2013 Bamfield Tuna Shootout recaps and pics

Charter Tofino

I'll do a big write up later this week but I figured I'd get started on posting up some pics.

The Rodzilla crew!

F0E9F84F-8B6B-4976-8AE1-67C99D61C473-901-00000053E76E7B0F_zps26a1226a.jpg

Harper44 throwing one over the rail

1326E655-BBFB-4200-89A6-9BADDFEB1761-901-00000053DD016034_zpsfb7fd63b.jpg

The BC Tough boys going to war

B5ADBAAE-4115-41B6-9436-7E64AFF7036C-901-000000543D56F2E3_zps1a1019b5.jpg

6097C123-365E-4C1E-86D6-6B82DDBDBCF6-901-000000544808219C_zps525d1d06.jpg

A17F301F-65E3-46FA-88D4-E93C69E29304-901-00000053EDDAC186_zpsfb5ee543.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly, really appreciate these pictures and stories, just amazing what you guys are doing out there. Definitely going on my bucket list. If discovery channel filmed you guys for a season it would make "wicked tuna" look like community tv, lol. Keep em coming !

How many miles do you get out there before you lose sight of land ?

On a clear day you can see mountains from 45 miles offshore. I have never been further but could see them no problem at 45 miles.

Great work on the shootout guys. Looks like a blast.

Not sure if I like the Hardy Weirdos name bit it sure was fun. Just got back to Hardy . Will post a full report tmr about how wicked it was.

Firelight, Stevo, and myself were on the Sculpin during the event. We got up there late on Weds evening after picking the boat up at Alberni Power and Marine. I had a new 200 Optimax installed on her and I am really happy with it :). We were able to gas up and ice down the boat once we got there. The rest of the night was getting the boat ready and getting some shut eye.

Up in the morning and down to Mills to go over strategy with some of the other boats. We decided to just follow the pack out and go to an area they were fishing the day before.

Sunrise.

It turned out to be the perfect move. We heard some radio chatter and co-ordinates and went straight there and dropped the lines. Firelight and I used Birdsnest's method of deploying the gear and it was all out in no time. We started fishing at 9:30 a.m. and had 13 in the boat by 11:30!!! Steve lost his tuna virginity big time!!!

First double of the day.

Mid morning mayhem.

Firelight covered in tuna blood and loving it.

We just kept within about a 3 mile radius and kept doing figure eights while chunking the water. I can't say for sure if this helped but it appeared to.

Stuffed slush bucket.

We were fishing next to Freedom22 for a while near the end of the day.

We ended up with black jack 21 and were low on ice so we decided to head for the barn. We tried halibut fishing on the way in with no luck.

Dak coming to say hi back at the dock.

Stevo and Firelight with the line up.

Continued..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't keep a good boat down for long..Right on Sculpin is back in Action! pretty good first haul for the Optimax also congrats!:cool:

We tried to fish on Friday. The coast guard gave the green light but when we got out past Beale it was nasty. 2 meter seas at 5 seconds!!! It was blowing from the south around 15-20 as well to add insult to injury. We made it out to around 7 mile with Tidal Chaos only a mile or so behind us. We heard Slivo on the radio saying they were at big bank heading back in from the overnighter and only doing 10-12 mph!!! We listened to the forecast on the radio one more time then made the call to turn around. Kevin has some awesome video of Tidal Chaos running in that mess with the whole radio conversation between us and Slivo.

We decided to head downwind on the way in to make it a bit easier ride. We ended up out front of Cree and we did a little jigging. Tidal Chaos's brother in law caught a really nice ling. We managed a few tasty fish as well.

We headed back to see how the overnighter boats made out. The story's about the weather etc. out there are unreal.

Dak's crew cleaning some tuna.

On Saturday I had to do some measuring over at the new Coastguard station so Stevo and I went over there in the liquid sunshine. I took a short video of the sideways wind and rain.

(Click the pic for the movie).

After that we headed over to Grappler to hang out with some of the folks over there. Tidal Chaos's crew made us fresh fish and chips. Thanks again guys!!!

Slivo and whyknot cleaning fish.

Tuna Don, trophywife, and Tykedeeblue.

Tykedeeblue in the flesh. It was really nice meeting you Terry!

Continued...

IMGP3347_zps21a2e264.jpg

Sunrise over the WCVI Thursday.

IMGP3357_zpsa62331d1.jpg

IMGP3358_zps6aad101b.jpg

IMGP3359_zps935b697f.jpg

Typical action all day on the Alberta Striper.

IMGP3363_zps6b3a0718.jpg

Sassy weigh-in volunteer.

IMGP3364_zpsccaa8342.jpg

Action central @ Mills Landing-on the go from 05:30 to 22:00 most days.

IMGP3368_zpsf23f9093.jpg

The lure combo I knew would work-and it did.

IMGP3371_zps6f551f56.jpg

IMGP3374_zps99128132.jpg

Best Beer in Bamtown.

The closing ceremonies. I think everyone walked away with something.

The board.

Tidal Chaos, crew, and my crew.

OBH, Bod, Trophy Hunter, Tuna Don.

Slivo, whyknot, tykedee, and Slivo's father.

The Hardy Boy's. Nothing weird about these guys. It was great meeting you Wade and crew!

Tidal Chaos with their third place victory. Bit of a mix up because they were fishing off a boat called Willy's Rig. Tidal Chaos and crew had the ticket.

Congrats buddy!

Sculpin, I am not seeing your pictures. They are coming up as empty photobucket boxes. Is it just me and if so, how do I fix it? Thanks.;) eman

Not just you eaglemaniac. Sculpin, looks like you may have run out of room at photobucket.

I finally hit my free bandwidth limit lol. Too many tuna pictures in one month. It's fixed now.

Back