2015 Amundson TMX5-Theron Review

I think the graphics are killer..frees-pool is not a deal breaker, I wanna see how that drag works with a monster pulling at the other end, im sure there is a lodge somewhere given them a go, cant wait to see a video of a big spring screaming line off the reel...if it doesn't have a buttery smooth drag I would be skeptical but from all accounts so far Admundson is onto something with this style of drag system...

I was told about this reel by a forum member here Wildthing (Jon) He's a pro staff member at Amundson. Maybe he can chime in with his experience with the reel so far.

I like the graphics... It's different, differentiation is good. Purple too, eh why not! I think that's wicked. :eek:

If you want a plain one buy the TMX5 they are same internally no?

I do want one of these but my wallet says 'no' right now :) I like the look of the rods as well they sure are coming out with what seems to be some great product.

I have one of the TMX4's, good reel just one caveat is that I've had a few cases where the line goes in between the spool and the frame into the back-internals of the reel and gets caught in the gear. Kind of a serious pain lol
I think this RST reel I have has some sort of synthetic, non-cork drag in it too, (german made I believe), not the best handles (had to lock-tite them), smaller diameter, funky drag wheel, but otherwise amazing drag! I love it. Carbon is the way to go I agree!

I have one of the TMX4's, good reel just one caveat is that I've had a few cases where the line goes in between the spool and the frame into the back-internals of the reel and gets caught in the gear. Kind of a serious pain lol
!

Ya a buddy got a set at the boat show and had the same issue first time out. Have to be sure to keep the amount of line on the reel back a bit as the reel on your starboard side will have a tendency to have the line jump off the spool into the housing. He had it happen just tightening down once the line was down.

well when i get my new reels i will give them a true work out as i fish all year

i was late to the party so did not get to field test the new reels TMX-5 but have ran the TMX-4's
now for two seasons along with the savvy med rods

the new rods are going to be really popular as the PNT version is Awesome...
but would like the under frame tip eye on the rod which the Amundson has, the one i have anyway
i also asked about doing different handles, but that maybe for a later date ....(watch this space...lol).

but back to the reel "its going to be a game changer" Nuff said :p

I gotta say I love this reel so far.
I fought two Springs today with it. Not huge ones but a 17 lb and a 14.5 lb'r. Most of the day I was only fishing from 100' and shallower but I did test the reel at a 160' depth for an hour or so running at around 2.3 mph with a 13 lb cannonball against the tide. No line creep whatsoever and didn't have to tighten down the drag so much that it would risk losing a fish if it hit hard and ran. I could still pull line off the reel with a light pull with two fingers; yet the drag still stuck in place no problem with no slipping.

And I love the reel clicker. Much louder than Islanders. Louder when the fish runs than when reeling in. Which is the way a reel should be IMO.
And one of the fish hit and ran without me noticing cause I had my back turned to the rod when the fish hit. I heard the reel before I saw the take. I was hoping that would happen! Nice and loud clicker.

I'll be buying a couple more :)
AmundsonReel.jpgAmundsonReel2.jpg

Right on CD.That's just what I wanted to here.Sounds like Amundson has a winner in the Theron.Now it's just a matter of scraping up the coin for a pair of these.Oh well it's only money,right.Thanks for the review!

The reels sound like they are great. You guys really should consider an option with just a SMALL, SIMPLE logo or your name stamped / etched on the back. I know there are a lot of guys on here that would love a good quality reel that solves issues with what is currently available but are not looking for any sort of graphics or bling. A silver option with no graphics would likely be a hit.

Just a thought, and hey it would even bring down your production costs...

The reels sound like they are great. You guys really should consider an option with just a SMALL, SIMPLE logo or your name stamped / etched on the back. I know there are a lot of guys on here that would love a good quality reel that solves issues with what is currently available but are not looking for any sort of graphics or bling. A silver option with no graphics would likely be a hit.

Just a thought, and hey it would even bring down your production costs...

I totally agree with this. But I like the way the reel fishes so much I'm going to buy another before my next trip out. I was fishing out there yesterday and today with an Islander on one side and the Amundson on the other. The Islander had to have the baby line clip on it in order for me to set the drag loose enough for my liking. The Amundson I didn't have to mess with once in the two days. Put the sucker down and leave it. I was fortunate enough to get in to a bunch of Springs yesterday and this morning. After this trip my Islanders won't be getting any more boat time. Sorry to say I know a lot of guys like them but I'm done with them. Two of my Springs I hit on this trip hit hard, release the clip and ran right away. They were both on the Amundson. No need to panic and reach for the drag right away like a lot of us do with our Islanders. With the Amundson; pick up the rod, set the hook, and worry no more. The clicker is more like an old school Shimano clicker, which I love. So I'm happy all around with it. And no I do not work for the company or have anything to do with them. I just spend a lot of my free time fishing so that stuff is important to me.

I've had two of the tmx5 blacks on my boat for a few months now as the sales rep fishes with me and love them . No line creep issues at all I've had islanders trophy's and and my favorite paper weight the rapala nc 1 and none are coming back on my boat . Was lucky enough to have alex an my boat a few days after the order arrived so he brought the blue reel out and wow still no line creep had it down too two hundred with no problem .They def have a winner here now i just want two blue's to balance out the rocket launchers

I picked up my blue TMX5 last week and tried them out on the weekend. NO LINE CREEP at all and ......I love the clicker sound.......old school. Trying mine with backing, 65lb braid and 30lb mono topshot. As RVP mentioned don't overspool these. Mine tend to load up a little on the side when reeling in but until I get some bigger fish ...they are not fully proven:)

Great to see some more guys using these reels and sharing your experience with them. If I have enough time to run out to Richmond tomorrow I'm going to pick up my second blue one. :) Definitely want two for my next fishing trip!

I'm going to pick up a couple really soon just to check out the drag system. I like tackle companies that are innovative and willing to try new things that the customers are looking for :). I would like to match them up to the new rod's as well. I fished the Savvy Sumo rods and TMX4's last year and really liked them. I can't wait to try out the new rods with the TMX5's!

I really hope some of the other tackle manufacturer's take note of what is happening here........

Last edited by a moderator:
I fished the Savvy Sumo rods and TMX4's last year and really liked them. I can't wait to try out the new rods with the TMX5's! .

john reels are the same build spec for either the PNT or Amundson just differing design finishing

PNT rods have a higher finish, full alloy reel seat with locking ring and solid butt & tip guide.

check with them for pricing on the rods and reels

there going to get a lot of interest now the reels are getting out there, and into capable hands with reports back that
users are very happy ..........
hope they have enough on order as i can see a rush in sales happening especially on the reels......

Sounds like these reels will be great for our application!
Only time will tell how well the alloy and the anodizing fair against corrosion.

I went up to PNT on Sat. and picked up a black Theron and a new rod to match (med action). They look great together----caught my first 10lber and was very pleased with the way the spoons went down and setting the drag was just light enough to let him run but still no creep and very positive. then a 15er hooked up and the reel screamed out---- really nice sound!!! I'm not too keen on the graphics but I just put it on the starboard side and issue resolved. Beautiful reel and I really like how quiet it is on the the retrieve. I've been fishing MR3"s for the last few seasons and certainly can't/won't criticize them. I haven't found creep to be an issue. But , so far I think the Theron may take over. As has been mentioned; time will tell how these guys handle the salt and day to day use. Two thumbs up!!!=== Thanks Rob!!!

well just got home and my rod and reel are awaiting for me to go fish tomorrow....:D

so will see how the new reel TMX-5 performs.
so at first glance it seams like a normal reel but pick it up and you'll notice it feels like it's well made.
a much higher standard than the TMX-4, the solid bigger chunkier handles are going to appeal to those who really want something to grab onto and the knurled finish means no slipping fingers with wet hands.
and should pose no issue come the winter for us die hard's

as to how well they will stand up ...
i fish all year round and have put my TMX-4's X 3 (2 years full seasons) through enough to say
the TMX-5 should not let you down

the drag system is where this reel sits apart
you all wanted reels that did not give the dreaded line creep
well Amundson have listened and PNT helped get this range of reels to the market place
all i say go enjoy your fishing as it just got a lot better if one of these is holding your line...

i'll post up pic's when its been ran a few times

john

oh i be running mine backwards ......lol

A new member here, but I've been regularly reading the forum for the last year and have learned lots. I've been following the feedback regarding the new Amundson TMX5 reel and I'm seriously considering buying one. I've read and appreciate members opinions so far but see no one has posted in a week about the reel. I'd just like to hear if anyone who has been using the reel lately can give more of your thoughts on performance ie: line creep when deep. I'm not so concerned with the look. Thanks

A new member here, but I've been regularly reading the forum for the last year and have learned lots. I've been following the feedback regarding the new Amundson TMX5 reel and I'm seriously considering buying one. I've read and appreciate members opinions so far but see no one has posted in a week about the reel. I'd just like to hear if anyone who has been using the reel lately can give more of your thoughts on performance ie: line creep when deep. I'm not so concerned with the look. Thanks
I've been using my two for a few weeks now. I love them. No line creep at all and I've been fishing them down to 200 ft in heavy tides. Love the clicker sound too as the fish takes line.

Back