2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

ok. Here is the points and I'm not sure if I can post a pic. The one point out by itself doesn't seem right but I checked the position 4 times.

AREAS 25 AND 125:

Effective July 15, 2016 through October 15, 2016 the following areas are closed
to fishing for all fin-fish:

That portion of Subareas 25-13, 125-1, 125-2 and 125-3 shoreward of a line
drawn from Belmont Point located at 49 degrees 47.528'N and 126 degrees
55.605'W to a point located at 49 degrees 44.965'N and 127 degrees 01.823'W
(located approximately 1.9 nautical miles west of Ferrer Point), then
southeasterly approximately 13 nautical miles to a point located at 49 degrees
37.900'N and 126 degrees 52.600'W, then southwesterly to a point at 49 degrees
33.500'N and 126 degrees 52.600'W, then to the Red Can Buoy located at 49
degrees 33.806'N and 126 degrees 49.976'W then to a point located approximately
2 nautical miles east at 49 degrees 24.125'N and 126 degrees 46.942'W, then to
the Nootka Island shoreline at a point located near Beano Creek at 49 degrees
36.341'N and 126 degrees 45.141'W. The Bajo Reef RCA is located adjacent to
this closed area.

That portion of Subareas 25-7, 125-1 and 125-2 inside a line beginning at a
point on Vancouver Island at 49 degrees 33.445'N and 126 degrees 33.845'W
(north of Escalante Point), then westerly to a point approximately 1 nautical
mile offshore located at 49 degrees 33.445'N and 126 degrees 35.967'W, then
southerly approximately 8.8 nautical miles to a point intersecting the Estevan
Point RCA boundary located at 49 degrees 24.688'N and 126 degrees 35.593'W,
then to a point on Vancouver Island (on Hesquiat Peninsula) at 49 degrees
25.067'N and 126 degrees 34.598'W.

upload_2016-7-18_9-26-6.png

Yes it is posted several places here in the saltwater forum-not reports. Look up the latest gamechanger posts-the earlier one was incorrect co-ords and was corrected. Outer Bajo is very different!

Marsman the above is INCORRECT the amendment came in and that little dagger you have south is no more-amended to 49^34 125 I caught that many days ago when it first came out and DFO amended it. It was a typo.

image.png Fishing was full on at Camel Rk this am from 0545 to 0700 and then nothing for hours and hours. Then at 1530 the bite came back on. It was a slow day all over inside except for a couple of times thru the day.

Bottom fishing tomorrow and the weather looks very good.

Looking into trying out Nootka for the first time August 15-19. How is it this time of year?

Read through 2015 reports looks like it was hot end of July/early August then died when the commercials came in. Any way to see the commercial openings beforehand?

I wouldn't say it dies after the commercial guys are there. I think they take 4000 pieces approx (that's a guess based on what I heard 2 years ago). They are east of Critter Cove normally lined up on the South Side of the Sound. I'm there mid August every year 5 days and never have an issue getting limits. I believe this years commercial window is approx. around Aug 17 give or take a couple of days. If you get there the 15th you should see the before and after affects.

Last edited:
We've done about 2o trips mid August and never had trouble finding fish. That time of year there are still fresh fish outside and of course, inside will have fish throughout.

Trowser,

A lot of people don't understand what happens when a "chrome" Chinook gets near its spawning stream. Once it senses the fresh water it starts to "turn" and will usually go back out and feed until the heavy rains in September allow the fish to run up. The fish will start piling up at the end of August off the Canuma River and you will see fish jumping, but in early August when they enter the sound and confirm it is their spawning river, they often go back out to feed. That is why "black" fish are being caught off shore.

What they are doing when you see the big fish jumping is sensing the very minute layer of fresh water on top of the still salt water. This triggers the maturing of the fish for spawning and guides them to their spawning river.

If you ever fished the Big Q at the end of august, its enough to drive a person nuts as 20 - 30 of the big fish will jump on a calm evening. The funny part of it is that these same fish move to Tribune bay off Hornby Island to feed after jumping around the Big Q for a few days, until the water flow gets going from the fall rains when they run into the Qualicum, a distance of about 14 miles. When you get a hatchery fish at Tribune in late August, it almost always is a Big or Little Q fish.

Same principle applies to the Canuma River and Nootka.

You will do fine later on. Lots of waves of fish coming in mid to late August. More black fish though. I have never fished really late, but my friends who do start hitting some pretty good coho on the outside at the end of August, which is your bonus.

Drewski

Looking into trying out Nootka for the first time August 15-19. How is it this time of year?

Read through 2015 reports looks like it was hot end of July/early August then died when the commercials came in. Any way to see the commercial openings beforehand?
Last year turned off like a switch around August 22.

Hey Drewski
My theory regarding spawning Springs, is they turn from chrome to dark as a result of aging.
You will find bright springs with the mostly dark ones in the river.
Some say it's the fresh water turns the color. I don't buy it.
I have caught dark springs far away from the river.
They are just aging, like my grey hair!

3 more days then heading over to Tuta. It's just a buddy and I in a blue 16' Prince Craft with a side console and 40hp. If you see us say hi. I bought a hand held and registered the MMSI number last year for the little boat. What channel do most guys leave the radio on? We will be around the Camel Rock area. Thanks for the report. Heard last weekend that Camel was productive. With the high pressure coming in I'm expecting bad afternoon winds and might not be going far. Last year we crossed from Discovery to the west end of Bligh and there was white caps. I was impressed how well the boat handled it. Buoyant tin can. Have some new cool tackle to try out.

Cheers, Rob

3 more days then heading over to Tuta. It's just a buddy and I in a blue 16' Prince Craft with a side console and 40hp. If you see us say hi. I bought a hand held and registered the MMSI number last year for the little boat. What channel do most guys leave the radio on? We will be around the Camel Rock area. Thanks for the report. Heard last weekend that Camel was productive. With the high pressure coming in I'm expecting bad afternoon winds and might not be going far. Last year we crossed from Discovery to the west end of Bligh and there was white caps. I was impressed how well the boat handled it. Buoyant tin can. Have some new cool tackle to try out.

Cheers, Rob
Most listen in on Ch 6.
Love the lines of those Princecrafts. Nice looking boats

Back