trolling and your other trials and tribulations :eek::mad:

Have a look at this link
If it were me, I would start with a phone call
keep us posted on what kind of an answer you get...eh

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/contact-us-menu.htm

Marine Safety (Headquarters) – General Inquiries
Email: marinesafety-securitemaritime@tc.gc.ca
Phone: 1-855-859-3123 (Toll Free) or 613-991-3135 (Local)

or you can phone locally...

https://www.ppa.gc.ca/text/publications/general_information_for_agents-e.pdf
will look forward to hearing what kind of response you get.

He is pretty close in that picture!

But

Would local anglers be ok if a boundary was put in place? Potentially an unfavourable one. It's a busy area for the pilot boats and they aren't going to be moving them out of the harbour for the local sport fishing community

Hambone.....I was behind Rockdog that day.....pilot boat had the whole harbour mouth open and chose to go between the fleet and the green can. usually they hug the breakwall but he actually CHOSE to go through the fleet instead of just going straight out of the harbour. My son counted 40 boats at the can/macauley and there were about 4 between the breakwall and the can. Obviously the capt of that pilot boat was trying to be a dick.

Hambone.....I was behind Rockdog that day.....pilot boat had the whole harbour mouth open and chose to go between the fleet and the green can. usually they hug the breakwall but he actually CHOSE to go through the fleet instead of just going straight out of the harbour. My son counted 40 boats at the can/macauley and there were about 4 between the breakwall and the can. Obviously the capt of that pilot boat was trying to be a dick.

Ya that sounds brutal and the picture shows it.

I would think it's one bad apple but who knows. Anyways, hopefully it gets dealt with.

Back to reports

He is pretty close in that picture!
But
Would local anglers be ok if a boundary was put in place? Potentially an unfavourable one. It's a busy area for the pilot boats and they aren't going to be moving them out of the harbour for the local sport fishing community

I think what makes sense is common sense....
Pilot Boats should reduce their speed when approaching the Sports Fishing fleet to allow for minimal wake...just like what is done when any vessel enters this or any harbor.

I think what makes sense is common sense....
Pilot Boats should reduce their speed when approaching the Sports Fishing fleet to allow for minimal wake...just like what is done when any vessel enters this or any harbor.

My comment was only meant to make people aware that an easy solution for the port authority is it make a sport fishing boundary. Look what is happening at the Cap mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back