2015 Tuna Adventures

Sorry for thread jacking this one. And thanks for the guidance on guides.

Back on topic. What is the deal with albacore tuna fishing vrs salmon? From what I've seen on youtube it looks like tuna are great fighting fish, but not acrobatic like a coho is. Is there a good chance of targeting tuna from Ukee in mid July with a guide? And maybe double down and throw in some salmon fishing on the same day? If possible, that would be hard to resist.

Tuna are 40-60 miles offshore and that's if the weather permits you to get out to them.....not really possible to do a combo trip the same day.
Do a multi day trip.
Tofino Ospray is a great option.

Mark Coleman does it 3 years in a row. First albacores caught out of Westport. Juna!!!

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...by-team-all-rivers-saltwater-charters.590215/

Getting tackle ready this week and watching the temps a lot more. Still thinking mid July for us up here. Going to give the dead bait/chunk stop a serious try this year. I would love to pull it off without evening trolling. That and introducing a couple more folks to this fishery is on the accomplishment list this year :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Coleman does it 3 years in a row. First albacores caught out of Westport. Juna!!!

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...by-team-all-rivers-saltwater-charters.590215/

Getting tackle ready this week and watching the temps a lot more. Still thinking mid July for us up here. Going to give the dead bait/chunk stop a serious try this year. I would love to pull it off without evening trolling. That and introducing a couple more folks to this fishery is on the accomplishment list this year :).

A couple of different boats got them two days earlier out of Newport Oregon - http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=10374314#post10374314 and Giribaldi Oregon - http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1029042. It won't be too much longer until they're up by us!

Looking at Terafin this AM. There's 61F water just off the end of the Juan de Fuca canyon and a nice break in the chloro at about the same spot. There's a nice connection all the way south to warm water so some fish should be there. The warmer water hasn't quite made it up to the canyons on the Canadian side of the line but it should be there within the next week or so if we don't get a sustained blow from the N. It only took a few days for the warm water to creep up from OR to the JDF Canyon.

Looking at Terafin this AM. There's 61F water just off the end of the Juan de Fuca canyon and a nice break in the chloro at about the same spot. There's a nice connection all the way south to warm water so some fish should be there. The warmer water hasn't quite made it up to the canyons on the Canadian side of the line but it should be there within the next week or so if we don't get a sustained blow from the N. It only took a few days for the warm water to creep up from OR to the JDF Canyon.

Tying lures for the next couple of days. Spending the week working out every bug we can find on the boat (fixed the drivers seat TC lol:D). Both of my go to tackle stores were not prepared for an early fishery. Hope they get some of the new stuff in the next couple of weeks....

There is a major itch to be scratched. Who's going to be first? I'll bet Don is ready to go anytime ;).

I'll be in Neah Bay from this coming Sat for a little over a week. If the conditions come together, we may make a run. Right now, Monday looks like a possibility.

This was a post on Bloodydecks website. Looks like the tuna fishing is heating up down south. http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/ilwaco-tuna-report.590765/

Epic bite out of Ilwaco today! Found multiple jumpers first thing this morning at the 10 over 44. We could not get a bite on the troll had to treat them like September fish and pitch swim baits from a distance or they would sound. Ended up working together with Mark Coleman out of Westport to locate fish. He was working fish up around the 20 line so we made the run north. We had 12 peanuts in the box at 2pm started heading back to port. When we hit the biggest body of tuna we will probably ever see. They were not jumping but traveling just feet under the surface causing a v-wake. Acres of tuna!!! We shut down the motors let them come to us. We had no chum no bait and a wide open iron and swimbait bite. At times there would be hundreds of tuna under the boat. We put 18 more fish on the deck in short order and left what I would consider the northern body of fish. All in the 20 to 25# range. The pic shows the wakes coming off the tuna. that was just one small school some were as big as a football field and as far south as we could see.

Wow great report from the BD site... hopefully that warm water pushes far enough north for the Westcoast fast-troll gang to get a shot at it.. Goodluck to everyone venturing out this season..

Anyone have an idea as to roughly how far out from Kyuquot one has to go? I know with Shawn we were 50-60 out of Tofino but I'd think it would be notably less further up island?

Anyone have an idea as to roughly how far out from Kyuquot one has to go? I know with Shawn we were 50-60 out of Tofino but I'd think it would be notably less further up island?

Roughly 25-30 miles off the beach depending on which area you are headed. Kyuquot Canyon to the South or up by Brooks to the North (farther). This is just quickly looking at Navionics on my phone. I would like to here from some veteran Kyuquot tuna fishers as well. I was looking at Terrafin tonight and Winter Harbour has 60 degree temps and really blue water about 20 miles offshore right now!

We will be in Winter Harbour the second weekend of August to give er a whirl out of there. Firelight booked a cabin for us. It's part of the Sculpin tuna tour :D.

This was a post on Bloodydecks website. Looks like the tuna fishing is heating up down south. http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/ilwaco-tuna-report.590765/

Epic bite out of Ilwaco today! Found multiple jumpers first thing this morning at the 10 over 44. We could not get a bite on the troll had to treat them like September fish and pitch swim baits from a distance or they would sound. Ended up working together with Mark Coleman out of Westport to locate fish. He was working fish up around the 20 line so we made the run north. We had 12 peanuts in the box at 2pm started heading back to port. When we hit the biggest body of tuna we will probably ever see. They were not jumping but traveling just feet under the surface causing a v-wake. Acres of tuna!!! We shut down the motors let them come to us. We had no chum no bait and a wide open iron and swimbait bite. At times there would be hundreds of tuna under the boat. We put 18 more fish on the deck in short order and left what I would consider the northern body of fish. All in the 20 to 25# range. The pic shows the wakes coming off the tuna. that was just one small school some were as big as a football field and as far south as we could see.

As much as I am trying to tone down my tuna obsessing this post really got to me. Im full on "tuna obsessing" again. Theres a nice edge off tofino right now that Id love to fish. Just waiting for weather and watching the charts.

I've been a few miles offshore from the Cape scott area the last few days and the water is 57-60 degrees and gin clear with a pelagic blue tinge. Bearcove and I joked about dropping some clones.

I've been a few miles offshore from the Cape scott area the last few days and the water is 57-60 degrees and gin clear with a pelagic blue tinge. Bearcove and I joked about dropping some clones.

All kidding would be aside if you saw one jump!

Been hearing quite a few unconfirmed reports out of Nootka lately. Today, I even heard from a commercial fisherman about Yellowtail and Pompano being caught!!!

Winter Harbour, Nootka, and the Nitinat Canyon all look great on Terrafin today. Weather is the poor factor. I'm watching it a couple of times a day now. Full on withdrawals have kicked in :eek:......

That's unreal John, only a matter of time till one of the regulars spanks a true exotic.
Can't wait to give her a shot in a month or so.

Back