2014 Silva Bay Derby

The quality of the prizes for the Silva Bay derby continue to impress us. We should have well over $12,000 in prizes. Thanks AJ for the great selection of Jugheads and Investors Group in Nanaimo for the Bradley Smoker.

Looking forward to this again. I have 3 tickets for my boat and hope to weigh in more than one fish this year. It will be busy at the weigh station so drop your buddy off to do the weigh in and fish cleaning. I'll do the same.

Anyone else leaving the Vancouver side between 7am and 9am Saturday morning?

We also award prizes for the largest bottom fish, largest halibut and largest sole. As mentioned in an earlier post, the ling prizes go to fish closest to 15 pounds. (Prefer not to kill the larger lings which tend to be the females.) There is even a prize for the best hat at the award ceremonies. A local store has donated the burgers but you are on your own for refreshments.

I am new to the derby scene and have two questions

1) On sunday how does it work in silva bay where do people leave there boats during the awards and BBQ? Is it a free for all? I can imaging there are a lot of boats in the marina at that time.
2) Is every angler only allowed to weigh in one fish or can you weigh in all the fish you catch over the two days?

Capt

With regards to Silva Bay on Sunday for the awards ceremony and BBQ, please radio in on Channel 66A and the staff member on duty will advise you where to tie up. There are boats booked in for Sunday evening, so a Free for All is not what is wanted!! If last year was anything to go by, there will be a huge fleet of boats - this year it may even be necessary to raft folks coming in for the awards etc. Please just be patient.:)

This sounds like a very cool derby. Hope to do it one year.....If I wasn't in the Alpine Fathers Day on south island would be all over it...Good luck guys hope your weather is good up there! Maybe next year.

You can weigh in all the 'legal' fish you catch. Over 100 prizes so there is a good chance any chinook will win you something. Also prizes for coho, ling, halibut, rockcod and bottomfish. Legal size released chinook get you a chance in other draws. Just fill out one of the entries at the weigh station. There are also some hidden weight prizes for chinook.

A reminder that your derby ticket gets you a free hamburger at the award ceremony and the Silva Bay pub will be selling salads and beer on site.

Don't forget to mark fish on your license immediately after boating them, use barbless hooks and abide by the 62cm size limit for chinook. Our local enforcement tends to work derby weekend.
Good luck

Just wondering how many tickets were sold out of the 500 for this derby we've got our tickets we'll be out on channel 88 "just one more" should be fun thanks to all the organizers and all the people who donated to make this happen good luck to all

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard reports of a tyee today on the radio , can anyone confirm?, well wasn't for lack of trying , Little fugly boat is hard to fish in 18 knots.. Goodluck to all the SFBC members still fighting the wind, mother nature is a cold cruel *****....

Last edited by a moderator:
also heard on the radio, someone said a 31.14oz was leader, then I beleive a 26 . We gave it a good shot, Got one small red spring and released a coho, too far to pound our way to Silva to record. Weather site said it was ESE 6 at noon off entrance, yeah ok, it sure wasn't 6 off Snake Is.... also brought home 20lbs of slad for the garden and flagged a broken dock piling floating vertically and barely above surface, west side of Hudson, watch for that beast...

Was out yesterday, Lots of 20" hatchery coho around the fingers. Lost a hog,biggest one I've had on all year. Allmost spooled me,wind caught the boat and tangled the other line in the riggers... sucks going against the wind by yourself

Back