2015 Tuna Adventures

There has been some unconfirmed activity by the commercial and sports fleet down in Southern Oregon lately. I'm thinking if the highway shapes up and the water moves up we could be fishing in July. This early season monitoring of conditions is all part of the excitement of this fishery :).

FWIW I have also heard from several others that things may allow a July albie fishery.

Maybe we will be fishing them in Barkley sound this year.... just mounting the out riggers on the boat this weekend ... :)

I knew you would be on this Andrew, hopefully we can make a run in July or early Aug when we are in town.

July was the best month for us last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X 2 and I will not be missing any opportunities early in the season for that reason.

I tried juna fishing last year but no luck. A couple weeks later or 10 days or so was very good fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we will be fishing them in Barkley sound this year.... just mounting the out riggers on the boat this weekend ... :)

I'll be in Ukee in mid to late July and really want to do some inshore fishing. Ruled out salmon since it's too early and I don't want to troll deep out on the banks. Much prefer light tackle, close combat fishing. So I was going to do some shore fishing with my own rods and pass on going out with a guide this year. But inshore Barkley Sound tuna would be awesome.

Looks like the same water pattern is going to hold this year. Certainly didn't move them further inshore like many of us had hoped but it did seem to move the main biomass through earlier. It will be nice to get a break from salmon and sneak out for some early season trips.

I'll be in Ukee in mid to late July and really want to do some inshore fishing. Ruled out salmon since it's too early and I don't want to troll deep out on the banks. Much prefer light tackle, close combat fishing. So I was going to do some shore fishing with my own rods and pass on going out with a guide this year. But inshore Barkley Sound tuna would be awesome.

July too early for salmon, deep on the banks and inshore tuna? I'm not even touching this one hahah.

July too early for salmon, deep on the banks and inshore tuna? I'm not even touching this one hahah.

Newbie here. I have no idea what is so funny and I must have some misconceptions about inside fishing in mid July. I talked to a few guides in the area and they said inside fishing is not very good compared to offshore bank depth fishing. It's less reliable. Is that not the case?

Newbie here. I have no idea what is so funny and I must have some misconceptions about inside fishing in mid July. I talked to a few guides in the area and they said inside fishing is not very good compared to offshore bank depth fishing. It's less reliable. Is that not the case?
Do you mean fishing from the beach or working closer to shore in a smaller boat?

Because what the guides told you is accurate but it's not as if you can't troll close to shore in mid July and catch fish especially if you're willing to drag bait and there's always Barkley Sound around the corner.

@ bmckenney .. Was joking about the inshore tuna bud.... Pretty sure july is probably one of the best months to target salmon inshore Barclay sound.. Someone has misinformed you . Worth every penny to charter an experienced guide for a day to give you some tips on where to fish ,depth,lures,speed etc etc..... Weather inshore or out on the banks...

@ bmckenney .. Was joking about the inshore tuna bud.... Pretty sure july is probably one of the best months to target salmon inshore Barclay sound.. Someone has misinformed you . Worth every penny to charter an experienced guide for a day to give you some tips on where to fish ,depth,lures,speed etc etc..... Weather inshore or out on the banks...

That's interesting and positive. Interesting as I thought (and was told by both a Tofino and Ukee guide) that salmon fishing is spotty inshore in July because the salmon would not have moved inshore yet. I'm not familiar with what time of year each species start to stage for spawning in this area. I'm more familiar with Kitimat and I believe that chinook start spawning in July so I imagine they are in the channel in numbers in July. And chum and coho are later. Being a newbie, I may be totally uninformed about where salmon are located in the salt relative to when they spawn.

And then there's the possibility of targeting albacore nearshore in the sound, if that is realistic.

All I want is to have a great day of fishing out of Ukee or Tofino but not offshore and no trolling. I prefer to not troll, and I have two teenagers that would probably find trolling boring when it's quiet. And one of them already has a preference for light tackle, jigging etc rather than trolling. So I would prefer an opportunity to cast some jigs and flies at salmon. So far the guides I've talked to say they don't really have that kind of gear other than a bucktail setup, and timing wise it would be better in August.

This video shows what I have in mind for an ideal day, in the middle of July.

[video]https://youtu.be/SOEyHRvxJ1U?t=50

There has been some unconfirmed activity by the commercial and sports fleet down in Southern Oregon lately. I'm thinking if the highway shapes up and the water moves up we could be fishing in July. This early season monitoring of conditions is all part of the excitement of this fishery :).

I heard the same thing on iFish. Rumors of commies getting a few at the 130 line.

Sorry for thread jacking this one. And thanks for the guidance on guides.

Back on topic. What is the deal with albacore tuna fishing vrs salmon? From what I've seen on youtube it looks like tuna are great fighting fish, but not acrobatic like a coho is. Is there a good chance of targeting tuna from Ukee in mid July with a guide? And maybe double down and throw in some salmon fishing on the same day? If possible, that would be hard to resist.

Back