2013 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Wall of death?

The left side wall of the cuddy has a multitude of pre-rigged gear hanging within very easy reach and right Ready To Go. I affectionately call it my Wall Of Death, for it has most of my main Go-To's arranged for easy selection. Will take a picture and post when I am able...

Cheers,
Nog

The left side wall of the cuddy has a multitude of pre-rigged gear hanging within very easy reach and right Ready To Go. I affectionately call it my Wall Of Death, for it has most of my main Go-To's arranged for easy selection. Will take a picture and post when I am able...

Cheers,
Nog
I would love to see that Wall, post away........

I had a pretty poor weekend overall (Sunday for horrible......for me) for any springs of any reasonable size and quantities. Just curious what areas that were producing for others, fished BB shallows, Outer South, Lighthouse and the Wreck this past weekend for others.....even stopped by Hyson for a quick 30-45mins (no one was there).
thanks

Nothin good showing in those areas for weeks now.. Ya gotta run out to big bank...!! Nipple, whales tale, rats nose.. Sorry ya missed em:(

Sorry for not being clearer, I did fish Big Bank - shallows and the Whale tail, I did caught some fish (few 10-15lbs) Saturday but it was overall very slow in comparison to previous outings. Sunday I didn't break the 10lb barrier (brutal). Each morning I fished a couple of hours for salmon, than started dragging bottom for my halis and left for other spots thinking it had to be better somewhere else. Just more curious if other spots out on Big Bank were producing or if others just did a hell alot better than me.

It's almost over. Almost all the American Chinooks have gone by and due to DFO incompetence we don't have many of our own fish anymore so don't be surprised. Look at what happened to the Robertson Creek run.........a travesty

Write your MP if you don't like how things are going>

Don't forget GREED. Just look at all the oversized springs getting killed inside everyday (Swale Rock etc) . DFO is the worst ran organization in the history of mankind but if people weren't so greedy it wouldn't be an issue.

Ucluelet fishing report:

The sun is out in Ucluelet!!
936155_10152872824035511_222748680_n.jpg

The past two days have been gorgeously hot and sunny.

After a bit of a slow spell brought on by the full moon, we’re back in action over at Big Bank. We brought in tons of Chinook, anywhere from 10-25lbs, some 5-15lb Coho, and a few Pink. Everyone is getting their limits, with lots of releases (~25), keeping guests and guides on their toes all day! Spoons, plugs & hootchies have been the recent winners.
Just a reminder that any wild Coho need to be released safely.

If you've been dreaming about going fishing one last time before summer’s over, now you have no excuse! We’re offering $300 off our regular price for the last week of August! Book from Aug 26-29 and get a full 8h of fishing for $997 (instead of $1297 regular).

aug-26-29-promo.gif

Call to book!

See you on the water! .. Don't forget your sunscreen!

The Crew @ Big Bear

Big bear,
Do you know if any of the coho and springs have moved closer in (I.e. south bank, hysen, turtle head?. Planning a trip for the long weekend, havnt had a lot of luck in the past this time of year, seems like the fish are pretty spread out.

TipUp

Wow, no Ukee posts for a week and a half, what's goin' on over their guys? Somebodies gotta be fishing the Sound or the Banks outta Ukee! How bout the Salmon Ladder Derby fish off? Anyone have anything to report at all? Not sure I'm going to be able to make my Sep trip this year and need to get my fix vicariously through others at least. LOL.

Ukee

Ucluelet Fishing Report - September begins

Ucluelet Fishing Report
August comes to an end!

Things are slowly winding down here in Ucluelet as our seasons are changing from an outstanding summer into the fall and winter months. Fishing in the Ucluelet area this summer was amazing, with full limits had by all of our guests. Thank you to each and every one of you for your continued support in making Big Bear a premium fishing destination on the West Coast of Vancouver Island.
This year’s Ucluelet Salmon Ladder Derby was again a huge success with our Guide Brett Thomas taking first place with a 33.7 lb tyee. Way to go Brett!! That has Big Bear winning the season long derby two years in a row. Let’s hope for a three peet.

b6e129af-22f7-4784-bb49-a675f3a56eda.jpg

Chris Grotke also made the top ten when he hauled in this nice 20-pounder, putting him at #5 on the Derby board!
3cee39cf-52d7-4fa0-b6c0-27d4b0e371c1.jpg

Other Big Bear customers that placed in the top ten were Stewart Graham at #3 with a 22lb 06oz Chinook, and Phil Attfield at #6 with another 20-pounder! Congrats guys!!

As we move into the fall months, look for the last of the Chinook salmon to move through and the start of our amazing Coho runs. The prediction for the Coho runs this year is very promising and we are already seeing a lot of large Coho hit the docks. These fish can get a bit picky as they home in on their natal streams before spawning; changing up the gear often until you find their preference is a must.

Small spoons, hootchies, and the famous cutplug are all excellent choices. Fish them shallow in the am and move a little deeper as the day warms and brightens up. Also, try your hand at these fish with the fly rod. An 8-10 wt. with a medium sinking line and your favorite streamer patterns in the prop wash will surely entice these acrobatic rockets.

Big Bear is also proud to announce the opening of the Whiskey Landing Lodge. This premier hotel is located right on the harbour and next to our private marina. Look for upcoming fishing packages for the 2014 season. For information check www.whiskeylanding.com.

Don’t hesitate to give us a call to book your fishing vacation of a lifetime with Big Bear Salmon Charters.
We’re already booking for next year with early-bird rates… call us for more info!

1-855-972-5666(Salmon)
www.bigbearsalmoncharters.com

Tight Lines,
The Crew @ Big Bear

Congrats Big Bear on your winning fish. Tons of coho anywhere in Barkley Sound off shore the coho have been so thick it's hard to get the deep line down with out a coho breaking the gear off the release. Springs seem to be producing best lately at Big Bank but nothing huge most seem to be between 10 - 15lbs with the odd 20. The last big rains really seemed to move the springs along. Halibut and Ling fishing has been great all year and continues to be. The long weekend we had a visit from fisheries thought a whale watching boat was playing chicken with us lol. Until it was pretty much up against us, nice folks checked us out and headed off. There were 3 of them in an orange coast guard zodiak with twin 175 etec's I'm sure some of you saw them if you were out, saw them later in the day again bouncing boat to boat.

Did a fish yesterday between storm fronts things have slowed down boated 2 springs 1 coho and 2 hali hooked about 6 other fish that got loose while guest was playing them. Seas were pretty lumpy with thick fog but all in all a decent day.

Did a fish yesterday between storm fronts things have slowed down boated 2 springs 1 coho and 2 hali hooked about 6 other fish that got loose while guest was playing them. Seas were pretty lumpy with thick fog but all in all a decent day.

Hi Brock
Nice to hear that there is the odd fish still around. Was there any size to the springs?

h.e.h.

Hi heh,

The springs are typical bbq size winter feeders caught right on the bottom and the coho that were so thick are gone but the one coho we did pick up was a maybe 12 pounds. The sound was so full of seaweed from the short storms we have had lately. It was pretty much a waist of time not to mention again the non stop coho action is gone in the sound, the rains must have flushed them to the rivers. We then fished 5 - 6 miles out a little south of long beach pretty much out front of Wick Beach. The seas were a little to tough to do the run out to Big Bank they were 2.5 to 3 plus meters but big intervals so it was manageable. The other 6 fish we hooked that got loose were most likely winter feeder springs given the fight they put up and maybe a one good size hali. Found some whole herring teaser heads and rigged them up with medium size herring which picked up almost all the fish. Couple fish puked up 3.5 - 4" herring, there were a lot of shakers so I opted away from the small spoons. Are you done for the season now? Saw your boat for sale what the next rig you have in mind?

Hi Brock
Let there be no mistake the Hit Em Hard boat is NOT for sale LOL. I have far to much of my heart and soul not to mention $$$ invested to consider selling her. The boat is winterized and stored for the winter. I of course am back home in Vancouver working and going through fishing withdrawals until next year, I do like however like to know what is going on in my favourite locations around the Island. Thanks for the info.
Don

Hi Don,

Good to hear I was wondering when I saw a boat that I mistakenly thought was yours for sale. I looking forward to seeing you back down at the dock next season any idea when you will be back in the area. May is a good time lots of good fishing in the sound and a good time to work out any of the corks I find. I like to post when ever I get a chance after being out on the water. Not sure when the next time will be so I'm starting to get the same with drawls lol! Snuck in a Tuna fish this year was the first and a blast, the fishery has it's own style that's for sure and Tuna just hammer the gear. We only got 8 and I'm sick of canning not sure what one would do if they got more would be a hell of a job processing all the fish and unless you were giving some away not sure how you could eat it all.

All the Best!
Brock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back