2012 TUNA trips

Just got back from 2 days out at the Barclay canyon we were able to boat 13 the first day and 18 the next. Two made it to the chest via salmon gear which was quite the rodeo. MR2 reel , clear teaser head with anchovie and a #4 hook.Justa note netting them is wierd lol. Was good to meet all the different folks, we were commisioned to deliver a shipment of ice and gear to the overnight floaters, gonna be honest a bit of the gear was tested and worked guite well lol. Thanks FB...We made the delivery then the crew headed back for the beach.....musta been a good party out there lol

This is only my third time out and the excitement settled down enough to make a couple observations. There were no bites for us while the porpoise were doing their thing , once they were past and the albatros started skimming the surface we started nailing tuna. that happened for three different bites for us, curious if that is a pattern that is more than a coincedence or were we just reading too much into it?

The following is a summary of the trip written by one of the crew for his wife. He edited out most of the sappy stuff for this post:

When this goes thru that will mean we are close to shore again after 36 hrs offshore. I don't have cell phone signal out here in the open ocean nor in the Bamfield harbor, but do get it just outside the harbor.* Mills Landing (the fishing lodge) does have wifi with spotty reception so I can also send emails from there even though can't phone.

As I'm writing this I'm sitting up taking my watch from 3-5am while Dave & Doug catch some sleep.* We are drifting about 50 miles offshore near the US nautical border, just SW of Barclay Canyon.* There were 5 boats out here today and 4 have stayed the night.* We rafted up earlier in the evening (tied all the boats side-side) and socialized while we filleted our days catch, then split up to drift for the night spaced out a mile apart.* Really good bunch of guys that keep in touch on the saltwater fishing forum/blog.* Dave got radar on his boat so we have a perimeter alarm set up but one persons stays up anyway to ensure we don't drift into another boat or get in the way of a large ship.* Big ocean, small probability but prudent.* Whoever is up alone also wearing life jacket and he got an extra fuel bladder to have a reserve fuel tank.* The bioluminescence in the water is amazing.

We saw a few humpback whales on the way out from Pt Alberni yesterday, very cool. The salmon has been poor hunting out here all summer so will see if we can find some on the way in tommorow.* Slow start to tuna today but then stellar.

We left the lodge at 5:45 and motored in the dark until the sun came up by 7.* By 8:30 water had warmed up to over 58F and we put lines in, saw some tuna jumping on surface and had a couple on & lost them at the boat.* Didn't land 1st one until 12:30 & was still ones here & there until we picked up & cruised over SW of Barclay Canyon (had a thermal water chart from Google Earth & went hunting for warmer water).* Water warmed up to 62F and we entered the kill zone.* Was a rodeo after that, we'd often have 2 one at a time, sometimes 3 or 4 which is a challenge with only 3 in the boat and one driving.* Not sure how many we landed today, probably 20-25 tuna, will have to count fillets when we get back to the lodge and vacuum seal them, all tucked away in the cooler on salt flaked ice.* Could have easily brought another 10 in also but decided that was enough & kicked back to chill & carve.* Lot of work (and fun) bringing them in and then same amount of time to fillet, all good size.* Jeff on one of the other boats is a guide and said there is a border spat between the US/Canada commercial tuna fisheries so the price of fresh tuna has more than doubled, each of these would be about $80 in the store.

Got into a pod of dolphins today, must have been 40-50 of them all different sizes.* They were amazing, breaching, jumping, flipping, all the tricks you see at Seaworld but au natural out here in the deep blue.* Many times right up beside the boat also, jumping out of our wake or running along the bow.* Smart enough not to take the lures

When we rafted up & started cleaning fish a dog shark and a blue shark came in for some of the remnants, right up behind the boats.* We put a LED squid lure down earlier also but nothing on it.* Apparently can jig for pomfritz out here also but didn't get that ambitious either.

All very unique opportunities to do & see things that most people don't even know about.*

LOLOLOLOL!!! Day off for me, buncha boats out there working it now, gonna go to the beach and soak up sum suds and rays while watching for the fleet to come back.... More to come!!

Why the heck do I have to be on a business trip in central Mexico.......great job on hammering the tar outa them guys!

LOLOLOLOL!!! Day off for me, buncha boats out there working it now, gonna go to the beach and soak up sum suds and rays while watching for the fleet to come back.... More to come!!

**** you Jeff
I feel like I got hammered in the hot tub and missed the party :(

2 more days of ****** camp food and black flys, then it's on.

Good job Guy's!!

See ya Wednesday.

LoL!!! Thats just awesome buddy!!

Cant wait till you get here the energy and fun of it all has just been insane.

Get some protein outaa them flys at least FartMakkker.

Less action today but every boat had tunas.

Beach was awesome, couple cuties from outta town that just rolled out.

What a country.

**** you Jeff
I feel like I got hammered in the hot tub and missed the party :(

2 more days of ****** camp food and black flys, then it's on.

Good job Guy's!!

See ya Wednesday.

The following is a summary of the trip written by one of the crew for his wife. He edited out most of the sappy stuff for this post:

When this goes thru that will mean we are close to shore again after 36 hrs offshore. I don't have cell phone signal out here in the open ocean nor in the Bamfield harbor, but do get it just outside the harbor.* Mills Landing (the fishing lodge) does have wifi with spotty reception so I can also send emails from there even though can't phone.

As I'm writing this I'm sitting up taking my watch from 3-5am while Dave & Doug catch some sleep.* We are drifting about 50 miles offshore near the US nautical border, just SW of Barclay Canyon.* There were 5 boats out here today and 4 have stayed the night.* We rafted up earlier in the evening (tied all the boats side-side) and socialized while we filleted our days catch, then split up to drift for the night spaced out a mile apart.* Really good bunch of guys that keep in touch on the saltwater fishing forum/blog.* Dave got radar on his boat so we have a perimeter alarm set up but one persons stays up anyway to ensure we don't drift into another boat or get in the way of a large ship.* Big ocean, small probability but prudent.* Whoever is up alone also wearing life jacket and he got an extra fuel bladder to have a reserve fuel tank.* The bioluminescence in the water is amazing.

We saw a few humpback whales on the way out from Pt Alberni yesterday, very cool. The salmon has been poor hunting out here all summer so will see if we can find some on the way in tommorow.* Slow start to tuna today but then stellar.

We left the lodge at 5:45 and motored in the dark until the sun came up by 7.* By 8:30 water had warmed up to over 58F and we put lines in, saw some tuna jumping on surface and had a couple on & lost them at the boat.* Didn't land 1st one until 12:30 & was still ones here & there until we picked up & cruised over SW of Barclay Canyon (had a thermal water chart from Google Earth & went hunting for warmer water).* Water warmed up to 62F and we entered the kill zone.* Was a rodeo after that, we'd often have 2 one at a time, sometimes 3 or 4 which is a challenge with only 3 in the boat and one driving.* Not sure how many we landed today, probably 20-25 tuna, will have to count fillets when we get back to the lodge and vacuum seal them, all tucked away in the cooler on salt flaked ice.* Could have easily brought another 10 in also but decided that was enough & kicked back to chill & carve.* Lot of work (and fun) bringing them in and then same amount of time to fillet, all good size.* Jeff on one of the other boats is a guide and said there is a border spat between the US/Canada commercial tuna fisheries so the price of fresh tuna has more than doubled, each of these would be about $80 in the store.

Got into a pod of dolphins today, must have been 40-50 of them all different sizes.* They were amazing, breaching, jumping, flipping, all the tricks you see at Seaworld but au natural out here in the deep blue.* Many times right up beside the boat also, jumping out of our wake or running along the bow.* Smart enough not to take the lures

When we rafted up & started cleaning fish a dog shark and a blue shark came in for some of the remnants, right up behind the boats.* We put a LED squid lure down earlier also but nothing on it.* Apparently can jig for pomfritz out here also but didn't get that ambitious either.

All very unique opportunities to do & see things that most people don't even know about.*
In a word...Awesome! You fellas are the pioneers in a brand new fishery,the W.C.V.I sports fleet targeting offshore migrating tuna.These tuna threads are great reads! Cant wait to try it out...

Here some tuna burps we had the other day. Its hard to match the hatch when everything is hardly over and inch long.
IMG_9655.jpg

thats the same belly contents we found in all of our tuna, except 1. Will post some pics soon enough but we caught one (20lbs) that had a 10" mackeral, two 8" herring, and what I was told, an 8" flying fish (kind of looked like a needlefish)...the belly was STUFFED. I was wondering where and why this fish was feeding like that, when all anyone found was krill and small octo's.

We did catch some that had a literal handful of krill in their bellys as well.

For you Tuna Guys - is anyone running the Sirius Satellite weather out here for the SST's? Saw this http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/...rad NSS 8 Engine View/shot28.png?t=1327015622 and wondered if they cover the West Coast of VI.

Tried to get it installed to work with my Simrad NSS12 but was told that it is a US product not supported in Canada. Would have to buy the hardware from the US and get a US billing account but I am sure it would work.

next year.......

I found some 4.5" clones or Zukers online for 5$ each plus shipping. We only had one on the last day we fished(as seen in the attached photo) and it spanked them hard. It was the top producer that day behind the dive board. It came with a smaller tuna hook that had barbs. I have not found exactly what hooks to get with this but the site does sell them. And they come in all my favorite colors except blue and white.
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/sevenstrand.htm
IMG_0339.jpg

I want to try some smaller stuff next year. Thanks for pointing those ones out Birdsnest. I like the Zuccini and Mexi Flag the best but those Loco Joe's look interesting too!

Heres a shot of the belly contents of the Ably we bonked on Thursday. A hungry hungry hippo!

P9214763.jpg

For smaller 'double hooks' ,this may sound like bojack style but... I took some of my Hali trebles in 6/0 and tore off the odd hook where it was soldered to the pair - Looks about the right size double for smaller clone style lures / cuttle size hootchies/ or whatever

For smaller 'double hooks' ,this may sound like bojack style but... I took some of my Hali trebles in 6/0 and tore off the odd hook where it was soldered to the pair - Looks about the right size double for smaller clone style lures / cuttle size hootchies/ or whatever

Thats funny. I did the same thing. If you want smaller hooks I found them. It is a mustad 7982HS 5/0 for the smaller clones which I just orded a whack of!!

I know it is early to start thinking about this but the last 2 years I caught tuna on and around july 06. Hopefully some others will be thinking about tuna fishing then. There seems to be far less weeds then so it was very relaxing fishing. Think about it. Might as well start the tuna thread for next year early.Do you think the moderators would start a section on this forum for tuna only?
IMG_0327.jpg

Back