2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Fished from Friday afternoon to Monday afternoon. We fished the area from Friendly Cove to Maquina Pt. . We had a great time... despite the gale warning. We limited on Chinook for the four of us sizes ranging from 10 to 22 lbs. We released a few small springs a couple of wild coho but for the most part springs were the order of the day. What worked best for just was a white hoochie on a 29.5" leader dragged by a Silver Betsy flasher. We followed the 90 foot contour fishing 70 and 80 on the rigger. What also produced (thanks Chris) was the green glow Sitka spoon.

We stayed at Nootka Rentals and had a fantastic time. Great hosts and fantastic location. There's something to be said about burning only 200 l of gas when you are running a 200 2-stroke for the whole trip we were right at the fishing grounds for the trip.

We made an attempt on Halibut but didn't even wet the lines due to the winds.

I would like to thank those who posted reports on the area before our trip. Your reports upped the excitement and helped make sure we had the right tools and locations to make our trip a success.

all the best,

Richard

Just back after 4 days. Inside was slow although we caught a few and others who worked hard did as well. Don't think the fish have moved inside yet. Probably weather, too hot. Weather like scorching hot until yesterday. As everyone says, the Lighthouse and Beano were best bets. Offshore was a snot fest although Sunday we got out to the reef and got 3 nice Springs. Fishing outside that day was our best day. Gold river launch seemed very quiet. Not a lot of vehicles. Maybe it's early but compared to previous years it seemed quieter. Back up Thursday for 4 days.

Bones, apologies man. Probably watching my lines and hoping. The eye sight isn't what it used to be....SS, Inside was spotty everywhere. We did get a few off Hoiss and the Backyard but worked hard for them. I heard others found fish at San Carlos and Camel, but, we had no luck there. The Lighthouse seemed to be producing reasonable well....Back up Thursday. With rain in the forecast hopefully more fish will move inside. Water temps inside were 68-70 degrees Saturday. Offshore at Bajo they were 58 degrees. With temps dropping maybe the inside will pick up. Will report next Tuesday when we get back....

Bones, apologies man. Probably watching my lines and hoping. The eye sight isn't what it used to be....SS, Inside was spotty everywhere. We did get a few off Hoiss and the Backyard but worked hard for them. I heard others found fish at San Carlos and Camel, but, we had no luck there. The Lighthouse seemed to be producing reasonable well....Back up Thursday. With rain in the forecast hopefully more fish will move inside. Water temps inside were 68-70 degrees Saturday. Offshore at Bajo they were 58 degrees. With temps dropping maybe the inside will pick up. Will report next Tuesday when we get back....

ahh just buggin ya pescador. i wouldnt spend time inside right now not till conuma river fishes start to show. you should punch that grady up to esperenza and giver a go.

Pescador,

Those inside temperatures are simply TOO HIGH!! Unless you want Mackerel.

I would expect that a week of very high tides may flush some cool water into the sound. The rivers won't do anything with that many miles of water, and it is still to far off for the fish to start looking for their home rivers, so the outside will just get better and better as more fish arrive.

Drewski

Just on ferry back from 4 days of fishing Esperanza and Nootka. First day at wash rocks in Nootka had a good bite up until 11 am. Went 6 for 9 with white hoochie being the ticket right on bottom. Ran out to Rodgers Lodge from there. Hit 2 at Ferrer that evening. Monday was pretty much a right off with the wind. Tuesday it laid up and got out to the T. Nailed 3 springs by 9:30 am and then switched to Hali and got into good bite of chickens, but no big ones. Switched back to salmon and after a hour lull hit 8 springs, including 2 doubles. Hocchies again and got 2 on Nogs Needle. All 150 to 220 feet down. Today hit 9 springs and quit at 1:30 pm. All out at T on same gear.

One funny thing with Nog's Needles all 3 springs hit as we were bringing gear up on the rigger. It seemed to trigger the hits.

Had a great trip with my Son's. Can't wait to go back to Rodgers again next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

August 3rd I'll be making my first trip ever to Nootka. I've been scouring the boards for insight and I'm hoping that some of you can answer this question for me. Does anyone have a map of the Nootka Sound area which shows all of the names that I see mentioned on the boards (Friendly Cove, Lighthouse, Beano etc)? I'm trying to figure out where to go. I plan to launch at Moucha but was wondering if it is worth going the extra distance to Tahsis My boat is only 19' so I don't think that I'll be venturing out offshore at all. I also promised my 11 year old that we'd try for Halibut. Is there any reasonable chance to catch a Hally on the inlets? My son is super excited to go!

Thanks in advance guys!

Curtis

I fished Esperanza for three days. Meat was working well too, bloodnose teaser heads or green glow. Big hali's at The Pins, caught a big skate there too. The hali fishing was consistent, salmon less so I think (the fish were moving, one day there, the next day not), but regardless, easy limits on springs. The cohos weren't as numerous as in the past, they hadn't come in yet in large numbers. The highway was were it's at. Will be back to fish Tuna and Northern Coho in August.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where exactly are the Pins? I've heard that area referred to a few times now. Also when they are referring to the 'Highway' is that the waterway from Tahsis south to Strange Island? Sorry I'm trying to learn the Nootka area!

Hey guys,

August 3rd I'll be making my first trip ever to Nootka. I've been scouring the boards for insight and I'm hoping that some of you can answer this question for me. Does anyone have a map of the Nootka Sound area which shows all of the names that I see mentioned on the boards (Friendly Cove, Lighthouse, Beano etc)? I'm trying to figure out where to go. I plan to launch at Moucha but was wondering if it is worth going the extra distance to Tahsis My boat is only 19' so I don't think that I'll be venturing out offshore at all. I also promised my 11 year old that we'd try for Halibut. Is there any reasonable chance to catch a Hally on the inlets? My son is super excited to go!

Thanks in advance guys!

Curtis

At that time of the month I would focus on inside tahsis inlet ( watch your fish boundaries ) and the popular spots inside Nootka sound.( Hoiss, Coopte, san Carlos, Camel Rock, three bay, and all walls between. ) No need to go to Beano, or the highway if you are uncomfortable going offshore. There is also no need to go miles offshore for Hali either. I catch all mine in about 150-175 feet of water straight out from the mouth of Nootka. People don't target Hali inside at all, not saying they aren't there. Good luck.

The highway is 15 miles off Ferrer, 320' of water, the 50 fathom contour. The Pins are two humps half way out to the highway. Sorry, don't have the coordinates here.

That's a huge help. My boat is a nice 19' deep V but I'd be a bit nervous to venture too far out. Is it worth driving all the way to Tahsis to launch the boat if that's where I'm going to be fishing mostly? I had thought of launching at Moucha...

You guys are great, I hope I run into some of you out there. My boy is so excited.

Curtis

I fished your dates from Moutcha for 3 years around Aug 3rd. There will be dark fish jumping in the bay right in front of the dock and fresh ones coming around the first corner on the right. It's not far to many good spots. I've never been to Tahsis, but I would stay at Moutcha if you can get a reservation. Read the article above, it's very helpful and actually written by a veteran member here, but beware of the new boundaries and restrictions.
It was 1 hour to the Lighthouse or Burdwood from Moutcha in my 11 foot boat at 18mph on days when I was looking for a more nautical experience than the lake-like inside waters.

Hey Waterwolf2230 I towed my 24 foot boat to Tahsis last year and i will never do it again. When we left i took the boat by water to Gold river and had my wife pull the trailer around to meet me. The road isn't horrible its just rough, long and slow going. I didn't like beating the S&%$ out of my unit. Its a long run out to fish every day from Tahiss. The folks at the marina were really friendly and helpful with spots to fish but most of the fishing from there was off shore a ways. We learned quick to go out really early and try to be back in the protected waters by noonish. This year we are putting in at Gold River and fishing out of the Nootka sound area. If weather permits we will probably make a trip out to the Highway but if not I'm sure there will be lots of action closer in.
Hope that helps a little bit, have fun and good luck. If you do go up the Tahsis way, Ferrer point was awesome to us using a cut plug rig.

Charlie is right, i was wrong. I meant to say that the Hali fishing was good at Twin Peaks. To quote a previous posting by Charlie
"At Ferrer you mighty be talking: N49 42.829 W126 58.634>>
Twin Peaks is located at: N49 45.088 W127 14.800>>"

Back