2014 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Fishing West Coast for first time next week-end. Very excited, but have that, 'heading into unknown fish water' apprehension. Very accustom to fishing from Hornby to Port McNeil, w/ Tel Cove area being our favourite location. However, just got a somewhat bigger boat this yr, (21') and have planned our first venture to the Westside of the Island. Four days out of Ucluelet this coming week-end. No radar and I'm a worrier, so no trips way off shore for us. Wondering if we can find a place relatively close to land where we can hope to target some halibut. Any suggestions?

South bank or Lighthouse bank are both short runs from the harbor mouth.
A lot shallower water than you are used to for Halis at Telegraph.
Troll right on the bottom. You will see the boats.

Fishing West Coast for first time next week-end. Very excited, but have that, 'heading into unknown fish water' apprehension. Very accustom to fishing from Hornby to Port McNeil, w/ Tel Cove area being our favourite location. However, just got a somewhat bigger boat this yr, (21') and have planned our first venture to the Westside of the Island. Four days out of Ucluelet this coming week-end. No radar and I'm a worrier, so no trips way off shore for us. Wondering if we can find a place relatively close to land where we can hope to target some halibut. Any suggestions?

You can go just about anywhere. Just pay attention to the weather and have a good plotter. I use to run with a buddy of mine and ran to Big Bank and north as far as Portland Point outside. As long as you pay attention to the weather and water conditions, you'll be just fine. Good luck on your trip. Ucluelet is a fantastic place to fish.

Just got home. The cheap ferry for trailers on Wed. nights is proving popular. I whined my way onto the car deck for the 5:45 (my boat and truck are not overheight). Otherwise it would have been the 10:45!.
Fishing was good for me, but by no means stupid good. Biggest was 25lb. The weather limited me to South Bank or the inside (didn't go there). Interesting watching the outsiders troll right on top of the adipose on the chart, when the bait and fish and guides were often out deeper or more up on the bank depending on the current direction. It took some grinding through smalls and cohos waiting for a bite of bigger fish. There are fish in the brown patches. 5-6" herring imitated with blue/clear hootchies, 4.0 coyotes, and various other medium sized blue or green and silver spoons. Big spoons and plugs got no love. Bait worked well, but is a bit too busy fishing solo, in crowded foggy, lumpy long weekend conditions. Afternoon was sometimes as good or better than early. Starfish was starting to go off the last few days. Got some big lings and only one hali (lost 3). Back on a bigger boat 16-18th. Maybe consistent big boys will show by then. Saw no sockeyes jumping on the way in or out. Did have 2 orcas go under my bow while jigging closer to the broken group, very cool!

Fished Ukee for 2 weeks with a number of different buddies. I had good fishing just outside the harbour while the squid spawn was going on once I found out how to fish it. After then good success red can to Florencia. I was not inclined to join the fleet inside Florencia as it looked like it would be a little tense. The Adipose was good for us as well. Lots of smalls and coho with teeners and low to mid 20's. Hootchies (tiger prawn cuttlefish) and 31/2 - 4 in. spoons worked well for us. Will be back on the 15th to try again. Cant wait.

h.e.h.

Headed up to ukee on the 15th till the 19th, will probably be limited to the closer banks, (probably 7 mile as the furthest if that far) Anyone got any reports on where the fishing is hot? And if anyone could give me a nudge in the right direction to catching halis that would be greatly appreciated we tried turtle head for halis in july with a spreader bar and salmon belly set up and got nothing we all so tried trolling and nothing, and got skunked every other time we have tried to catch them!

the south side of amphrite usually holds hali. Usually just bottom bounce with a green glow flasher and glow hootchie. Never seemed hard that way, be aware you only really pick up chickens that way though. And stick close to the ledge of the bank.

South bank or Lighthouse bank are both short runs from the harbor mouth.
A lot shallower water than you are used to for Halis at Telegraph.
Troll right on the bottom. You will see the boats.
We are in a similar situation as fishmate. Anyone have coordinates for south bank or lighthouse bank they are willing to share? Thanks.

Lots of fish out there patience is key as they are patchy and really are moving around a lot more than other years. Below are recent typical 6 hr catches.

Attachments

• photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 937
  • IMG_0055.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0055.JPG.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 939
  • IMG_0054.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0054.JPG.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 936
Last edited by a moderator:
We are in a similar situation as fishmate. Anyone have coordinates for south bank or lighthouse bank they are willing to share? Thanks.

Try these:
South Bank N48 50.344 W125 34.938
Turtle Head N48 50.531 W125 30.787
Lighthouse Bank N48 53.833 W125 41.107

Hey everyone. Buddy from Australia coming in the next few days and we are staying in Ukee. We have a nice big boat but was wondering where the fish are at. thanks all

Will be there also. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are fishing for more than 30 minutes with no fish and no guide boats around, you may be in the wrong place and should pick up and move. The guides work it everyday, so they always start a new day with a plan based on the day before's info. The rest of us are fishing by guess work and need to move around more sometimes. That said, finding fish all alone is rewarding too. If your plan is to run way out to Big Bank or The Wreck, it's always worth it to try closer in for a short while because you might be running right over the fish.

From recent reports it seems that the adipose is producing well and possibly lighthouse bank. What has worked well for me is to fish where the majority of boats are.

BUMP!! Not a single report from one of the busiest sport fishing harbours on the entire West Coast of the Island for the entire second half of August? I couldn't make it back this summer but can usually live vicariously through others and their reports of great fishing. Surely someone on here's been fishing out of Ukee, out on the Ukee banks or on the north-west side of Barkley Sound? Anyone?

Ukee

Back