2015 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

Well said Rollie, and great job to all involved. I concur 100%, and to that end, please check your PMs.

I agree, more volunteers are needed, at least 8-10 more people to step up and start working with the derby organizers months before the derby take place to make needed changes and improvements. Constructive feedback will be welcomed as those already involved want to do the best they can. BUT this derby and all the benefits it brings to the local economy, the generous sponsors, the future fish populations and local anglers, etc. will only happen if more people come forward as Rollie states and volunteer some time and talent. Hope to see a lot more people onboard next year to make this derby the best it can be!

This is a fantastic derby. It has provided my son and I with a new tradition, as well as my friend and his son. Our boys are the same age. We spend the weekend at pedder bay campsite, moor the boat for the weekend and fish. Its awesome coming in from the day, and seeing all the fish being weighed in. The excitement and atmosphere at the marina is really cool to be a part of, especially if you are 8 or 9 years old and love fishing. This was our 2nd year, and we'll be back again next year without a doubt.
We only managed to get a 12 pound spring, but thats okay. A few pinks to keep the boys busy and that was it.
Chatted with Chris Bos a bit too. Its always good chatting with him..

Thanks again for the great event, and we are certainly looking forward to next year!

I didn't participant for the derby. I believe that the derby went out so fanatic and ton of fun for everyone.
Rollie and Chris and other stuff had been hard working for everything to provide the fishermen/women/ kids.
I can't imaged that how could Rollie , Chris and other staff found over 100k toward to the derby. The donations/sponsors were so wonderful. I would love the derby to keep alive in the future. I believe the next derby will be improvement and turn out better! Salmon fishing is very valuable for our community.

If Rollie and Chris quit,then we will have no derby = no money to help for Sooke Chinook Recovery/, chinook might be gone and we will never see the fish in the future for our children/ grand children.

I d' like to give some money to support for salmon recovery/ enchainment . They will do work on the fish for us in the future!

My girl and I have been in the derby the last two years and this year was a definite improvement, and I'm not bitching about last year but it is just destined to improve. Rollie, Chris and whoever else involved my hats off to you. You folks did a bang up job. Is the arena noisy, yes......it's an arena for Christ sakes but I still heard everything. The food was good and there was lots if folks were feeling "peckish" later on. The power point was a good idea and I would keep it next year. Rollie I think you may have a volunteer for next year but I'll let her talk to you down on the dock.

Keep up the good work boys!
GnB

Ps-
Discus, with that haul you got on Sunday you should have been in the derby......you would have walked with a nice prize or two

What a beauty! Thanks for sharing the pic.

Loved the whoops from the winner when he went to collect his. Prize - much deserved celebration. Also loved the cheers the young man got who won one of the nice rod and reel combo's. Hopefully its nicer then his dads setup!

One thing I didn't see was the much talked about custom fish display box. I did peak at some nice fish in a blue cooler at the weigh scale but what happened to the wood box? Was it around and I just missed it?

The box dis show up but came during the meal. It was over by the bay door next to the girls handing you the beer. Thanks to the Pedder Bay staff who man handled it and delivered it down to the facility.

For those of you who have already got blood covered derby t-shirts and hats we do have extra that we need to sell to recover some of the costs. You have to order hat and shirts well in advance of your event date to ensure you get your supply. We ordered 600 of each and have about 100 of each left over. I have just started taking a small supply of both hats and shirts on each charter and offering them to my guests. I have sold 8 pieces ($80) in 2 days so it seems to be working. I have talked a few of the other guides in Sooke to do the same. If anyone here would like a spare or even if you weren't in the derby and would just like to help us out you can place an order with me. We have large and extra large shirts available and the hats are one size fit all. $10 each..hats or shirts. All funds go towards our Sooke Chinook project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barrie, they are put aside for you.

Back