2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

Just on my way home from 4 days in Nootka. Managed to get to the outside the first 2 days and fishing was very good. Could not get outside for the last 2 days. Waves and wind were just too much. Heard on the radio that a guide with his clients took a wave over the roof trying to get out to Bajo! They turned around and fished inside the monument. We had nothing but shakers for the last 2 days. All in all a good trip with 10 Springs with average size over 20lbs and 1 over 30. The weather would not cooperate and there were very few fish on the inside. TF

I was out from the 13th to 16th, we fished wash rock to monument. Fishing was decent for us landed our 8 springs lost 4. we used red flashers green teaser heads, 4.5 ft leaders. most fish were caught between 32-38ft down. 17-25lbs

Looking to launch a 25 foot boat in Gold River. Any advise on hazards, parking or is the launch in good shape? Thanks
Just make sure you have at least 3 ft or more tide. Launch is what it is. I launch my 27ft there without any issues. Pay for parking and park inside the fence. Have a great trip

This is the first year that I have seen them lock the parking lot at night, I left CC at 0430 and arrived at the ramp around 0515, had to wait until 0600 to get my vehicle out.

Jim

Looking to launch a 25 foot boat in Gold River. Any advise on hazards, parking or is the launch in good shape? Thanks

Watch out for the rock in front of the float plane dock. Have had a couple different buddies whack their motors on it. Not sure if your from the Canada or from the States but either side of the border shows tides heights differently. (made that mistake myself before)

Fished from July 2nd to the 14th and it was a test of patients. Most days we could not get offshore because of weather. As other posts around that time fishing was very slow inside and even Beano dried up compared to late June. I was able to get offshore July 6th and did very well with 3 haly and a few springs. The Halibut was 132.5 cm as I had to measure it 10 times in the water before I thru the spear into it. It was then 4 more days of wind and rain so no offshore fishing and it stayed slow.

July 11th the switch turned on and the Bajo Reef turned on fire with everyone catching fish. The 12th and 13th was flat calm outside and we took advantage of that bottom fishing and caught lots of salmon.

I had to come back to work for 2 days and am now heading back this morning until September. I'll try and post from Nootka but it's tough between working 16 hour days and not having internet often but I'll try.

IMG_5747.JPG
IMG_5716.JPG

Watch out for the rock in front of the float plane dock. Have had a couple different buddies whack their motors on it. Not sure if your from the Canada or from the States but either side of the border shows tides heights differently. (made that mistake myself before)

X2. ^ I can speak from personal experience on this one. Hell of a way to start your trip. Stupid part was I knew it was there. I said to my buddy, keep an eye out for that, BANG.
The ramp / dock is a burning tire fire with hot garbage sprinkled on top. Like others mentioned, make sure you are launching with enough water. End of the ramp drops off abruptly, and I have seen many a boat/ trailer hung up and stuck, effectively disabling the ramp until the tide rises enough that boat can float off the trailer.

I've launched at Gold River many times and never seen the rocks at the float plane dock. I guess it depends what u draft. One thing I always do though is keep my prop barely under the surface when I'm launching at 4 feet or less tide condition until I get into deeper water by the Gov dock.

Just back from 4 days in Nootka. Weds Thurs were slow fished bajo and lighthouse. Fri went to Beano and only seen a couple of nets pulled out of probably 20 boats. Back to south bajo and it was on fire. Landed and released around 15 20-30 lbs all on white hootchies.

Just back from 4 days in Nootka. Weds Thurs were slow fished bajo and lighthouse. Fri went to Beano and only seen a couple of nets pulled out of probably 20 boats. Back to south bajo and it was on fire. Landed and released around 15 20-30 lbs all on white hootchies.
Good to hear the fish are showing up. Headed back up on Thursday.

Heading to Nootka on Sturday for 5-7 days. Looks like things are picking up. We will be fishing out of Tuta. Not sure what boat yet as it depends on if my buddy gets his new Weldcraft 260 ready. If not we will be in a blue 16' Prince Craft we had there last year. We did excellent with the little boat 6 double headers in springs... lol I think I know why and will test it this year if we take it.

I do have a question and wish the DFO would put out a map. From the main page it seems not much has changed but when you look at the latest fishery notices there is a couple of new big non-Chinook retention areas. I started to map it out in my chart but became pain. I did map out an area just north of Escalante all the way south to Estevan Point. There is another area Bajo and north up past Ferrer Point. Haven't map that yet. Anyone else have info or a map on this?
Thanks and sorry if this was posted somewhere...

Rob

Back