2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

SF, glad the boat ran well for you, thanks for the report. Looks like we may have the same type of water conditions as last year with the brown water. Headed up next week to give it a go.

Got back from Tuta Marine late Thursday evening. Had a great trip for a first trip, out there! Took my 38 yr old son (novice fisherman) and two of his English students (13 yrs & 15 yrs) from Taiwan (never fished before....for ANYTHING). In the 2 1/2 days we were there the boys lost 2 fish each and landed one each (a 15 and a 20 lb), a trip of a lifetime for them plus photos & fish (canned) to take home. My son landed 2 small Coho and 2 - 20 lb springs. Twogone landed a nice big Coho and fought a seal for 20 minutes for a 30 lb spring AND WON!!!! My son did a masterful job of chasing the ******* fish thief and not letting him up for air. He tried to surface several times but (watching the angle of the fishing line) my son charged the boat at him and forced him down again. After about 15 minutes his lungs must have been bursting and he tried to surface for air but again the boat was on top of him so he let go of my fish and raced away. He had bitten the fish through the gills so it had bled to death. I pulled it up and netted it quickly, not an ounce of damaged meat. That was enough excitement for us so we headed home plus the 2 boys were 'done' (not used to getting up at 4 AM and fishing 'till dark). We couldn't get away until 2:00 because some yahoos forgot to hook on the safety chain while pulling their boat out (and compounded the problem by gunning the big block Dodge). The hitch popped out, the winch let go and half of the boat slid off the trailer. If the hitch had not popped off tilting the trailer up and stuffing the prop into the gravel, the whole bloody boat would have ended up on the beach. What a 'gong show! Anyway, they got it back on the trailer somehow and we got Dixie out of the water and headed home. I would call it a very successful trip, we all got fish and had fun and came home safe. Didn't get any white fish for the missus, maybe next time. A big 'THANK YOU' to the forum members who earlier offered advice. Cheers; Twogone

Thanks for the report. We are heading to Tuta tomorrow. If anyone is on the 7:45 to Duke I will be the dude with the red F150 pulling a blue pricecraft. Pop over and we can share stories. 3rd trip for me this year.
Cheers, Rob

Guide outfitters should have a better place to advertise and then we might not have to weed out the BS!

Little bit of a loss here Cabazon-what posts do you think are by a guide outfitter that are BS you have to wade through?? Any report is helpful-especially bad ones-most guide outfitters are going to err on the side of a good report-still a kernel of good info there to pick-up. Don't discourage reports-you might get what you wish for and have to go over blind-guides don't have to report you know!!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice report two gone , what did you catch the hog on bait or gear ?

We caught all of the Springs and Coho with spoons, some on 3" Cop car but most on 3 1/2" Watermellon.
I don't believe the flasher makes a huge difference as long as it's bright & Glo. I just let the boys pick one out of the flasher wallet, they enjoyed that and it didn't seem to make any difference to the fish.
I'm sure some 'expert' will refute that statement and I don't care. We weren't out there to bring home 500 lbs of salmon (roughly our limit), we were there for a West Coast experience and to have some fun.
I was also trying to impress upon the boys from Taiwan that most British Columbians respect the resource and the environment.

Guide outfitters should have a better place to advertise and then we might not have to weed out the BS!

Hey Cabazon, IF and ONLY IF you are referring to my report and you think there is anything in it that indicates I'm a guide may I suggest you check what you have been smoking lately. A post like yours probably doesn't deserve a reply but I'll give one anyway.
I live in Ladysmith which is one hell of a long way from Nootka; I'm well into my 70's (a bit obvious with a 38 year old son) so why on earth would I waste my time and any clients time driving that dreadful road when there are lots of springs right here? I posted that report for other forum members to read and hopefully enjoy because I certainly enjoy reading theirs.
AND, if you think it's all BS, that IS your right and quite frankly I don't give a ****. I'm sure there was at least one forum member out there that watched us fight the seal.
Respectfully; Twogone

Last edited by a moderator:
We caught all of the Springs and Coho with spoons, some on 3" Cop car but most on 3 1/2" Watermellon.
I don't believe the flasher makes a huge difference as long as it's bright & Glo. I just let the boys pick one out of the flasher wallet, they enjoyed that and it didn't seem to make any difference to the fish.
I'm sure some 'expert' will refute that statement and I don't care. We weren't out there to bring home 500 lbs of salmon (roughly our limit), we were there for a West Coast experience and to have some fun.
I was also trying to impress upon the boys from Taiwan that most British Columbians respect the resource and the environment.

Thanks two gone I always run bait but I'm going to try some spoons this trip heading up Friday .

Some people just love to *****. He made a similar post on last year's thread for Nootka too.

You like the forum..... Don't read it.

Thanks two gone I always run bait but I'm going to try some spoons this trip heading up Friday .

A tip from a friend may have caught us an extra fish or two. Long leaders with the spoons, at least 5 - 6 feet.
Good luck! Cheers; twogone

Cabezota......Guide outfitters should have a better place to advertise and then we might not have to weed out the BS!

what is your point?

Just got got back from a four day stint in Nootka and in a word: SLOW. Boats were spread out all over the place looking for fish. I was spread out from three bay, camel, San carlos , beer can, burdwood, the light. Wash rock, up Tahsis inlet, Coopte, and Hoiss. A lot of long faces on neighbouring boats. Couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for some of the folks that hauled their truck and boat thousands of miles for mediocre fishing.
We managed five springs and a Hali on the outside. Weather was inclement, but I also got burned quite bad. We got some on chovvies, but the killer for me was a green and white needle fish hootchie. It was responsible for the deaths of four of the five springs. Lost a dinger of a fish thanks to a crappy fluorocarbon knot fail tied by yours truly.
On the positive : it seems a fresh run of fish were moving in just as we were leaving. I saw bent rods all over the place this morning driving out. Additionally, when it's a bit slower, you get to appreciate the true beauty of Nootka Sound. I saw a lone wolf travelling the beach up Tahsis Inlet, and we were listening to howling wolves from just behind our cabin on Bligh Island. Saw a small bear on a beach flipping rocks looking for food underneath.
Codfather I saw you Friday evening at Burdwood. I managed a couple there that night. Was gonna yell hi at you but it looks like you had clients so I didnt wanna start yelling at you. All in all a beauty trip.

Most people visiting these forums are looking for true unbiased fishing reports . Lodges are misusing these open forums as a free launching pad to advertise and promote their businesses rather than telling like it really is. All Hype

Who's bitching? Just the truth senior Member. I like river boy's latest post. but it would be nice to hear more positive news that's not from a Guide Camp that's all. I will be glad to share when that good news comes and I trust It will come soon. Looking Forward

Just back from the shake down cruise. Had a great time at Nootka Sound Resort visiting the kid.
Fishing is slow but steady. Almost everyone is getting a few fish, and they are good sizes.
With only a few hours put in we got a 10 and a 21, both springs.
No tea parties, everyone was hunting.
Oh yeah, the new boat can pull a slalom skier up no problems!

BTW cuttlefish were jumping out of the water en masse and landing on the docks at night near any bright lights. Whoa....

Most people visiting these forums are looking for true unbiased fishing reports . Lodges are misusing these open forums as a free launching pad to advertise and promote their businesses rather than telling like it really is. All Hype

You have to learn to take what some guides or lodges say with a grain of salt. Remember they have a business to promote, what do you want them to say,, it sucks don't come out. They wouldn't last very long would they. On the other hand most of the guides on this site are pretty straight forward about what is happening. I for one like their reports as usually they are a true report of what is happening out there and what can be obtained if you get it right.

Just back from 4 days in Nootka, staying at Critter cove. Salmon fishing was not hot by any means, but we put the time in and got our limit.Seems like the bite was better today than the last few days, should be picking up in the next week. Fished everywhere from hois,camel,friendly... and probably lost as many as we caught. Bottom fishing was good, we limited on snapper, rockfish and ling cod out towards Bajo and picked up a couple chickens trolling. Great trip and plenty of laughs. 11 months 26 days till we go back.

Back